Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2009, 09:51 AM

27 posts, read 69,475 times

Advertisements

Can someone here in San Antonio tell me why we need political parties? I truly believe they do more harm than good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 09:56 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,105,348 times
Unless this discussion is about local politics, it belongs in the Politics and Other Controversies forum. Since our city elections are officially non-partisan, I'll warn you that it's going to be difficult to keep it on-topic for this forum.

Maybe it would be a better fit for the Texas state forum?

Old 05-28-2009, 11:21 AM

18,129 posts, read 25,278,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SA Duckhunter View Post
Can someone here in San Antonio tell me why we need political parties? I truly believe they do more harm than good.
I can give you 1 reason,
I don't know the details, but I believe a political party has to get at least 10% of the national votes for them to be eligible to get public funding.

I believe that it's all about funding and "networking"
you can try to run for president by yourself... but you'll never beat Mr. X who is getting money from his political party plus their public support and will campaign for him/her.

http://www.fec.gov/pages/brochures/p....shtml#General
Minor party candidates and new party candidates may become eligible for partial public funding of their general election campaigns. (A minor party candidate is the nominee of a party whose candidate received between 5 and 25 percent of the total popular vote in the preceding Presidential election. A new party candidate is the nominee of a party that is neither a major party nor a minor party.).
The amount of public funding to which a minor party candidate is entitled is based on the ratio of the party's popular vote in the preceding Presidential election to the average popular vote of the two major party candidates in that election. A new party candidate receives partial public funding after the election if he/she receives 5 percent or more of the vote. The entitlement is based on the ratio of the new party candidate's popular vote in the current election to the average popular vote of the two major party candidates in the election.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio