U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 10:22 AM

418 posts, read 1,111,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post
Business is slow, detail when they get an order for them. not as they used to, in advance.
Yes, that seems to be occurring a lot around SA lately. Its amazing that some businesses think that they can lower their level of service when business is slow.

Obviously the good ones are doing the exact opposite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2009, 11:36 AM

1,086 posts, read 2,944,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
What if the price was already better than your best haggling could get you?
I wouldn't rule it out then.
If you look on auto trader, you'll see you can get a better deal elsewhere. I was in the market for a Nissan 350Z last year and I found that Car Max prices were marked up at least $2000 more than other dealerships.

Old 05-24-2009, 12:08 PM

4,263 posts, read 9,690,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eger View Post
If you look on auto trader, you'll see you can get a better deal elsewhere. I was in the market for a Nissan 350Z last year and I found that Car Max prices were marked up at least $2000 more than other dealerships.
Of course that may be the case..but your post said that you wouldn't shop at any place where you couldn't haggle. If you saw a posted firm price (at a place where you could not haggle), and that price was better than any haggling that you could do around town....why would you not buy it? That was my point.

Here is your exact quote: "I wouldn't buy a car from a place that wouldn't let me haggle."

You said it...not me.

Last edited by firstclassflyer; 05-24-2009 at 12:20 PM..

Old 05-24-2009, 12:17 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,330,035 times
Carmax not prepping their cars for the lot is ridiculous: If the consumer is told to prep their cars to get the maximum amount of resale value from trade-in, then why can't the same be expected from a used car lot? I think it's a cop-out and for a company who also owns Best Buy (who's not hurting in the LEAST right now), the least they can do is keep quality control on the up and up.

I have little-to-no sympathy for car dealers in-general right now: Many of them made their own bed with this mess and now they're laying in it. If a car lot wants to skimp on what brings in and keeps customers, it's their funeral. Counterproductive idiocy.

... End of rant

BN

Old 05-28-2009, 10:48 AM

13 posts, read 35,498 times
well, I'm likely to buy from Carmax this weekend. Asked a salesman yesterday if they detail them (again) and he said their shop guys do a basic cleaning, and they don't have a detailing crew or contract with an outside company. So they'll have me make up a punch list of things that need work. Like the sticky goo found in the armrest cubby, etc. Oh well...

Old 05-28-2009, 12:39 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,944,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
Of course that may be the case..but your post said that you wouldn't shop at any place where you couldn't haggle. If you saw a posted firm price (at a place where you could not haggle), and that price was better than any haggling that you could do around town....why would you not buy it? That was my point.

Here is your exact quote: "I wouldn't buy a car from a place that wouldn't let me haggle."

You said it...not me.
If it was the best price I could find, then YES. So yes you are right, but I will back up my statement by saying that I have never found a less expensive price at CARMAX in the last 8 years.

Old 05-28-2009, 11:00 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,179,197 times
I have no complaints against Carmax....just be careful with economy - mid size car purchases. Lots of their stock comes from rental car companies that sell off their cars when their "rental" time is up. Dont know if I want a car where 300 drivers rag them out

Old 05-29-2009, 06:25 AM

3 posts, read 4,809 times
The Max part of their name refers to the prices they charge.

Old 05-29-2009, 06:43 AM

4,263 posts, read 9,690,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eger View Post
If it was the best price I could find, then YES. So yes you are right, but I will back up my statement by saying that I have never found a less expensive price at CARMAX in the last 8 years.
There you go...

Old 05-31-2009, 05:20 PM

322 posts, read 688,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by civilguy View Post
yeah, exactly! I think Carmax is a good company, fantastic concept. Heck, i'm a repeat customer. I just wondered if I'm getting picky as i get older.
Carmax and Circuit City were a part of the same business group, iirc.... maybe that explains their bad business practices
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or