U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-29-2009, 12:18 PM
 
Location: Earth
226 posts, read 820,308 times
Reputation: 93

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by merc11ty View Post
Like I've posted previously, why would anyone buy a KB home?
Your post above could end with any builder whether custom or other mass production builder. Go visit HOBB.ORG and you will find that all builders have problems have resulted in homes being uninhabitable.

When I was shopping for a home I was concerned that I could end up with a lemon. Therefore I did my due diligence and got educated on what to look for in home construction. I looked at the flood plain maps, talked to people in neighborhoods, talked to the city inspectors, lot layout drainage plan, home inspectors, city planning department, actually read the builders disclosure statement, etc.

This may surprise you, but I was told that KB was one of the better builders in the city - Cibolo. This by the city inspector whose job it was to inspect the homes. I also talked to independent home inspectors that told me that KB home was built to the quality standards of other home builders Ryland, DR Horton, etc.

Do your research....it is the home builder's onsite management that is instrumental in the construction of good homes. Some subdivisions are built better than others. If you go by name brand, then you are asking for trouble.

Another thing to note when looking at homes...city inspector told me that any builder can make a home look nice inside. Unless you have seen what is behind the sheetrock, inspected the foundation before the pour, then you really don't know if the home was built well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-29-2009, 12:20 PM
 
299 posts, read 537,132 times
Reputation: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe123456 View Post
Your post above could end with any builder whether custom or other mass production builder. Go visit HOBB.ORG and you will find that all builders have problems have resulted in homes being uninhabitable.

When I was shopping for a home I was concerned that I could end up with a lemon. Therefore I did my due diligence and got educated on what to look for in home construction. I looked at the flood plain maps, talked to people in neighborhoods, talked to the city inspectors, lot layout drainage plan, home inspectors, city planning department, actually read the builders disclosure statement, etc.

This may surprise you, but I was told that KB was one of the better builders in the city - Cibolo. This by the city inspector whose job it was to inspect the homes. I also talked to independent home inspectors that told me that KB home was built to the quality standards of other home builders Ryland, DR Horton, etc.

Do your research....it is the home builder's onsite management that is instrumental in the construction of good homes. Some subdivisions are built better than others. If you go by name brand, then you are asking for trouble.

Another thing to note when looking at homes...city inspector told me that any builder can make a home look nice inside. Unless you have seen what is behind the sheetrock, inspected the foundation before the pour, then you really don't know if the home was built well.
Man..kind of funny how I don't see any other builders here getting sued...again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2009, 12:33 PM
 
Location: Earth
226 posts, read 820,308 times
Reputation: 93
Default Problem Foundations

When it comes to shoddy construction i.e. Mirasol and other subdivisions, the common theme is foundation problems. One way to mitigate a lot of these foundation problems is to build foundations to stricter engineering specifications. What does this mean for a lot of homes in TX and the south where clay soils are prevelant? Pier and Beam Foundations - 20K more than typical slab. People won't pay $20K more for a better foundation and thats one of the reasons why there are a lot of foundation problems.

If I was given an option, I would have forked over 20K more for a better foundation. But I would be in the minority. Pier and Beam foundations are found on alot of commercial construction, but seldom found in home construction unless it is an expensive custom home. In fact less than 1% of homes are built this way which is the best way to built on clay soil.

And we wonder why all builders say water your foundation? Give me a break...build the foundation right. However, no one wants to pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2009, 12:36 PM
 
Location: Earth
226 posts, read 820,308 times
Reputation: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by merc11ty View Post
Man..kind of funny how I don't see any other builders here getting sued...again.

Dude... you must not read HOBB.ORG all builders have major problems. All of them have been sued countless times to include local custom home builders. In fact when you choose a custom home builder, one of the things you should check is how many lawsuits have been filed against the builder. People forking out 500K+ have issues with their builders.

Whats your best insurance to make sure you don't buy a lemon? Inspect the home during construction and follow up to make sure things get fixed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2009, 12:39 PM
 
299 posts, read 537,132 times
Reputation: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe123456 View Post
Dude... you must not read HOBB.ORG all builders have major problems. All of them have been sued countless times to include local custom home builders. In fact when you choose a custom home builder, one of the things you should check is how many lawsuits have been filed against the builder. People forking out 500K+ have issues with their builder.
Here's a question...

Who built your home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2009, 01:02 PM
 
4,268 posts, read 8,355,736 times
Reputation: 1785
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe123456 View Post
When it comes to shoddy construction i.e. Mirasol and other subdivisions, the common theme is foundation problems. One way to mitigate a lot of these foundation problems is to build foundations to stricter engineering specifications. What does this mean for a lot of homes in TX and the south where clay soils are prevelant? Pier and Beam Foundations - 20K more than typical slab. People won't pay $20K more for a better foundation and thats one of the reasons why there are a lot of foundation problems.

If I was given an option, I would have forked over 20K more for a better foundation. But I would be in the minority. Pier and Beam foundations are found on alot of commercial construction, but seldom found in home construction unless it is an expensive custom home. In fact less than 1% of homes are built this way which is the best way to built on clay soil.
And 20K less to fix

Ok, maybe not 20K difference, but about 10K. I love P&B, but for some reason, people think of it as lower-end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2009, 01:06 PM
 
Location: Earth
226 posts, read 820,308 times
Reputation: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by merc11ty View Post
Here's a question...

Who built your home?

KB and I couldn't be happier. I had it semi customed when it was built. So unlike the typical track home owner, I am very very happy....custom electrical, structural upgrades hurricane ties bearing plates etc, custom HVAC, fiber optics, windows that weren't options etc 50K to date.

Who built your home? If it is a track builder, because I bet I can find people who have bought from that builder who are not happy with the construction quality of their home. You name any track builder and I can point you to a sux.com website.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2009, 01:24 PM
 
299 posts, read 537,132 times
Reputation: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe123456 View Post
KB and I couldn't be happier. I had it semi customed when it was built. So unlike the typical track home owner, I am very very happy....custom electrical, structural upgrades hurricane ties bearing plates etc, custom HVAC, fiber optics, windows that weren't options etc 50K to date.

Who built your home? If it is a track builder, because I bet I can find people who have bought from that builder who are not happy with the construction quality of their home. You name any track builder and I can point you to a sux.com website.

Yea..you're a bit biased on the subject. Maybe we can get someone in here who is objective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2009, 01:52 PM
 
410 posts, read 1,140,557 times
Reputation: 210
Brands and products are built around reputation. I don't look under the hood of a Honda and say, oh, this was built in Tennessee, their standards are lower, so this one is no good. The one built in Flint is better. Sound engineering practices are repeatable, which makes the argument that some KB neighborhoods are built better an actual argument against KB. Reputations are built for a reason.

I'm biased though too, I had a KB crapper, but according to some here, I must not have visited my home during construction every day and had it inspected. Must be my imagination.

Reputation is built on trust, quality and customer service. KB has the worst of all three. I always said it was their poor customer service and how they handle problems. I had the regional supervisor say there was "good and bad types of mold, you have the good type."

And for that KB will always be my enemy. You can ask banker, I stalked his thread for years, making sure to pipe in every time the cheer leading got out of hand.

Do everyone a favor in San Antonio, don't buy KB, and we'll stop seeing these threads. People that own a KB will defend right up until they have to turn on them. I did. I was tired of defending them. At the end I realized, KB sucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2009, 02:19 PM
 
4,796 posts, read 13,711,684 times
Reputation: 2709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
And 20K less to fix

Ok, maybe not 20K difference, but about 10K. I love P&B, but for some reason, people think of it as lower-end.
I would prefer a P&B as well. I think the misconception is that P&B is old school more than low-end. Obviously there are a LOT of great old homes across the country to prove that wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:33 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top