U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 03:33 PM

2,260 posts, read 4,939,478 times

Advertisements

I remember feeling that way when I started dating my now-husband. He's hot, to be honest, and Hispanic (I'm not), and I did get the ol' mal ojo from more than one woman when we were out and about. I don't notice it now so maybe I got used to it? I actually had forgotten about it until I read your post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2009, 03:39 PM

11,929 posts, read 12,799,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
I think it's more that we've just got a more casual mindset and don't really care about style.

Style is nothing more than caring what people think of you. Maybe we're just a little less superficial than other places, to which I'd say that's not a bad thing.

Some of the most successful and wealthy people I know wear jeans and sandals to work.
I couldn't agree more! Very well put. It makes me proud to be from here.

Old 05-29-2009, 03:39 PM

322 posts, read 688,527 times
Quote:
Style is nothing more than caring what people think of you. Maybe we're just a little less superficial than other places, to which I'd say that's not a bad thing.
I agree and disagree on that point.. style is also caring about what you look like -- not just what other people think of you. I would assume, if you were going to church you wouldn't go in flip flops and sandals.. but it's common to see that at some of the moderate/nicer restaurants/bars here in SA. I can't speak to the dress attire @ the upper crust restaraunts (le Reve ) since I'm a < 30$/plate kinda guy.

I'm not for or against any particular style. I will agree with the comment that SA doesn't dress up as nicely or as often as other major cities do. I'm just as guilty; I want to throw on my favorite Spurs shirt and a pair of cargo shorts every chance I get!

I do think we're becoming more superficial though.. Ingram Park Mall is now getting a Coach purse store??? That makes 3 or 4 of those stores in SA?? La Canterra has really raised the "style" -- i.e. price -- of what people are willing to pay for clothing in SA.

*shrug*... it's not my 'bag' baby!

Old 05-29-2009, 03:41 PM

4,796 posts, read 13,711,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eger View Post
Yes, I agree with you.

My gf and I dress up a lot of the time to go out, a lot of people from here dress casually, or look like they've rolled out of bed. We have a different look than people here, probably more trendier and flashier.

While I find that not all people from SA are like this a majority are. It's almost as if people are clones of one another.

I've been told that SA is a couple of years behind with regards to styles.
I have to agree with the poster that said SA is more casual. Even compared to Houston and Dallas. It used to bother me because we always had to dress up going out to dinner when I was growing up. But then I realized I WAS grown up and could wear what I want. If we want to dress up, we do.....no one seems to care. Even the high end restaurants don't require coat and tie here. I think of Florida or the Virgin Islands (I know..now I'm dreaming)....but SA is getting VERY touristy. I think the travel industry is growing even more here because of the economy. People are traveling to less distant and exotic places.

As far as the OP......I'm guessing that you must be have a very handsome and well behaved family. That is getting more strange by the day! (check out Anthony's link in the off topic thread about the guy at McDonalds!)

Old 05-29-2009, 04:20 PM

14,613 posts, read 31,140,476 times
I think we're casual because it's usually freakin' hot. Bare skin draws a lot of looks, even if it's not tan and lean.

That said, 95% of the time I look up at who's coming in for 2 reasons. 1) it may be someone I know, and 2) HONESTLY, I want to make sure everyone's cool--you know, no guns drawn, no funny stuff goin' on. I'm very casual about it, but yes, I do look. I have been that way since one day at lunch on Roosevelt, a guy came in and took the cash register and ran to the getaway car. We were all so busy chewing and yakking that we saw nothing.

Old 05-29-2009, 04:26 PM

3,770 posts, read 7,274,116 times
I agree about the heat influencing how people dress. I know this isn't the hottest place in the country, but there are just some days where it is so hot I dont even wanna put on makeup much less my Sunday best. (dont worry I still put on the makeup, i may be hot but im also considerate )

Old 05-29-2009, 04:31 PM

1,740 posts, read 5,184,554 times
Here 15 years and I have never experienced what you are talking about...

Old 05-29-2009, 04:53 PM

674 posts, read 1,616,767 times
I don't get looks. Maybe I'm just a slob who's behind in fashion.

Give me a break! LOL

Old 05-29-2009, 05:38 PM

2,953 posts, read 8,600,860 times
Quote:
I think you're probably more paranoid than anything. I doubt that it's as bad as it is in your head.
I'm not paranoid, ---****Yes you are***---- no I'm not, there's no one watching me ---**** Are you sure ***--- Quit that! **--- I'm gonna tell **-- Aww, Who ya gonna Tell Well, just you don't never mind, you leave me alone, there's nobody watching me! ***Really???
Mommmy!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-29-2009, 06:51 PM

4,149 posts, read 9,303,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deek102 View Post
I would assume, if you were going to church you wouldn't go in flip flops and sandals..
You'd assume wrong

It's jeans and flip flops to Church for me! Jesus doesn't mind.

Heck, it's jeans everywhere for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or