Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 10:21 AM

10 posts, read 107,096 times

Advertisements

Hello!
I'm planning a wedding for next yr, and it looks like we are going to have the reception outside. Does anybody have any experience with this? Any suggestions on caterers? Is the weather cold in mid-march? Has anybody had experience with setting up tents for your wedding? Any type of suggestions/advice/comments will be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2009, 05:38 PM

103 posts, read 489,809 times
I am in planning my own wedding for this July. I can dm you some info. Do you have a specific price rang your trying to stay under for most of your items? I had a tight budget so I shopped around a lot and can give you some iinfo

Old 05-23-2009, 07:17 PM

338 posts, read 1,230,745 times
I actually just got married on may 15th, outside at the botanical gardens. I chose the botanical, because we had already chosen a hall that allowed us to choose our own caterer, which was a big deal for us. We had our chairs for the wedding through the RK Group. They set up and tore down the chair set up after the wedding. There are other places that are very expensive, but for our needs the botanical gardens was perfect. The price was $400, with $100 refundable refund. If you would like any other details, PM me.

Old 05-23-2009, 10:30 PM

322 posts, read 774,813 times
My wife and I were married and had our reception at the Southwest School of Arts & Crafts.

The great thing about this location is it's A) Downtown B) on the riverwalk but not touristy & C+D+E) you have MANY configuration options... inside wedding, outside reception, vice versa, inside/inside, outside/outside, etc.

And it's pretty enough that you don't have to overdecorate.. unlike most hotel ballrooms

I think the rental of the whole facility from 2pm - 10pm costs us about $2500 -- just the facility itself not security, tables/chairs, etc. And we rented a riverboat after our wedding so our out-of-town guests could really experience the best of the Riverwalk and SA

Southwest School of Art and Craft - For Brides Only (http://www.swschool.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=71 - broken link)

-- Sorry, I keep forgetting things. My wife and I were married in 2005, to give you an idea of what we paid 4 years ago.

Old 05-23-2009, 10:33 PM

322 posts, read 774,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petrockmedia View Post
I actually just got married on may 15th, outside at the botanical gardens. I chose the botanical, because we had already chosen a hall that allowed us to choose our own caterer, which was a big deal for us. We had our chairs for the wedding through the RK Group. They set up and tore down the chair set up after the wedding. There are other places that are very expensive, but for our needs the botanical gardens was perfect. The price was $400, with $100 refundable refund. If you would like any other details, PM me.
WOW! That really is an amazing rate!

Our wedding sounds like it was really expensive but we did it all over < 10k - and most importantly we had two different kinds of beer on tap (free), two kinds of wine and a margarita machine!

If you're not familiar with weddings or just planning one, is really not a bad price these days. I'm always amazed at how easily you can rack up 20k+ on an average wedding!! We went to a wedding about a month ago that easily cost 50 or 60k -- it was way over the top... but enjoyable since I wasn't the father footing the bill

You might check out the San Antonio Museum of Art, too. We had friends who had their reception there and it was gorgeous. Sorry, I don't know how much the rate was.

-- We rented our chairs/tables/linens through the caterer for peace of mind. We probably could have gotten a better rate from a third party but I didn't want to have to worry about them coordinating things with the caterer. It probably was a completely pointless worry, but on your wedding day you want to have as few worries as possible.. you'll be nervous/anxious enough

Old 05-25-2009, 09:42 PM

103 posts, read 489,809 times
I am getting married in July at The Gardens of Cranesbury View in New Braunfuls. Its going to be an indoor/outdoor wedding. Wedding outside but reception inside.. in case of rain. We looked into some other venes that were completly outside but tents, tables, chairs, linens, it just all started to add up. I have been able to keep my entire wedding budget under 15k. Very proud of myself. As far as catering.. I have a great guy from Spice of Life. Its fitting our budget with out taking away from the quality. We loved others as well but spice of life's customer service was the best and thats what sold us. I can dm you some info as well.. like on photographers. I found an amazing photographer that does great work for an affordable price. Let me knopw if ya want the info

Old 05-26-2009, 01:53 PM

4 posts, read 11,942 times
Default The Vineyards

My wife and I recently became married at the Vineyards restaurant near Garden Ridge, TX (Just 20 mins outside of SA on I-35 North) and it was absolutely beautiful! The guests enjoyed the party, and the best part was that nobody had to leave the ceremony location to drive to the reception dinner. Weddings are so subjective, so I will provide you with a link to some pictures as well as to the Vineyards restaurant so that you can make your own choice. Good luck and congrats!

Pictures: Dos Kiwis Studio Blog: Sean & Carolina AKA My Big Fat Norwegian Wedding (http://doskiwis.blogspot.com/2009/05/sean-carolina-aka-my-big-fat-norwegian.html - broken link)

Vineyards: The Vineyards Restaurant - Romantic Dining in San Antonio Texas

-Sean

Old 05-26-2009, 05:50 PM

10 posts, read 107,096 times
Default beautiful pictures!

Thanx for the links, those pictures are so pretty, it looks like everyone had an amazing time

Old 05-26-2009, 06:28 PM

37 posts, read 126,706 times
Sean, those pics are great! The Vineyards are definitely a beautiful setting for weddings & receptions.
You and your wife make a great-looking couple, congratulations!

-Julia

Old 05-26-2009, 07:43 PM

50 posts, read 83,821 times
I can also recommend the Vineyards for a wedding and reception. My daughter got married there 3 years ago and it was wonderful. The setting is beautiful and private. We also looked at Guadalupe River Ranch, Ye Kendall Inn, the Settlement Inn and various other wedding venues that offer outdoor settings but decided on the Vineyards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio