U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 10:43 PM

38 posts, read 157,132 times

Advertisements

I've been looking for authentic NY Pizza and have come up short here in SA. Has anyone been to Grimaldi's. I heard it's decent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 02:34 PM

5,142 posts, read 11,447,288 times
There's a no so good review of the restaurant on Yelp.com You can find other restaurants and places on there when you're looking for reviews. It has helped me tons and I offer my insight on there as well.

Old 05-21-2009, 02:44 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,814 posts, read 33,131,390 times
FYI, MySA.com says it just opened with dinner hours in early May and won't be open for lunch until June.

Food Flashes

Hot Spot: Grimaldi's Pizzeria (http://www.mysanantonio.com/entertainment/restaurant/Hot_Spot_Grimaldis_Pizzeria.html - broken link)

Old 05-22-2009, 09:06 AM

915 posts, read 1,658,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnromero27 View Post
I've been looking for authentic NY Pizza and have come up short here in SA. Has anyone been to Grimaldi's. I heard it's decent.
Have you been to Dough? They are in the league with NY's best.

Grimaldi's (the chain now in SA) is run by family members of the original (not part of the chain) in Brooklyn. The original is definitely in NYC's top 3. I'm looking forward to giving them a try when they start serving lunch. The original was a regular haunt when I lived in the city.

Old 05-22-2009, 09:11 AM

5 posts, read 13,427 times
Is Lucas' Pizza still around. Used to be one in Ingram park mall, right between Alladins Castle and Olgas' kitchen. LUCAS' PIZZA ROCKS! (or rocked)
That stuff still there?

Old 05-22-2009, 10:01 AM

1,086 posts, read 2,945,321 times
From past experience any place that uses a Brick oven purposely chars the crust. They had a place where I used to live called Anthony's coal fire pizza that was the same thing. If I went to a pizza place and they burnt my pizza I would return it..lol

Old 06-15-2009, 08:06 AM

28 posts, read 62,896 times
I went to Grimaldi's and the Pizza was very good. I would compare the Pizza with Dough. However, the whole experience was ruined by a horrible waiter.

Waiter comes to our table takes our food order, but does not ask what we want to drink.
While explaining the pizzas, he is distracted twice and leaves to talk to another waiter.
Three tables that arrived afte us receive their salads and pizzas before we receive our salad.
He constantly blamed the kitchen for all the problems and says that no one back there speaks english. (yet none of the other waiters seem to be having this problem).
We have to ask for our salad, and he claims it was mixed up with another table.
We receive two salads (we only ordered one)
My glass of water is half full and he takes it to refill it. He never comes back with it.
I ask him for my water and he apologises. I then see him cleaning up another table. After waiting 5 minutes, I start drinking my wifes water. When he notices, then he brings my water.
He apologizes and asks if we would like some bread that he would give us complimentary. We accept. He never brings it.
And CONSTANTLY, he complains that all the problems are caused by the kitchen.

I will go back, but if I am assigned to that waiter, I will walk out.
I still prefer Florio's and Big Lou's as for NY style pizza.

Old 06-15-2009, 08:13 AM

220 posts, read 597,175 times
We dined at Grimaldi's the other night and had an excellent Pizza and outstanding service.

They have a 1/2 price wine night on Tuesday's.

You order your basic size and type of Pizza and then select the toppings for another $2-$4 ea..
A loaded large Pizza can run over $30.

Old 06-15-2009, 10:08 AM

1,086 posts, read 2,945,321 times
Is the pizza coal style, as in burnt crust or is it normal pizza?

Old 06-15-2009, 02:11 PM

49 posts, read 123,411 times
we've been to Grimaldi's twice and love it! If you go to the company's website and sign up for their e-mail offers they should send you a discount coupon. The pizza is made in a coal-fired oven so it has a charred crust (although most texans don't like it...that's how it's done in NY). The salads are great as well, the small can feed 3 people easily.

The pizza can be a little pricey if you want a lot of toppings but I don't mind paying since it's a ginormous size and tasty!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio