U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 06:13 PM

27 posts, read 75,301 times

Advertisements

My parents don't like it anymore due to dirty silverware and getting the plates wrong on several occasions about 7-8 yrs ago, but my g/f and I love the one in Helotes as well as the one on 1604 on Redland Rd. Had a few small bad occasions ourselves but they're lucky we absolutely love their chips and salsa We're even thinking about going back tomorrow!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2009, 09:22 PM

288 posts, read 829,479 times
It's so funny that Major would write about this today. Last Sunday we went to El Chap, it's typically our favorite Mexican restaurant. We were seated right away, nice. It took 15 minutes to be greeted by the waiter, not nice. It took at least ten minutes to get our drinks. We were given one refill the entire meal. We didn't receive the beans before the meal as all the guests around us did. No biggie we thought, it's only beans. Our food came out relatively fast, but without silverware for another ten minutes! During each lull in time we tried to flag down other waiters, but they all flew by without noticing. My husband even got up to get our drinks on his own right as the waiter finally brought them. The waiter told us more than once that they didn't have an expo in the back, apparently that explained the poor service??? We noted that there didn't seem to be a manager on duty, and we chalked the poor service up to the lack of supervision. We were highly disappointed! The food overall was good, but we sure did miss our beans

Old 06-01-2009, 10:00 AM

36 posts, read 82,079 times
We have always had great service and great food there. Even have had other waiters stop to refill our drinks when they would notice we were empty as they walked by. I always recommend the one in Helotes to anyone looking for a good Mexican food restaurant.

Old 06-01-2009, 10:06 AM

1,314 posts, read 2,771,069 times
I'll add my endorsement as well. We've been to both the Helotes and Boerne locations several times and they're both good, but indeed the one in Helotes seems to be a notch above. The Spinach enchiladas are my fave!

Old 06-02-2009, 03:52 PM

1,255 posts, read 1,753,103 times
I went to the one in Boerne for lunch today. It was my first time and I was watching everything with a keen eye.

The service could not have been more diligent. Our drinks were refilled in a timely fashion with the rest of the staff helping each other. Our food came at the appropriate time and was hot. The food was good, even the refried beans which I seldom touch.

I cannot sing its praises high enough. I can only wonder what Helotes holds.

Old 06-02-2009, 03:58 PM

2,260 posts, read 4,939,037 times
Yeah, I like the Boerne one - I've been several times. I've only been to the Helotes one twice, but it was fine both times.

Old 06-06-2009, 11:46 PM

7 posts, read 10,340 times
Excellent food, great staff.

Old 06-07-2009, 08:07 AM

10 posts, read 12,288 times
Seriously, maybe they need to have their staff train at other eateries. I am the same way, I observe and when i have to wait, and wait-for my drink, or ask for my salad or something to snack while I am waiting on my waitress-that is frustrating. I have even gone so far as to tip the cook because the food was good but not the service.

Old 06-07-2009, 11:06 AM

689 posts, read 1,121,048 times
the last time we went (the one in Helotes) I noticed that their fajita plate was more expensive and they serve you a lot less now. Before, they gave you a big plate with the fajitas on there (plenty) and rice and beans. This past time we went, they now bring them to you on a skillet and don't serve you jack with a higher price. That pissed me off. As for the newer one on 1604, I've heard that it's not as good as the others because they try to be all "high end" with everything and the food isn't as good.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:17 PM

1 posts, read 1,574 times
Default El Chap

One correction - the original restaurant was RUDY and Irene's. Their daughter in law, Paula, worked at both restaurants forever.

A loyal customer since 1970!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio