U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-21-2010, 01:40 AM

99,379 posts, read 26,344,394 times

Advertisements

Augie's ..not bad !! I like the place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2010, 05:34 PM

85 posts, read 213,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGJ View Post
Take out today from Rubens Tamales on Roland/Rigsby. Not a restaurant but damn good tamales...
I went to Rubens tamales a couple weeks back just to see alll the fuzz and I tried the tamales and I didn't even finish one. I just didn't like the whole taste. It makes me wonder if some of the people that go there really know what a tamale really taste like. I don't get why they say they're the best tamales in town. I'll just call moms and tell her to cook some good tamales.

Btw I just ate some shrimp ceviche my pops made. Hmmmm... Delicious and spicy.
http://i735.photobucket.com/albums/ww359/carlos12806/21833d6f.jpg (broken link)

Old 02-21-2010, 05:38 PM
Status: "The blue mat is obsessed with me. Whyyyy??" (set 8 days ago)

13,648 posts, read 22,069,269 times
No offense, but that doesn't look like anything I would eat. Ever.

I'm sure it was tasty, though, if you say so.

Old 02-21-2010, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
No offense,
None taken!

Never say never!

Old 02-21-2010, 05:55 PM
Status: "The blue mat is obsessed with me. Whyyyy??" (set 8 days ago)

13,648 posts, read 22,069,269 times
You're a good sport, Kobe (LOL not something most Spurs fans would say) but can you describe what is in it, and what it tastes like? I do like to try new things......

Old 02-21-2010, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
You're a good sport, Kobe (LOL not something most Spurs fans would say) but can you describe what is in it, and what it tastes like? I do like to try new things......
Thanks!

Ok let me see if I can explained te whole process.
well the ingredients were shrimp, oranges, cucumbers, red onions, limes, salt, and most importantly the chile habanero. My father buys the shrimp that's already deveined but not peeled. He gets home and peels them off. Then he squeezes a couple key limes and then soaks the shrimp with all the lime juice for an hour. After that he squeezes more limes and throws the old lime juice and puts the freshly squeeze juice in the shrimp. By this time he has all the other ingredients cut up and the habanero chiles grind up with a little bit of water and salt. He then mixes everything together and adds a little bit of salt. After that grab the chips or tostadas and enjoy. It has a lot of flavors, it's definetly spicy, tangy, and sour. I love seafood and especially the ceviche

Old 02-21-2010, 06:26 PM

The only place I've been able to find seafood close to what my parents make it is El Bucanero on WW White. But then again I don't really look for seafood places since mom and pops can make some of he best seafood ever!

Old 02-21-2010, 07:29 PM

1,634 posts, read 2,404,410 times
A little late, but had dinner at MAGIC TIME MACHINE on Valentines. I haven't been there in 15-20 years, so it was fun to revisit. Our waitress was Hannah Montana. My prime rib and GFs filet were great, sides were ok. I was pleased that they had the cheese soup at the soup and salad car that night, I love it, it's just like JIMS. They did forget to bring her baked potato, but we didn't even notice until we were almost home, and we still had lots of leftovers. Would have been good to have the next day though

Old 02-22-2010, 09:00 AM

875 posts, read 1,084,146 times
Saturday night we went to Dough, but the wait was running 30-45 minutes. We decided to give Barbaresco a try.

The space is interesting in that in evokes both a large hotel dining room (the ridiculously high ceilings) and a gentleman's club (not that I have ever been to one).

The waiter informed us that certain appetizers were available at happy hour pricing ($5 each) and we went with portobellos in a gorgonzola sauce w/ hearts of palm & a beef carpaccio. The portobello plate arrived with 2 large caps swimming in sauce with a small dice of hearts of palm on top. This was easily enough app for a party of 4. The taste was saucy and a hint salty, but for $5 it more than delivered. The carpaccio was shaved so thin that it completely adhered to the plate and the dish lacked any flavor. Seriously, the beef, greens, and cheese were each devoid of flavor. I question their freshness/quality.

The entrees were a different story. Unlike the apps, the entrees were largely priced in the $23 and up range. The waiter, without solicitation, launched into an unneeded explanation of 8 or so picks from the menu (the menu was self-explanatory w/ no unusual items). Among those picks was a seafood risotto that he explained was like a paella. My only thought was I hope the chef doesn't agree with that nonsense.

I bravely ordered that risotto and my wife ordered a simple pappardelle with ragu. The wife's pasta was tolerable. It was cooked past al dente and the ragu lacked any depth of flavor. We took 3/4 of it home (again very large portions) and it did not improve over night. The risotto was 1 of the worst renditions I have ever had. Think dry spanish style rice with overcooked seafood and a ladle of diced tomato & broth thrown over it before sending it to the table. It was barely edible and had little resemblance to a proper risotto in taste or presentation. The scallops were particularly offensive with their rubbery texture and crunchy grit. Needless to say, most of it stayed on the plate at the restaurant.

Their wine selection, by the glass and bottle, is very good for SA. How often can you find an 04 Barolo by the glass here? Their cocktail list was largely a collection of sweet drinks. I would only go back for a glass of vino and app at happy hour. Food C-, Wine B+/A-, Service C-, Decor C-, QPR Happy Hour Apps B, QPR Entrees F. Why pay Il Sogno prices for chain food quality?

Last night, we made the chicken thighs from Thomas Keller's Ad Hoc at Home and they were insanely heart warming and easy! I can't recommend that cookbook enough...

Old 02-22-2010, 10:41 AM

1,162 posts, read 1,137,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas View Post
La Tuna for lunch: Best fish tacos in town. Always a great meal, service and heaping portions for the price...

BN
I like their milanesa sandwich, very tasty. Washed all down with a couple Shiners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio