Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2009, 12:33 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,362,473 times

Advertisements

Interesting article about some new changes with First Friday. Especially the additional comments. Wow...totally across the board!

First Friday bans food and drink vendors (http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local_news/Food_and_drink_vendors_banned_from_First_Friday.ht ml - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 01:05 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,819,792 times
The times they are-a-changin'

If First Friday is going to survive, it's going to need to remember how and why it started to begin with. This isn't a Fiesta event (and shouldn't be treated as such).

Respect the neighborhood.

Respect the surrounding.

Respect the artists and their effort.

This beer bash-mentality has officially ended... And that makes me a very happy camper.

BN

Old 05-21-2009, 06:54 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,692,820 times
I think it is going to backfire. It is obvious that the King William Association wants their "mixed-use" environment for their use only. Vistors are not welcome. I am all for it being an art festival(or whatever you want to call it). What I don't understand is this an event you are suppose to make an evening of....you need to be able to eat and drink while you are there. And I am sorry, but the 10 sit down restuarants will not be able to feed the thousands of people that are there. Have you ever tried to get a table at Rosarios on a First Friday? With the food vendors gone there will be no quick take-out food you can walk around with.

It was interesting how the food went away first. Why didn't fake designer purses vendors go first? What I also didn't understand is the way the people drink infront of the ice house. It was my understanding of the TABC laws, that if you had people drinking outside a bar....it had to have a fence around that area and people could not leave that fenced off area with a drink?

I am hoping the Blue Star Art complex will welcome the food vendors to their parking lot.

Old 05-21-2009, 08:04 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,553,014 times
I have mixed feelings about it. On the one hand, the snob in me is glad to see the Fiesta/carnival atmosphere removed - at least beginning to be removed - and a focus back to art. OTOH, I appreciate the need to appeal to the masses.... I also agree I'd like to see the trinket vendors go. I don't think the food vendors are seriously competing with the restaurants, which are always packed on FF, although the argument about trash is a very valid one.

I also think some KW residents have to accept some of the "cost" for being in the center of it all. It's part of the trade offs. We're just on the edge so while we get a fair amount of foot traffic, we don't have any problems. However, I've walked down some KW streets during FF and they're dead quiet, so it's not like there are rampaging gangs of drunkards wandering the streets. We get far more noise from the church across the street on a nightly basis (they get out about 10pm - not drunk, just LOUD. EVERY night). I think I'd rather have the drunkards because they only come once a month and don't try to convert me

I do think some control needs to be exerted over First Friday activities to keep its focus on art. But I also think we have to accept that being in the center of it all comes with some costs.

I should also add that I think we need to focus on LOCAL artists more. And by "costs" I don't mean suffering with graffiti (I am not convinced that's rampant either, but do not deny it's occurred), I mean the noise, the crowds, etc. Port-a-potties could help too, although maybe the KWA should build actual public restrooms in certain areas (this is totally doable, we did it for the shelters) and pay to have them cleaned regularly. Of course, getting people to use them is another story. Other communities manage to have a similar event without all the problems, I'm sure we can too.

Last edited by Chaka; 05-21-2009 at 08:20 AM..

Old 05-21-2009, 08:52 AM

1,893 posts, read 5,586,220 times
First Friday had a great life. I don't see it lasting much longer. It will see it's demise just as the St. Mary's strip saw it's demise. If you look at the two you can see a parallel. The neighbors started complaining to the city and that was that. In this case the city will do what it does best. Regulate it to death.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:03 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,553,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyBob View Post
First Friday had a great life. I don't see it lasting much longer. It will see it's demise just as the St. Mary's strip saw it's demise. If you look at the two you can see a parallel. The neighbors started complaining to the city and that was that. In this case the city will do what it does best. Regulate it to death.
I doubt that. I think FF as it is now (a carnival) is on its last leg, but I still see the local community continuing to put on art shows in the area on a regular basis. That's because many of the artists live in the community and it's what Blue Star is all about.

Already similar events are popping up (we have a First Thursday in our 'hood - though I think we should move it to another week).

I see it evolving. There are still plenty of people in the local area who support the arts and local artists and want a showcase for them.

All that said, I don't often venture up the trinket-laden stalls of S. Alamo. I mainly head to the bottom stretch of S. Alamo and Blue Star area, which is still very much like the core of First Friday and is not likely to be affected at all by this new ordinance.

Old 05-21-2009, 11:06 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,362,473 times
I'm really surprised they have not imposed a curfew. Even NOISA saw that ending at 10pm reduced the number of revelers and people out to just get trashed. Those wanting to party into late hours are not there for "First Friday" anyway.

It sounds like the KWA is looking at future selective vendors. Many trade days and other communities like Wimberly and Boerne have strict requirements about what is and isn't allowed to be sold at their event. KWA could do the same. If someone wants a knock off purse, they have plenty of flea markets open every weekend. That kind of vendor has no place at First Friday.

Old 05-21-2009, 11:14 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,819,792 times
Well, I can tell you one thing: Blue Star residents and business (as well as the owner of the whole property) likely aren't going to welcome all of those food vendors into their parking lot.

This is and always will be about the art. Not the food. Not the fake Vuitton bags. If you want to eat, there are options in the area or you can simply make a firm reservation at a restaurant like a normal person. There is no reason why every event in San Antonio needs to turn into a full-blown Fiesta, with beer and turkey legs galore.

This is all just my opinion and I know I'm a rather staunch character when it comes to this. Overall, I don't want to fault ANYONE for having a good time, but First Friday needs some renovation and repair.

BN

Old 05-21-2009, 04:00 PM

824 posts, read 1,815,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
I have mixed feelings about it. On the one hand, the snob in me is glad to see the Fiesta/carnival atmosphere removed - at least beginning to be removed - and a focus back to art. OTOH, I appreciate the need to appeal to the masses.... I also agree I'd like to see the trinket vendors go. I don't think the food vendors are seriously competing with the restaurants, which are always packed on FF, although the argument about trash is a very valid one.

I also think some KW residents have to accept some of the "cost" for being in the center of it all. It's part of the trade offs. We're just on the edge so while we get a fair amount of foot traffic, we don't have any problems. However, I've walked down some KW streets during FF and they're dead quiet, so it's not like there are rampaging gangs of drunkards wandering the streets. We get far more noise from the church across the street on a nightly basis (they get out about 10pm - not drunk, just LOUD. EVERY night). I think I'd rather have the drunkards because they only come once a month and don't try to convert me

I do think some control needs to be exerted over First Friday activities to keep its focus on art. But I also think we have to accept that being in the center of it all comes with some costs.

I should also add that I think we need to focus on LOCAL artists more. And by "costs" I don't mean suffering with graffiti (I am not convinced that's rampant either, but do not deny it's occurred), I mean the noise, the crowds, etc. Port-a-potties could help too, although maybe the KWA should build actual public restrooms in certain areas (this is totally doable, we did it for the shelters) and pay to have them cleaned regularly. Of course, getting people to use them is another story. Other communities manage to have a similar event without all the problems, I'm sure we can too.
Great post, Chaka. Urban neighborhoods should have a small degree of chaos. It's part of the bargain (and many residents actually enjoy it, even the occasional beer and/or turkey leg).

Old 05-25-2009, 07:23 PM

322 posts, read 774,571 times
Just as long as Beethoven Halle und Garten keeps serving beer, pretzels, and bratwurst I'll be a happy camper!

We still attend FF but we rarely leave Beethoven's and even more rarely visit Bluestar anymore. It's gotten WAAAY too crowded as well These days we tend to go early and leave before the "fun" starts.

I agree that it's gotten out of control but some of the street vendors have good products and good food. It's too bad that some drunk thugs ruin it for those guys just trying to serve good food and make a couple bux.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio