U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2010, 11:57 PM

902 posts, read 2,657,046 times

Advertisements

Went to Lulu's on Saturday for an early dinner only to find it was closed until 7:30 p.m. (Something told me to call before we left, but I didn't listen!) Very disappointed daughter had been looking forward to chicken fried steak for at least two days and the smell of the cinnamon buns baking was so tantalizing. However, it was not to be.
So! We headed over to Tip Top on Fredericksburg Rd. where our hunger for chicken fried steak was delightfully satisfied. Hubby had fried chicken that he said was as good as he remembered his mama making! LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 03:01 AM

790 posts, read 3,655,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catriona View Post
Went to Lulu's on Saturday for an early dinner only to find it was closed until 7:30 p.m. (Something told me to call before we left, but I didn't listen!)
Lulu's used to be owned/run by Lulu and family (her son Mike now owns Green vegetarian cuisine). Their family is 7th Day Adventist, which could explain why the restaurant was closed until sunset on Saturday but I thought that since opening Green, Lulu's restaurant had been sold to new owners.

Old 06-29-2010, 06:58 PM

1 posts, read 2,829 times
Armadillo's burgers off broadway.We got a HUGE double burger and even between 4 of us we couldn't finish it. Pretty good burgers but not very roomy inside.

Old 06-30-2010, 12:45 AM

2,359 posts, read 5,536,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catriona View Post
Went to Lulu's on Saturday for an early dinner only to find it was closed until 7:30 p.m. (Something told me to call before we left, but I didn't listen!) Very disappointed daughter had been looking forward to chicken fried steak for at least two days and the smell of the cinnamon buns baking was so tantalizing. However, it was not to be.
So! We headed over to Tip Top on Fredericksburg Rd. where our hunger for chicken fried steak was delightfully satisfied. Hubby had fried chicken that he said was as good as he remembered his mama making! LOL!
Might have been a good thing it was closed, I was in there a few months ago and it stank inside. Not sure if it was only that day.

Tip top chicken.

Old 07-01-2010, 08:04 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,399,542 times
La Gloria, today for lunch...

I'm still not sold on this place. Sure, they have a good business, but I dare say it's mostly college kids who may or may not know the first thing about AUTHENTIC Mexican 'street food.' I ordered a smattering of fish, gordita, bisteca and other specialties, finding most of them bland and anything but 'street' in nature.

What's worse is that it's pricey for what you actually get: My partner and I spent nearly $40 (no alcohol) on lunch. The service was MUCH better this time around and the meal showed up quickly, but the actual taste was something akin to a higher-end Las Palapas. It had no heat, taste or heart. It felt mass produced.

They still have a fly problem too. They're everywhere. Yuck.

I'll wait awhile before going back. None too impressed.

BN

Old 07-01-2010, 08:19 PM

6,614 posts, read 9,089,571 times
I was going to post this yesterday but forget.

Some co-workers and I went to Dough Pizzeria for lunch yesterday, mostly because we couldn't make a decision and I was craving pizza and it's semi close to the office.

I know the place gets great reviews and I will go there again, but for a the great reviews it probably needs a bigger venue at this point. We went at traditional lunch time and were crammed in a smallish table for 4. I felt like the people I was walking by may end up giving me a restraining order if I touched them on my way in, out, or to the restroom....even the waiter (who was a tad over the top with the flirting as it was a table full of 20 something females) was a bit squeezed in.

I got a panceta pizza which was just enough for lunch. I don't think I could have handled the pizza and the salad that came as the special for $10.

Overall it was a snazzy little place and i can understand why people go there and say it is so awesome.

Old 07-01-2010, 09:17 PM

2,359 posts, read 5,536,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas View Post

I'm still not sold on this place. Sure, they have a good business, but I dare say it's mostly college kids who may or may not know the first thing about AUTHENTIC Mexican 'street food.' I ordered a smattering of fish, gordita, bisteca and other specialties, finding most of them bland and anything but 'street' in nature.

What's worse is that it's pricey for what you actually get: My partner and I spent nearly $40 (no alcohol) on lunch. The service was MUCH better this time around and the meal showed up quickly, but the actual taste was something akin to a higher-end Las Palapas. It had no heat, taste or heart. It felt mass produced.

BN
I agree with you 100% not sure why everyone is gaga over it, very overrated. Anyone been to Mr. Tim's? want to try that place.

Old 07-02-2010, 07:43 AM

769 posts, read 869,906 times
Default last restaurant you ate at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas View Post

BN
Thanks for the warning on the place. I had seen the article in the paper and all,but thought I'd see if they had a website.They do, but it's hard to navigate,etc.
Know what you mean about las Palapas.I prefer El Jalisco in Schertz or even Salsalitos on Nacogdoches to Las Palapas.

Old 07-02-2010, 11:17 AM

Re: Mr. Tim's (in Southtown)

I have been, several times in fact and each time the place has been so disgustingly dirty that I've gotten up and left. The floors were sticky, the bathroom not cleaned in what appeared to be weeks. It didn't help that my waitress on this last visit had what appeared to be a cold (and didn't cover her mouth when she coughed). Overall, I just don't want to go back- no matter how big the cinnamon rolls, etc. Not worth it to me.

The real kicker came when I posted my experience on UrbanSpoon and got a private message back from 'Mr Tim' himself, chastising me for a good paragraph and saying that my money was no longer good in his establishment. That's a stupid businessman: Instead of listening, he's offended and likely makes no changes in his model.

Eh. I can live without Tim's. Better places for brekkie in this town anyway.

BN

Old 07-02-2010, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
I was going to post this yesterday but forget.

Some co-workers and I went to Dough Pizzeria for lunch yesterday, mostly because we couldn't make a decision and I was craving pizza and it's semi close to the office.

I know the place gets great reviews and I will go there again, but for a the great reviews it probably needs a bigger venue at this point. We went at traditional lunch time and were crammed in a smallish table for 4. I felt like the people I was walking by may end up giving me a restraining order if I touched them on my way in, out, or to the restroom....even the waiter (who was a tad over the top with the flirting as it was a table full of 20 something females) was a bit squeezed in.

I got a panceta pizza which was just enough for lunch. I don't think I could have handled the pizza and the salad that came as the special for $10.

Overall it was a snazzy little place and i can understand why people go there and say it is so awesome.

Dough does rock, but yes-yes-yes, they need a bigger spot. Since they don't have the room to expand within that shopping center, it's best that they pack up and move to a new development.

Frankly, that place gets so packed on weekends that it's uncomfortable, hot and elbow to elbow. I expect that kind of situation in a place like Manhattan, but here in San Antonio, there should always be a little room to stretch your legs.

BN
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or