U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 08:50 AM

80 posts, read 256,134 times

Advertisements

Apparently my son is missing an immunization TX requires, but was not required in CO, where we just moved from. The school called and said he needs it by next Thursday (about a week) or he won't be place next fall.

So I called ABCD Peds and they can't process him that fast, so he can't go there (plus, they've been extremely rude the past couple times I've called with questions). I also called the SA Health District and they won't give it to him cause we have private insurance...and they wont' let you pay out-of-pocket.

Anyone have ideas? Good peds that will actually see my son within a week in the NE area? THANKS!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 08:57 AM

3,111 posts, read 8,305,101 times
You can try Southwest Children's Center. 210-614-8687. 5282 Medical Drive, Ste 310. I don't know if they can see him that soon but it's worth a phone call. They are AWESOME!!!!

Old 05-27-2009, 09:01 AM

11,927 posts, read 12,793,548 times
When my daughter was in Jr.high I got a call I because I had missed a booster shoot and ran over to the Texas med clinic because her Doctor couldn't get us in for 3 months. They said they do all shots. Just a thought.

Old 05-27-2009, 09:02 AM

317 posts, read 1,606,187 times
If you just need the shots- A friend's son needed immediate vaccines when they moved here from Virginia. The school nurse sent them to Pediatric Urgent Care for the shots. They paid cash for them, and he got his shots on the spot. I can't recommend a pedi, since my kids see a general practice doc.
If its ok for me to post, here's the link to their site.
Little Spurs Pediatric Urgent Care

Old 05-27-2009, 09:14 AM

3,770 posts, read 7,271,611 times
Metro Health
http://www.sanantonio.gov/health/pdf...012%202008.pdf

Old 05-27-2009, 09:23 AM

897 posts, read 2,613,091 times
Texas Med Clinic. We use them all the time when needed.

Old 05-27-2009, 09:57 AM

80 posts, read 256,134 times
The Metro Health is where I called this morning and they won't see him because we have Humana and they won't let you pay out-of-pocket. Bummer! We had a clinic very close to us.

Just called the Texas MedClinic. They can give it to him, but he has to see one of their doctors first. Oh well! We'll do it! Thanks so much!!

Old 05-27-2009, 10:48 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,811 posts, read 33,104,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catriona View Post
Texas Med Clinic. We use them all the time when needed.
I second the recommendation of Texas Med Clinic. It's the most convenient place to get shots when you have private insurance.

I'm surprised the Health District no longer serves people who pay out of pocket. Apparently their rules have changed. I took my kids there for some required shots several years ago and paid out of pocket. You didn't miss much... when we were there, the SAMHD clinic had a noisy, crowded waiting room and we waited over an hour.

Old 05-27-2009, 12:06 PM

674 posts, read 1,616,183 times
We also just moved from CO 3 months ago. Is the vaccine Hepatitis A, by any chance?

That vaccine needs 2 doses, 6 months apart. I do believe as long as you get the first shot, you'll be good to go and can wait 6 months for the 2nd. They might tell you to do them back to back, which only you as a parent can determine is right for your child.

The other option, to buy you more time to get the shots, would be to get an exemption form from the TX dept of health. You fill it out and get it notarized for like $5 at a UPS store, and it's good for 2 years. You give it to the school and they won't bug you about it. That's what I did. Let me know if you need the link.

I also think they are providing you bad info. If you had moved here in June, do you honestly think your child would be denied PUBLIC school? I hate it when administrators use scare tactics.

Old 05-27-2009, 12:11 PM

674 posts, read 1,616,183 times
http://webds.dshs.state.tx.us/immco/affidavit.shtm (broken link)

Texas Vaccine Exemption Information

The website and the snail mail addresses to get the form is in the above link. I was pleasantly surprised at how fast the form came in the mail (it comes in the mail with your child's name and DOB on it). Then you fill out the vaccine he/she does not have yet, take it to a UPS store or another notary, and give it to the school.

Last edited by miche111e; 05-27-2009 at 12:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio