U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 09:43 AM

1,086 posts, read 2,941,134 times

Advertisements

My gf was begging me to buy a KB Home, she is an impulse buyer - I have to be the level headed person and I am glad I did not buy a KB Home.

When I walked into a home being constructed the beams and plywood had knots all over it and some were even nailed together to make a longer piece.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 09:47 AM

1,086 posts, read 2,941,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaGrace View Post
Hey, thanks for your judgement about how low to moderate income people take care of their homes. That's awesome.
It's funny, people think they are high-falutin when they purchase a 250k home. I could afford a 250k home myself, but I prefer to put my money in the bank. I guess since I will be buying in the $130-150k range I probably wouldn't know how to take care of my home either, nor could I afford to pay someone else to do it for me. /sarcasm

Old 05-28-2009, 10:13 AM

5,615 posts, read 12,774,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banker View Post
I don't know much about the Mirasol Homes community - but wasn't this low to moderate income housing - basically glorified projects. The demographic that fills these homes (and other HUD facilities) aren't exactly known for taking care of residences. These were built super cheap...

You get what you pay for. Had Pulte, Centex, Fieldstone or any other production builder gotten sucked into building homes for this Mirasol project - they would probably be sued as well for the same thing. This is a public housing project - what do you really expect? KB's biggest mistake was letting Henry Cisneros talk them into taking this project on.
Idunno, I saw a video of a guy that'd set stuff down on the floor and it would just start rolling away. Things like that really can't be the fault of the person living there.

Old 05-28-2009, 10:18 AM

1,512 posts, read 2,604,727 times
You know, I've been in trailer park communities that have some of the most well-kept, landscaped properties on the face of the earth. (No, I'm not talking pink flamingos and "gazing balls.") And then I've been through some of the "ritzier" communities (3000+ sq ft) and found grass in desperate need of mowing/trimming, weeds all over the place, and trim that needs a good coat of fresh paint.

While income level does have some impact on the community (those who live in lower-income areas may not be able to afford repairs--even small jobs), it's not something you can apply a hard-and-fast rule to. Don't be so quick to judge, folks. There are good people in just about any community you pass through. Conversely, there are lazy folks in the very same communities.

--Dim

Old 05-28-2009, 11:24 AM

1,740 posts, read 5,180,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
Srsly? KB CHOSE to take this on. They own the responsibility. Period. Add Henry as an accessory if you must use your logic.

I have to agree that your assessment of the "demographics" is a tragic judgment on low income homeowners. Lets ignore them because they basically don't matter?? Should we let them eat cake?
I am not saying they should be ignored. But it is a proven fact that people with less fiscal resources have less to maintain a home. In addition - often those that are living off of government programs develop a sense of entitlement and expect the government to maintain things so they don't. I am not judging anyone...just stating facts. Go to any public housing development in any city in the united states and you will see that by and large they are run down. It can be a combination of the developer and home owner...but lets face it...if you live some where you should do your part to take care of it.

Old 05-28-2009, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_dimwit View Post
You know, I've been in trailer park communities that have some of the most well-kept, landscaped properties on the face of the earth. (No, I'm not talking pink flamingos and "gazing balls.") And then I've been through some of the "ritzier" communities (3000+ sq ft) and found grass in desperate need of mowing/trimming, weeds all over the place, and trim that needs a good coat of fresh paint.

While income level does have some impact on the community (those who live in lower-income areas may not be able to afford repairs--even small jobs), it's not something you can apply a hard-and-fast rule to. Don't be so quick to judge, folks. There are good people in just about any community you pass through. Conversely, there are lazy folks in the very same communities.

--Dim
I agree with everything you said. And to the earlier post...there is a big difference between working hard and buying a home - and living in public housing. Even what they pay is subsidized. They are not paying the actual price it cost to live there. Because of that the builders (and KB is not the only ones that build these) will cut corners at the developer or city's request to make these as profitable as can be. My last house was purchased for $113,500. It was a neglected home that was in need of lots of TLC. The previous home owner was lazy and didn't take care of things. I sold it for $174,000 six years later.

And even for expensive homes...the builders disclose to the home buyers that proper maintenance is needed to avoid things like cracked slabs and such. My home came with instructions as to regular watering of the landscape especially around the slab in dry times to prevent stress to the foundation.

I'm not saying that all builders are perfect or that KB is perfect...but comparing a public housing project to what a builder builds for the buying public is apples and oranges.

Old 05-28-2009, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eger View Post
My gf was begging me to buy a KB Home, she is an impulse buyer - I have to be the level headed person and I am glad I did not buy a KB Home.

When I walked into a home being constructed the beams and plywood had knots all over it and some were even nailed together to make a longer piece.
And I'm sure KB is the only builder to ever do that...

Seriously. The way they build houses today (KB and most other production builders) the trusses and wall segments are manufactured in a factory with all center cut lumber to strict tolerances. I have been through dozens of KB homes under construction and I have never seen lumber just nailed together to make a longer piece unless just the bracing put up while the home is being framed. But anyone familiar with the building industry knows that is temporary and comes down after the roof is decked.

Old 05-28-2009, 11:40 AM

260 posts, read 1,031,160 times
Quote:
In addition - often those that are living off of government programs develop a sense of entitlement and expect the government to maintain things so they don't. I am not judging anyone...just stating facts.
Yes, those pesky folks feeling "entitled" to things like construction built to code... it's really quite annoying when they want their roofs to have shingles, or to have the frame of their houses actually anchored to the slab. Some people have all the nerve...

15,062 posts, read 19,592,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
But, how many homes were built total? 100000 in 10 years? And only 30-50 bad homes? I would be curious to see how many complaints vs. actual satisfied customers. I'm not defending them (personally, I'm biased against them), but the big boys will always get envied.
Add to those 30-50 homes the number of homes that (1) Don't know yet that there's something wrong and (2) Don't think is worthy taking the time to sue KB

11,927 posts, read 12,786,558 times
Quote:
I am not saying they should be ignored. But it is a proven fact that people with less fiscal resources have less to maintain a home. In addition - often those that are living off of government programs develop a sense of entitlement and expect the government to maintain things so they don't. I am not judging anyone...just stating facts. Go to any public housing development in any city in the united states and you will see that by and large they are run down. It can be a combination of the developer and home owner...but lets face it...if you live some where you should do your part to take care of it.
I usually choose not to respond to post like this because it gets you no where and helps no one but..... the way i read you post your are being very judgmental and dare I even say ( hope it doesn't get deleted). Your just being mean and nasty. Sorry if I'm wrong and I apologize. If I understand this story correctly, theses are people that have bought homes. They paid good money thinking they were getting a decent product. Thats why they're are standards and codes.

Just my 2 cents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio