U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-26-2009, 02:27 PM
Status: "The blue mat is obsessed with me. Whyyyy??" (set 5 days ago)

13,650 posts, read 22,039,090 times

Advertisements

My point was, and I do have one, to call them "geniuses" and sound so snide is pretty ungrateful. Yeah, we pay taxes for a lot of things, but in a lot of other places you pay taxes AND an additional fee for services such as brush pickup. If she had read the flyer, it says to have it out on the curb by such-and-such date, not that they will remove it at the very moment it graces her curb.

And you pay 9k because you live where you live. I pay much less in property taxes....should I not get it for free?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 02:42 PM

3,735 posts, read 5,419,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr1039 View Post
If I remember correctly, the wording simply stated to have all items out on the curb by 7am on May 25th or risk not having your bulk picked up at all.

I am pretty suprised there were any pick ups going on yesterday, trash included. But meh, .
Right, they don't schedule a particular day (unless you asked for service outside the usual 2x/yr and paid separately for it). It's for the week of XXXX. Which means they may come by Monday, at the latest they'll come by Friday. It takes time to work the whole area.

The first couple of years I lived here they always seemed to come on Friday. The past couple of years, always seems to be Monday. Of course, that's for what's left after the salvage collectors get everything. It's always fun to see how fast something disappears when you put it out (and I have been known to salvage a few things myself ).

Old 05-26-2009, 07:08 PM

37 posts, read 81,703 times
I agree with you 100% sapphire, the title of the post is quite snide. It's also funny that the poster was completely off base and obviously misunderstood the flyer. I'll never understand why some people get pissy over such trivial things...

Old 05-26-2009, 07:25 PM

3,360 posts, read 10,442,961 times
The last pick up we had, I put out lots of left over furniture and metal stuff from rentals that people had left behind. By the time the date for pick up came ...most of it was gone. I could probably put stuff out all year and it would go. I have put out appliances anytime and they usually go within 2 days, no matter the condition.
The metal merchants make the rounds on a regular basis.
To address the point of the original post, read the fine print. It's a very worthwhile service the city provides with tax money. How many trucks and workers would it take to pick up each house in one day? Letting the bulk pick up sit on the curb a few days gives the scanvingers, like me, time to go around and find the treasures.

Old 05-26-2009, 11:07 PM

17 posts, read 27,699 times
They say they pickup on Monday, but I have seen them take till Friday to pick up. Don't try to guess it.. Other occasions I had them come at 7:00 AM that Monday (as I am dragging stuff to the curb).

Old 05-27-2009, 06:36 AM

5,081 posts, read 7,769,883 times
Days like this it really sucks to live in one of the holes on the trash pickup map.

Old 05-27-2009, 08:51 AM

3,735 posts, read 5,419,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneSA View Post
The last pick up we had, I put out lots of left over furniture and metal stuff from rentals that people had left behind. By the time the date for pick up came ...most of it was gone. I could probably put stuff out all year and it would go. I have put out appliances anytime and they usually go within 2 days, no matter the condition.
The metal merchants make the rounds on a regular basis.
Yeah, we leave stuff out periodically throughout the year and it disappears, however if it's still there after a day we bring it back in. Technically, you can be fined for leaving stuff out, so we try not to let it sit too long.

Our 'hood is particularly a gold mine, as people doing renovations/restorations/clearing out 100 yrs worth of stuff....

When we took possession of our house, it was FILLED with stuff. However, the house was so disgusting and we had nowhere to put said stuff and were so desperate to start stripping down to studs (we couldn't even be inside of more than a few minutes because the carpets stank so bad), we put everything out on the lawn and said "free." That was Saturday morning. 95% of it was gone by Sunday night. A lot of it was in decent condition and probably antique and valuable, but we were so busy cleaning out a ridiculous amount of just garbage, didn't have time to sort through it. I figure someone will be on Antiques Roadshow soon saying "I picked this up from some old house near downtown San Antonio where they were giving everything away...."

Old 01-18-2010, 12:40 PM

6,868 posts, read 12,968,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules07 View Post
IIRC, don't the flyers that get distributed just prior to brush collection say "beginning xyz/date"??? Our neighborhood just recently had brush pick up, and I thought for sure that the wording on the notice flyer was something to that effect. (And I was uber surprised that they did pick up on that date, as it's frequently been several days after the beginning date that they get here.)

Bringing up an old thread here!

Our notice specifically stated that bulk pick up would be today (MLK day), nothing about "the week of" or "beginning" so now I'm confused as no one has picked anything up yet. Of course we're only halfway through the day, I realize...

Old 01-18-2010, 01:05 PM

1,728 posts, read 2,529,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Bringing up an old thread here!

Our notice specifically stated that bulk pick up would be today (MLK day), nothing about "the week of" or "beginning" so now I'm confused as no one has picked anything up yet. Of course we're only halfway through the day, I realize...
Normally, pickup begins at 7:00 AM on Monday of the scheduled week, but since today is a holiday (MLK), there will be no garbage/recycling/brush pickup today. the MLK holiday is one of the very few that are observed by the City of San Antonio Solid Waste Division.

I think it can take the entire week to pick up materials from all streets in the area that received notice of pickup.

Old 01-18-2010, 01:26 PM

21,591 posts, read 23,714,857 times
I am middle of remodeling, so we put out a lots of old sheetrock last Wednesday. I was worried that over night it would be all over the place, but they came an hour later. Right on time and schedule
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio