U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-31-2010, 09:30 PM

1,630 posts, read 2,371,173 times

Advertisements

Breakfast at JIMS this morn, more from chance than choice.

Ordered an omlette (not esp good), crisp hash browns, toast and coffee. However, I decided to have a cup of chili for starters, and it really made the meal. Nice on a cold morning!
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 09:27 AM

865 posts, read 1,064,437 times
SandBar for dinner Friday- Service was not up to their normal level. They appeared to be in the weeds as we got lust in the shuffle a couple of times. They also cleared 1 diner's plate while another was still eating. DW's scallops w/ cauliflower & truffle puree were very tasty, but also slightly overcooked. They were passed translucent and starting the stringy stage. My skate with curry broth was very good, but just slightly over salted. That marred what otherwise was a perfect plate. We both had the Thai soup to start and it was driven by a light broth. Food B+, Service B-, Wine List A-, Cost: Expensive.

Roaring Fork for lunch Sunday- The decor is nice and straight out of the Houston's playbook. We started with the Hickory smoked salmon and it was what it was supposed to be (good but not a wow dish). DW had the pork stew w/ eggs off the brunch menu. It was on the salty side with good pork and mild green chili flavors. It tasted like very good chain food. I ordered the carnitas off the lunch menu and was underwhelmed. They executed a fairly tender piece of pork, but it lacked the intense pork flavor I want from that preparation. Blind, I would have had a hard time calling it as pork. The tortillas were soft, although they had a consistency i've never had in a tortilla before. The side of black beans were nothing to right home about. The wine list was wretched for a restaurant at this price point. It was a collection of largely overpriced supermarket wines (although they did have a decent Albarino). The margaritas were (DW's blood orange, and my top shelf) excellent. No issues with service. Food C+, Service A-, Cocktails A, Wine D

Old 02-01-2010, 12:16 PM

1,836 posts, read 2,051,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveUrban View Post
... It wasn't good. Service was slow and my steak came out medium rare instead of the well done I asked for.

Didn't want spit in my food so I just ate it.
What an incredibly sad statement. If you actually think the employees of Outback would do such a thing, then why even go there in the first place?

No guts. No glory.

Also, I agree with previous posters who balked at you getting the meat 'well done.' Granted, it's Outback, so it's not top-notch meat to begin with, but if you're ever at a truly upscale steakhouse and order it 'well done,' know that most of the servers will laugh at you and the kitchen will want you dead.

*wink*

BN

Old 02-01-2010, 12:23 PM

480 posts, read 671,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas View Post
What an incredibly sad statement. If you actually think the employees of Outback would do such a thing, then why even go there in the first place?

Also, I agree with previous posters who balked at you getting the meat 'well done.' Granted, it's Outback, so it's not top-notch meat to begin with, but if you're ever at a truly upscale steakhouse and order it 'well done,' know that most of the servers will laugh at you and the kitchen will want you dead.

BN
Don't they usually just drop it in the deep fryer for a few minutes?

Old 02-01-2010, 12:32 PM

1,836 posts, read 2,051,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pr57001 View Post
Don't they usually just drop it in the deep fryer for a few minutes?

LOL. At Outback, perhaps.

Now, at a place like Bohanans or The Palm, no. That's pure grill talent.

BN

Old 02-01-2010, 04:06 PM

558 posts, read 705,822 times
I prefer my steak medium rare but if I am spending my money in an establishment and they ask me how I want my steak then prepare it the way I ask.

If a person wants to blow 50.00 on a well done piece of meat, so be it.

Old 02-01-2010, 05:12 PM

1,490 posts, read 1,522,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas View Post

No guts. No glory.

*wink*

BN

I would never go there if it was up to me, however my family invited me to go so I went with them.

It's no wonder that I don't eat at upscale steakhouses... I don't care for uncooked cow meat. I don't want the meat to moo at me.

Although I contradict that statement whenever I eat sushi.

Old 02-01-2010, 05:27 PM

300 posts, read 380,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveUrban View Post
I would never go there if it was up to me, however my family invited me to go so I went with them.

It's no wonder that I don't eat at upscale steakhouses... I don't care for uncooked cow meat. I don't want the meat to moo at me.

Although I contradict that statement whenever I eat sushi.
If you've not some mental aversion inhibiting you, you simply haven't tasted a good steak. A properly aged piece of meat is quite tasty raw, and chews easily because it has broken down in the aging process.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:13 PM

21,406 posts, read 23,105,941 times
I agree with Rapscallion about the taste of a raw or medium raw steak, but I also agree with LiveUrban: when you go to a steak restaurant and the waiter ask you how would you like your steak - he better bring you the steak the way you want it or don't bother to ask. If the chef choose not to respect the customer choice, the restaurant should print on the menu that the steak will be prepared to the chef preference, ONLY !

Old 02-01-2010, 09:19 PM

2,263 posts, read 3,591,893 times
I have been to roaring fork and liked it alot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio