U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 08:44 PM

1,668 posts, read 3,351,360 times

Advertisements

I'm a 48 year old male who has endured two basal cell carcinoma skin cancer surgeries. Everything is fine now although I have scarring on my face.
I am in the process of selecting a new Doctor and would respect your ut. Are there some of you that would comment on your Dermatologists that you have seen for skin cancer related problems?.
Like all people I need one that will conduct an extensive skin /body examination.
I currently have an appointment with Dr. Scott Henslee, San Antonio Skin and Cancer Clinic. This will be my first visit with him. I know those of you that have or have had skin cancer(s) will understand my concerns.
*For those of you that have a suspicious area (mole, bump, sore,etc) on your body I erge you to have it checked. I had numerous sunburns as a young teenager and young adult. If any of you have had the same I strongly suggest that you see a Dermatologist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 08:56 PM

14,613 posts, read 31,140,476 times
My dermatologist is Dr. John Gonzalez in the Medical Center. He's already told me I'm going to get skin cancer. He removed 2 suspicious moles....both benign, but my mom and my mom's mom both have/had it. (Grandma had basal cell--mom currently suffers from squamous cell on her hands and arms) I am freckled, pretty fair skinned, and I also have moles. However, I am a sun worshipper. I have to train myself to wear 85 spf sunblock and stay out of the sun, but it's been slow going. Sunscreen just doesn't cut it for people like me.

Anyway, Dr. Gonzalez is wonderful, thorough, and very busy. I would not hesitate to recommend him. Also, totally agree with you about getting people to make an appointment--this South Texas sun can be a killer.

Old 05-20-2009, 08:58 PM

3,471 posts, read 17,211,265 times
I'm a very white Irsihman and as a result of numerous sunburns, I also need frequent checks. I've also had several surgeries and thankfully, becasue of treatment and care, no scars. At least not on my face. I use Kim Ross on McCullough at Methodist Hosp. Professional building. I like the way she handles things.

Old 05-20-2009, 09:00 PM

109 posts, read 473,520 times
Dr. Henslee and his partner Dr. Weinstein are listed in SA Magazine's Top SA Doctors as referred by their peers awards. I specifically sought out Dr. Weinstein for this reason, plus I believe that they both specialize in cancer. My husband, whose family has a pretty extensive history of melanoma cancer goes to Dr. Weinstein and my son goes to Dr. Henslee for eczema.We have been really satisfied with our experiences with both of these doctors. Hopefully someone will be able to give you more solid advice but I wanted to chime in and give you some reassurance that you will be seeing well respected doctors, I know how serious skin cancer is.

Old 05-20-2009, 09:42 PM

580 posts, read 1,275,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
My dermatologist is Dr. John Gonzalez in the Medical Center. He's already told me I'm going to get skin cancer. He removed 2 suspicious moles....both benign, but my mom and my mom's mom both have/had it. (Grandma had basal cell--mom currently suffers from squamous cell on her hands and arms) I am freckled, pretty fair skinned, and I also have moles. However, I am a sun worshipper. I have to train myself to wear 85 spf sunblock and stay out of the sun, but it's been slow going. Sunscreen just doesn't cut it for people like me.

Anyway, Dr. Gonzalez is wonderful, thorough, and very busy. I would not hesitate to recommend him. Also, totally agree with you about getting people to make an appointment--this South Texas sun can be a killer.
I also see Dr. Gonzalez. Haven't had any problems since I've been here, but he knows about my past (serious problems), and he seems pretty good. I'll definitely head back to him for my next check-up.

Old 05-20-2009, 10:03 PM

I have a coworker who also goes to Dr. Gonzalez. He seems to be pleased with him. Three years ago after I had my first surgery another coworker started seeing a Dermatologist. He has had a couple of minor surgeries. Now he's at the point where he no longer wants to go outside. I have explained to him over and over that if you take the necessary steps like the sunscreen, long sleeves, a hat with a wide brim you will be okay. His problems like all ouf ours are results of skin damage when we were young.
sapphire -I know that a tan looks healthy and attractive but at the same time I know you are taking the right steps to prevent any further skin damage.
ShaneSA -We are in the same boat so to speak with our light / fair skin tone.
hoddys2- I thank you for the information about Dr. Henslee. That was something I never knew. I am one to ask many questions when I make an appointmant to see a new Doctor. Melanoma as you know is the worst type of skin cancer one can get. I know that your husband will see Dr. Weinstein on a regular basis. His experiences will also be an encouragement for your son.

For years my biggest fear was getting skin cancer on my nose. Well that happened and it resulted in extensive MOHS Surgery to remove it and then three operations by a Plastic Surgeon to correct the damage. That operation used a procedure referred to as a Skin Flap.

I respect all of the input you gave me. It's great to talk with folks like you.

Old 05-21-2009, 06:56 PM

Thank you JuneOf48 - I sincerely hope that you and the others are doing fine with your skin problems.

Old 05-21-2009, 07:11 PM

1,276 posts, read 3,433,607 times
Thanks for the spark that's been lit under my behind now after reading these posts. I too am very fair-skinned, and had numerous sunburns as a child/young adult and one really bad sunburn about 4 years ago. I have noticed a couple of moles on my face that seem to be getting bigger, although they aren't rigid or discolored, they have changed in size. I will call my primary care tomorrow to see when I can get in to WHMC.

Old 05-21-2009, 07:46 PM

311 posts, read 744,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hadleyzoo View Post
Thanks for the spark that's been lit under my behind now after reading these posts. I too am very fair-skinned, and had numerous sunburns as a child/young adult and one really bad sunburn about 4 years ago. I have noticed a couple of moles on my face that seem to be getting bigger, although they aren't rigid or discolored, they have changed in size. I will call my primary care tomorrow to see when I can get in to WHMC.
I've seen a derm. at WHMC that department seems very good over there

Old 05-21-2009, 07:46 PM

hadleyzoo- I have heard fantastic praise about Military Doctors at WHMC and BAMC. I know that you'll be in great hands.

I can remember when I was young and tanning was the "in thing" as it still is. Coppertone used to have Billboards with a little girl on the beach and her dog pulling at her bathing suit. They were showing you her tan. If we only knew then what we know now.
I grew up in California and during the summer months we went water skiing every weekend (both Sat. and Sun.) I would get through it during the week and again came the weekend. If I had a dollar for every sunburn!
I'm really glad I brought up this subject. Several years ago I talked to a group at work about skin cancer. I had already been through it once. I was awaiting the results of a biopsy which came back as basal cell carcinoma. Another operation.
I was amazed about the number of people who later came to me and said that they visited a Dermatologist, many for the first time. There were two who found out they had skin cancer.
Please stress that a biopsy be taken. Some Dr's. may want to freeze the area to see if it returns. I learned the hard way by letting a small spot (about the size of a pin head) be frozen three times. The fourth time a biopsy was taken. Well that small spot on my nose turned out to be the size of a nickel when it was removed. I wish you the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio