U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2010, 09:54 PM

2,790 posts, read 5,285,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbrocks View Post
LOL! Never been but I love the name, I'll have to remember it when I'm out that way
Yeah LOL pretty cool name. There's basically 2 BBQ joints around that area and the other one is the Peach Pit which is in town. We try to stay away from the in-town joints just because they are so much more crowded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2010, 10:01 PM

14,637 posts, read 31,691,855 times
I've eaten at the Peach Pit BBQ right there in town. Meh. I make better Q at home and I'm no pitmaster. Good sides, though.

Old 02-07-2010, 09:35 AM

3,111 posts, read 8,427,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountryHotRodMan View Post
Ate at Cranky Frank's BBQ off 87 outside of Fredericksburg. The brisket was falling apart, very tender and moist. Sausage was so-so... not bad at all but not the best in the world. They have very good sides, had po' salad and beans. Overall they are pretty darned good.
Cranky Franks

They have wi-fi too, which you don't find out in small towns a lot. We were there when my daughter was a week away from graduating HS. She got a call that the teacher didn't rec'd a paper needed for graduation. The teacher said she would give her until 3:00 that day!! Luckily Cranky Franks had wi-fi and she was able to email the paper to the teacher.
What are the odds?

Oh yeah, and the food was good too

Old 02-07-2010, 10:49 AM

1,668 posts, read 3,425,074 times
My Wife ate at the Quizno's (Her first time at any Quizno's) on Callaghan otside of 410 yesterday evening (7:00pm). She had a Mesquite Chicken Sandwich and has been feeling the pain (both coming and going) since 10:00pm last night.

I have already filed a complaint on the COSA Metro Health Webpage.

Old 02-07-2010, 10:54 AM

I have sworn off Quizno's. The one at Culebra and 1604 underwent some franchisee changes, and it is not edible anymore. Firehouse for the win.

Old 02-07-2010, 11:27 AM

1,668 posts, read 3,425,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
I have sworn off Quizno's. The one at Culebra and 1604 underwent some franchisee changes, and it is not edible anymore. Firehouse for the win.
I checked out the COSA Metro Health Department site where you can look at their Inspections. The last one was last month and they had three demerits. That's not bad but again that was a month ago.

I didn't ask her if the Server was wearing gloves. I'm baffled when it comes to the number of Men (Employee or not) I see leaving the Bathroom without washing their hands. I guess it's a good thing since you learn very quickly those in which you can shake hands with. There are too many variables when it comes to getting sick at an eating establishment.

Was it Poop, Bad Chicken, Lettuce, etc.? I guess the only thing you know is to never go back.

Old 02-07-2010, 11:35 AM

They may be clean, but they don't taste right anymore....at that location. I know they had a big shake-up with franchisees recently and frankly, Firehouse has a much better sandwich. So, whether they wash their hands or wash their lettuce doesn't matter.....to me, anyway.

And it's not just men that don't wash their hands. I see it constantly at work--many of us share a common large bathroom and you would be amazed at the supposedly educated women that don't wash. I am just glad I'm not in the same office, touching the same phones or keyboards as them.

Old 02-07-2010, 01:21 PM

1,457 posts, read 1,939,716 times
Thurmonz - used to be Water something on Broadway.

It was reasonably good. Service was on the mark. Not a gourmet destination but a good dinner experience.

Currently involved with a local chain that seemed to nail us. 5 went to lunch. Next day, 3 hit the john for days. Interesting, the sick 3 had their food served at one time. The two that didn't get sick had it brought later.

Health dept. is on the job. We won't be eating there for their special Thurs. chicken special anymore (one guy loved it and we indulged him).

Old 02-07-2010, 02:49 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,400,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEM-Texas View Post
... Currently involved with a local chain that seemed to nail us. 5 went to lunch. Next day, 3 hit the john for days. Interesting, the sick 3 had their food served at one time. The two that didn't get sick had it brought later.

Health dept. is on the job. We won't be eating there for their special Thurs. chicken special anymore (one guy loved it and we indulged him).
Why so cryptic about the business? Isn't that what CD is for... To provide useful info to help others out? Do share, as you might save someone else from a week of Montezuma's Revenge.

Speaking of just bad food, I've sworn off Taco Cabana and Bill Millers, as both eateries have killed me in the past month. Both on SW Military. It was a miserable few days.

BN

Old 02-07-2010, 04:30 PM

1,848 posts, read 4,256,322 times
The setting is very classic and comfortable. Large, dark shelving surrounds the dining area and are stocked with glassware, wine bottles, white ceramic dishes and bronze cookware.

The open kitchen attracts staff buzzing around like bees to a flower.

The booths offer a cozy and warm retreat and the feel is very much that of a little private nook.

We made 7:30 reservations for a Saturday night, arrived on time and were sat immediately.

Upon being brought to our table, I was conferring with Hubby asking if perhaps he wanted to sit at the long, kitchen viewing table instead. As we discussed the hostess simply watched and then smiled big stating that our waiter would be right with us, I think she was ready for us just to sit down where we had been taken to.

The bread brought to the table rivals any other bread basket! An array of corn bread, peasant bread, wheat, etc. etc. In fact, the bread is kept nearly in the middle of the restaurant where you can see staff constantly slicing and plating. See photo.

Auden's will soon be open for lunch and brunch but not at the moment. So we only browsed the dinner menu - but first the drinks.

Hubby was bummed at first that the bar was just beer and wine, but we knew that in advance, he was bummed again at the lack of draft beers (just 4) but got over it quick with a Shiner delivered in a bottle with a cold glass. I ordered a glass of wine. The wine list is interesting, divided by both "red" and "white" and then divided again by price.

Hubby had a Pizza cooked with tomatoes and cotija and I had an awesome Vegetable Wrap stuffed with artichokes, mushrooms, carrots, lettuce and basil pesto cheese. I opted for a side salad with my wrap that consisted on an array of greens, diced tomatoes, a salty vinegarette and a few shavings of cheese. The food was great, the only tip I could give is that the pizza dough needs just a little something as it was a bit bland, made up for of course with the awesome toppings.

Our waitress Kim was a doll. All staff are obviously new at Auden's as Auden's itself is new. Kim was busy yet personable and hospitable. Other staff buzzing about included runners taking care of all tables, water service, clearing plates, checking in for drink refills etc.

Overall, I would return to Auden's and I also think they may have their finger on the pulse of the Stone Oak area. Chic casual, kid's meals under $5, beautiful setting and good service.

Last edited by cr1039; 02-07-2010 at 04:51 PM.. Reason: sp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or