U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 12:51 PM

1,668 posts, read 3,351,670 times

Advertisements

SnappyBob -I would rule plumbing out. SAWS has water out that way already. I was told yesterday that they will hold direction signage and possibly Trans Guid signs. As you stated the overhead piping / tubing that will connect the "arches" is already on sight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2009, 01:48 PM

144 posts, read 618,854 times
They are for Signage i've seen these further up IH35. Its a new frame design .

Old 05-23-2009, 02:07 PM

3,823 posts, read 13,347,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyBob View Post
I just drove in from 1604 & IH37 and they are indeed closer to town than I thought. They are between 410 and Spur 122. They have some straight sections lying next to the arches. The arches and the sections are tubular leading me to believe that they are going to be plumbing something over the highway as opposed to under it. I don't know why they would do that but with the tubular sections with round flanges it sure looks like plumbing to me. Perhaps if I had time to study the surroundings better it would become obvious why they are running the plumbing over rather than under. Maybe the plumbing engineers were holding the drawings upside down.

Perhaps conduit for some cabling but it still looks weird. I don't think I have ever seen that before.
My guess is that they're using tubular sections to save weight. CPS is doing the same thing with their giant electric trees you see heading into the Hill Country.

Old 05-25-2009, 10:50 AM

1,314 posts, read 2,771,467 times
Quote:
I noticed on IH 37 south of the city there are some arched poles along the highway. One on each side and three sets of them on the north and south bound lanes. They don't look like the kind of supports that they use for freeway signs nor do they look like the type of supports used for Transguide signs. I've never seen these type of supports before and can't imagine what they might be for unless it is a new design. They are very beefy with large round flanges on the ends with maybe 24 radial holes. I'll betTexasHighwayMan knows what they're for.
Yes, they are indeed for overhead directional signs and TransGuide signs. Here are some pictures of some from a company that makes them:
Arizona Structure Technologies - Sign Structures (http://www.azst.net/steel_structures.php - broken link)

There will also be some of these installed on I-35 in the Walters St. area as part of work going on there now.

Old 05-25-2009, 01:30 PM

1,893 posts, read 4,862,837 times
Ah, a new design. That's why they don't look like anything else. They look kinda cool. I wonder why they didn't do the north side signs with the new design. It's very rare that anything cool and new is done on the south end of town first.

Old 05-25-2009, 03:12 PM

1,668 posts, read 3,351,670 times
Thanks TexHwyMan - That's an impressive website.

Old 05-25-2009, 08:32 PM

75 posts, read 168,638 times
I like the design. Better than that scaffolding crap they have everywhere.

Old 05-28-2009, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Ah, a new design. That's why they don't look like anything else. They look kinda cool. I wonder why they didn't do the north side signs with the new design. It's very rare that anything cool and new is done on the south end of town first.
The new ones on the northside use concrete supports but still have the lattice sign bridge. At the time those were designed, that was the "new" thing. But I agree-- I like the tubular arched supports better and hopefully they'll show-up in more projects in the future.

Old 05-28-2009, 03:55 PM

1,893 posts, read 4,862,837 times
I would also think they will be harder for taggers to climb. They will still climb them but it will just be more of a challenge.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:06 AM

Quote:
I would also think they will be harder for taggers to climb. They will still climb them but it will just be more of a challenge.
That's an excellent observation-- I hadn't even considered that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio