Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 03:58 PM

1,805 posts, read 4,775,577 times

Advertisements

Rather sad to say, but I'll be leaving San Antonio on June 11.
Two and one half years after arriving, I've yet to land a permanent full time job in ANY field, let alone the one I've worked in for the last 20 years.
I did get two gigs as an Independent Adjuster, but it isn't enough to pay all my bills and I've continued to dig into "Mom's Money" ('inheritance'), AND even the Indpendent Adjusting Firms are tightening THEIR belts because the Commercial Carriers they get contracts with are tightening THEIR belts and keeping most work inside.
Soooooo.... I sent about three resumes yesterday to Dallas carriers/TPAs/AdjusterPlacememtFirms, and as of today, I already have an interview scheduled, and an application has been e-mailed to me...
so,,, I kinda think my decision is the right one.....

sad, is the only word I can think of except for, 'thank God' I may finally have a steady income again for the first time in a lonnnnng time...

I will miss you all ......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 04:11 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,366,291 times
Pops.....no! I didn't know you were actively looking! I'm sure a few of us would have sent out feelers if we knew exactly what you were looking for. I know that CD isn't a job hunting site, but those of us that know and adore you would have been happy to help behind the scenes. Is it too late? You're moving for sure?

Are you going to convert to the Mavs???? Something about Cubansguysrule just doesn't sit right!

Old 05-26-2009, 04:11 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,108,718 times
So long, PGR. Tough times call for tough choices. I know some people offline who've had the same issue with finding work in their field and had to move away from SA. I know a couple of people in other places who chose to go back to school and change careers rather than locations. None of them found those choices easy to make.

Hopefully you'll get to come back someday if you still want to and the situation with the local companies in your field changes.

Old 05-26-2009, 04:16 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,453,477 times
So sorry to see you "go" up north for the work, but totally understand and think you are wise in being flexible and being where the jobs are. I am truly sorry it did not work out for you here, but grateful to get to meet you and call you friend.

You can still stay "connected"...that is the beauty of the internet...keep us posted and keep in touch!

Paka

Old 05-26-2009, 04:35 PM

2,027 posts, read 7,025,249 times
Pop I know how you feel. I left SA 3 weeks ago and probably will not be able to return next semester. Though I've yet to graduate college I was unable to find a job after months of searching. I'm in Midland now where the job market is a little better. I love SA but Bowie is right... tough times call for tough decisions. I wish you best of luck in your endeavors!

Old 05-26-2009, 04:49 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,710,202 times
Pops, don't take anything personal. I know of some friends that can't get jobs either, despite a 4 year college degree.

Old 05-26-2009, 04:59 PM

322 posts, read 774,754 times
You may be moving out of SA but you're not leaving city-data.com/forum/san-antonio... and no I didn't forget the "?"

Good luck!!

Old 05-26-2009, 05:03 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,029,649 times
Good luck to you, PGR....I know you've been frustrated with the job market here. With your degree, skills, and personality, surely something will open up for you in Dallas.

We won't be missing you....cuz you'll still post here, right? Who will I "show the love" for Bruce with, and argue with about drunk driving??? Good times....

And if you switch over to the Mavs, forget everything I just said.

Love ya, girl, and wish you the best...

Old 05-26-2009, 05:16 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,987,315 times
Fair seas and following wings, PGR! I know that is Navy talk from an Air Force guy, but we really don't have anything similar other than 'see ya!'

Hopefully we'll see you back in our fair city one of these days, I think we all understand that people have to go where the jobs are. Our "backup" plan (worst case scenario) consists of me heading off to a very hot climate with a lot of sand and leaving the family back here. Luckily, at the moment it doesn't seem like that will have to happen but you never know. My job is on a year-by-year basis, so at best I know I have 365 days worth of paychecks; but after that it is always a crap shoot.

I hope you enjoy your new Texas home!

Cheers! M2

Old 05-26-2009, 05:17 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,389,899 times
just make sure you NEVER become a fangirl for the mavericks

and it's fair winds and following seas.. figures the AF guy would have to get a wing in there somewhere
http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/NHC/fairwinds.htm

BTW, you're only leaving the city, not the community
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio