U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 10:28 AM

88 posts, read 270,616 times

Advertisements

We just moved into a new house and we would like to install a few ceiling fans. We checked prices at Lowes ($110 per fan) and some Handyman places listed in the phonebook all average about $100 and one placed charged $65 per hr. sd might take 3 hours to install, NOT!!!!

Anyone have a good recommendation for someone that does this type of work. Looking for someone whom we can use for special projects on regular basis with reasonable rates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 10:54 AM

184 posts, read 409,729 times
Ceiling fans are pretty easy to install just make sure the power is turned off for that room you are working in. Trust me i am not a handyman at all and i was able to install all 6 ceiling fans in my house with no problem. How many do you have you are wanting to install?

Old 05-28-2009, 10:57 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,825 posts, read 33,229,869 times
Electricians do this. I use Dausin Electric

I agree with sdodd about ceiling fans being a DIY project. Although about 75% of the fans I install seem to rattle.

Old 05-29-2009, 11:27 AM

604 posts, read 1,372,467 times
The only thing I know about installing ceiling fans is that you have to say lots of four letter words --at least thats the way my husband does it.

Old 05-29-2009, 12:02 PM

161 posts, read 314,580 times
You really should attempt to install one yourself. The instructions that come with them are very simple and they all pretty much install the same.

It'll save you a couple hundred bucks and half a day on the weekend to do. Worth it to me, but if you've got the money to blow your time may be worth more to you too.

Old 05-29-2009, 12:05 PM

13,807 posts, read 26,355,404 times
first question is whether or not there is a hanger between the joists that can support the fan (this would have been done by the builder and is rarely standard on all rooms). If not, your project just became a lot more complicated and expensive. If it is there, at least try to install it yourself. It's MUCH easier with two people and a ladder is not an option. The first one I ever did took a couple hours, but by the sixth, I could do it in well under 30 minutes. Any "pro" telling you it can take three hours is a flat out liar and should be shown the door.

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/arti...453858,00.html

Old 05-29-2009, 12:41 PM

8,400 posts, read 20,173,551 times
Still, some folks aren't able to, can't afford to or prefer not to conduct this kind of work. If this is the case, and you need assistance, let us know as some of us on here may be able to help if you are only looking to install a couple of fans or need some light chores done.

But if you are just looking for a handyman, there are 46 entires in the San Antonio Yellow Pages.

Cheers! M2

Old 05-31-2009, 08:01 AM

5 posts, read 16,762 times
I am so near in getting the Aegean Ceiling Fan and I would really to get the one I saw online, it's just that I'm not so sure how to install it. I would want to get a handyman for it but I wanted to see first if I can do it.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:15 AM

1,314 posts, read 2,780,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
first question is whether or not there is a hanger between the joists that can support the fan (this would have been done by the builder and is rarely standard on all rooms). If not, your project just became a lot more complicated and expensive. If it is there, at least try to install it yourself. It's MUCH easier with two people and a ladder is not an option. The first one I ever did took a couple hours, but by the sixth, I could do it in well under 30 minutes. Any "pro" telling you it can take three hours is a flat out liar and should be shown the door.
Exactly correct-- I was going to post this before I saw your comment. (I would've rep'ed ya but it wouldn't let me. Apparently I rep you too much. )

We made sure to have all our rooms blocked for ceiling fans when the house was built, so installing them myself was quite easy.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:18 AM

214 posts, read 443,738 times
3 hours is way too much, but he was probably charging for the trip. You should definitely DIY as this is one of those things where if a professional is going to do it legally, he's going to be an electrician. If you had a bunch of work for him you could get him to quote you for that and before signing ask him to throw in the fans for cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio