U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-24-2010, 02:33 PM
RGJ

1,898 posts, read 2,648,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blizzrd View Post
bracken store cafe last Saturday for one of THE BEST burgers around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2010, 04:18 PM
Status: "The blue mat is obsessed with me. Whyyyy??" (set 13 days ago)

13,648 posts, read 22,125,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbrocks View Post
Has some CHIC-FIL-A at North Star Mall, no reason to mention it except- after getting my food and taking it to the food court to eat, a CFA emp came up and asked me if I needed a refill AND took my trash! This is new to me, I was impressed
The Chik-Fil-A at Alamo Ranch has great service, too. Almost rivals the amazing service ( for a FF joint ) at the Carl's Jr. at Bandera and Eckhert. I am not lying, I swear. They train those kids well.

Old 09-24-2010, 04:29 PM

602 posts, read 648,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I had terrible lunch today. Went with a friend to Tomatillos on Broadway.
First the hostess show us the worst table ( on the front of connecting door - high traffic and air draft). The restaurant at 12:15 pm was 2/3 empty. ( I should get a hint, no??). Then we waited 10 min until waiter took the drink orders. It took him 3 trips to bring the right ones ( diet coke and regular coke - I guess, too complicated). I ordered Combinacion de Sopa, a tortilla soup with beef fajita taco. Friend had Carne Guisada. When the waiter brought the soup, there was more of it spilled all over the saucer and plate than in the bowl. My taco was all soaked in it too.
The soup was lukewarm and completely tasteless. The meat in my taco was tasteless too ( I mean - no salt and pepper or any other seasoning at all), my friend's meat ( actually the same fajita meat, just in a gravy) was tasteless too.
I am a very moderate salt user, but I could not taste any salt or other seasonings in our dishes at all.
With a little sour cream ( another 6 min. wait) the soup was bearable, and I finished my meal. My friend tried to save it with salt and pepper, but it was beyond saving so he left everything on the plate.
When the waiter came back to pick up the dishes, he asked if everything was ok. I said that the food was horrible. He offered to bring something else, but we didn't feel like to try another failure. We paid and left.
The waiter tried to apologize and asked us to come back and try again, but it will be a while.....
At 1 PM, when we were leaving, the restaurant was still 2/3 empty...
I know I'm a few pages late on the Tomatillo's discussion, but I had to comment after reading your post.
I cannot figure out how Tomatillo's has managed to stay in business. I went there years ago and ordered Carne Guisada; it had these chunks of fat in it that were so huge, I thought they were potatoes mixed in to the gravy sauce. Tomatillo's is horrible.

Old 09-24-2010, 09:33 PM

Ding How. $50 for the three of us for dinner, so quite a bit more than their really inexpensive lunch, but good food and adequate service. It has a strange odor as you walk up the ramp to go to the hostess area, but once you're in the dining room, all is well. It's old school, decoration-wise, and the menu is very broad, yet typical of most of the Chinese places ( non-buffet ) in town.

I had the chicken in garlic sauce, boy had sesame chicken, and hubby had shrimp lo mein. My one complaint was with the egg drop soup--I'm not a water chestnut fan at all and the soup had several chunks of it--but once I scooped them out, the rest was really nice. Be prepared to pay $2 extra for wonton chips....I would have skipped them had I known--just not that important, but I like them.

The entrees are huge, enough for 2 to share, so next time we go that's what we'll do. The kid didn't like his sesame chicken because it was not the typical smothered-in-sweet-sticky sauce like he's had before. My garlic chicken was wonderful and they are extremely generous with the chicken. I didn't try the lo mein but my husband is pretty picky and he liked it. The shrimp were pretty shrimpy in size, that's for sure.....but again, he liked it.

I'm glad after 25 years of driving by, I finally went. We'll definitely go back--maybe for the lunch prices, though.

Old 09-24-2010, 09:46 PM

2,770 posts, read 3,347,284 times
You finally went to Ding How. Awesome. Okay, water chestnuts in the egg drop soup is kinda weird, but I think the extra crunch would be different. But they charge 2 bux for something (the wonton noodles for the soup) that is normally complimentary. You dunk a few in your soup, it's not like eating 2 baskets of chips and salsa at a mexican restaurant.

The sesame chicken was too spicy? Or just not sweet enough?

I'm like you, I have not been (in over 30 years since I have been in this hell hole) so I have been waiting for your review to see if I will go.

Old 09-24-2010, 11:33 PM

738 posts, read 812,789 times
In all this time, I've never been there for dinner. Crazy huh?

Last edited by blizzrd; 09-24-2010 at 11:51 PM..

Old 09-25-2010, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountryHotRodMan View Post
You finally went to Ding How. Awesome. Okay, water chestnuts in the egg drop soup is kinda weird, but I think the extra crunch would be different. But they charge 2 bux for something (the wonton noodles for the soup) that is normally complimentary. You dunk a few in your soup, it's not like eating 2 baskets of chips and salsa at a mexican restaurant.

The sesame chicken was too spicy? Or just not sweet enough?

I'm like you, I have not been (in over 30 years since I have been in this hell hole) so I have been waiting for your review to see if I will go.
These were very large wonton chips......about 8 full-size. Like I said, had I known the size and price, I would have skipped them. Really not crucial as the soup was very flavorful and hot.

The sesame chicken was a mountain of very crispily fried chicken strips, covered in sesame seeds. The sauce was underneath, and no, not the sweet stuff my kid was hoping for. It wasn't spicy, it was just very soy-saucy. He ended up using the duck sauce on the table and dipped his chicken in that.

Oh, and the egg rolls had actual hamburger meat or sausage in them. They were pretty good, and they come with your soup as an appetizer. My garlic chicken was great, and I didn't get an MSG headache and I feel fine this morning, so they are definitely not getting crossed off the list!

Old 09-25-2010, 11:35 AM

738 posts, read 812,789 times
their egg rolls are great. i think it's pork in them though. now i'm hungry for some.

Old 09-25-2010, 07:59 PM

1,634 posts, read 2,411,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
The Chik-Fil-A at Alamo Ranch has great service, too. Almost rivals the amazing service ( for a FF joint ) at the Carl's Jr. at Bandera and Eckhert. I am not lying, I swear. They train those kids well.

What really got me is that the emp sought me out among the other diners in the food court common seating area, I was not in the actual restaurant (that location has no dining area).

I also like how CARLS will bring your order to you and check on you during your stay. However I have many probs with the counter service at the one I frequent (PB@410) and others do too. I have seen drive-thru and walk in custs enraged to screaming THREE different times at that location! Most recently, I had to take back 2 burgers that were nothing like I ordered, and then watched the emp remake them wrong TWO MORE TIMES, even with the manager standing over his shoulder. I actually took over and told him how to make them step by step. I do like that you can see them make the food, if it was an "in-back" place, I would of just got a refund.

Old 09-25-2010, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blizzrd View Post
In all this time, I've never been there for dinner. Crazy huh?

Ha! Not really, since it took me 25 YEARS to finally eat there. And the weird thing is, I really thought it would be bright in there.....as in, wow, all these years I thought I saw windows. Nope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbrocks View Post
What really got me is that the emp sought me out among the other diners in the food court common seating area, I was not in the actual restaurant (that location has no dining area).

I also like how CARLS will bring your order to you and check on you during your stay. However I have many probs with the counter service at the one I frequent (PB@410) and others do too. I have seen drive-thru and walk in custs enraged to screaming THREE different times at that location! Most recently, I had to take back 2 burgers that were nothing like I ordered, and then watched the emp remake them wrong TWO MORE TIMES, even with the manager standing over his shoulder. I actually took over and told him how to make them step by step. I do like that you can see them make the food, if it was an "in-back" place, I would of just got a refund.
Yikes! Every time i drive past the one on my side of town, the drive-thru is packed and the lot is full. (cue the snickers from the peanut gallery) Dickie's next door, not so much. Sad that yours is so bad.....they're probably the same franchisees, wouldn't you think? Or are these corporate stores? I have no idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio