U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2011, 05:51 PM

778 posts, read 2,217,720 times

Advertisements

KD's in Lytle just off of I-35. Skip the Philly Cheese Steak and stick with either the Ranger or the Ooozing Volcano burger. Both are served on fresh sourdough buns and they are awesome. Onion rings are not that great - hit or miss really, but the fries are good. And my wife loves the shakes!

If you go, be prepared to wait while they cook your food to order.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 06:14 PM

574 posts, read 1,160,391 times
Bayseas... (410 & Blanco)

Well I have eaten there twice and the food there is a solid "good". The trout...I wouldn't suggest, especially deep fried. The fillets are too thin to stand up to the harsh cooking of deep fried grease. The shrimp that came with the special were not very good at all. They seemed to be marinated/seasoned with something acidic therefore cooking the shrimp before it had even been deep fried. The texture was off, and the sizes were kinda on the skimpy side. I don't know if these are the shrimp they serve as side items to their normal entrees or the shrimp they serve in their regular shrimp dinners. The catfish was VERY GOOD!! I was very impressed with the fish being properly seasoned and cooked...soul food fried ...NOT southern fried. The fillets were thick, fresh tasting, moist and piping hot. Slapped it between some bread (which I had to provide) with hot sauce and lemon and went to work. MmmMMMMMmmmMMMMmMMmMmmm very good! The fries were potatoes cooked in hot oil, nothing to complain about or compliment. The coleslaw varied in creaminess on the two visits. It was fresh and tasty both times, I think I prefer the less creamy option though.

While the catfish was spectacular...getting one slice of bread for a 5 pc. fish dinner was not. One slice of bread??? The price could've been a bit better, IMO. Back home where we are further away from any fresh water, the shrimp and fish dinners at your "hood" fish fry place the prices were cheaper for similar to better quality and your meal came with two sides and at least 2 pcs of bread. Maybe there was more competition back home so that dictated the prices, who knows.

The customer service was spot on, the staff attentive and helpful.

I will definitely be back to try out their soul food dinners. Fried chicken and mac & cheese is a true barometer on good soul food, I plan to try this next. I went with fish the first two times since this is a seafood joint. If the catfish is any indication on the frying skills of the cook in the back, the chicken should be promising!

Old 01-18-2011, 06:34 PM

89 posts, read 175,594 times
St. Josephine's Bakery. It is located outside the zoo. Great place.

Old 01-20-2011, 07:11 PM

322 posts, read 688,527 times
Main Street Pizza. We used to really enjoy going to this place -- until the owner showed us how little he knows (cares?) about customer service.

Eight of us went here for lunch this week. One coworker ordered a two topping pizza - their usual. It only came out with one of the toppings so they let the waitress know the pizza was incorrect. After going back and forth a couple times the owner brought the ticket over and said, basically, "no, you're wrong, you only ordered one topping." Another coworker spoke up and said "but I heard them order two toppings and saw the cashier it that down".

We could argue over who's right and who's right all day long but it wouldn't lead us anywhere. The bottom line is you would think an owner of a customer service-oriented business would use the "I'm so sorry we missed your topping, apparently it wasn't on the ticket, we'll go ahead and add it to your pizza and get it right out" and simply eat the 5-25 cents worth of veggies that it cost him.

Instead, He chose to win an argument with a table of 8 who now won't come back. We spent at least 70$ there today and we do that at least once a month. Apparently winning that argument over 25 cents worth of pizza toppings was more important than steady business from loyal customers.

I'm really disappointed because we did like the place but I can't patronize a place that treats a friend -- a customer -- this way.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:09 PM

6,257 posts, read 8,985,070 times
McAdoo's, New Braunfels. They still can't figure out how to provide hush puppies. Service was very good, but portions have gotten noticeably smaller, and honestly the food was pretty much "okay" - certainly nothing special. And don't bother asking for a comment card. We did - and never got one.

Were with another couple, celebrating their sons' 17th birthday (which we told them). He got some bread pudding......and that's it. Most places at least do a little something extra w/the wait staff or something (and they used to there, as well - which is why we chose to go there) - but nada.

Will we be back? Maybe in 6-8 months, but certainly not anytime soon, and we go out at least once a week. VERY disappointing experience overall!

Old 01-20-2011, 08:50 PM

153 posts, read 248,770 times
Chuy's 281/1604 for lunch yesterday. 1st time ever eating there and I have to say the family loved the experience and will go back frequently. I believe Lindsey(? I am bad with names) was our server and she was so helpful in suggesting menu items. After ordering she took it upon herself to bring us different salsa's and then sauces for the entrees that she said we might like. We have lived in SA for a little over a year now and this was definately the best experience, service wise, thus far. It started with the very friendly manager seating us to the other servers making their way over to visit and talk to our 1 year old granddaughter. And most importantly we enjoyed the food.... A+ Chuy's...

Old 01-20-2011, 09:58 PM

3,669 posts, read 5,897,807 times
Tried B & B Smokehouse on Pleasanton just south of Military Dr. and it was pretty good but nothing above what was expected. No complaints with the brisket, sausage, or chicken. The sausage was already cut up into little pieces so was very easy to dip in the sauce. The brisket was a tad dry but still moist enough to not call it dry, not greasy or fatty, which is a plus. Will have to go back to try the burgers, which is unusual for a BBQ joint to have, and the people at the counter were very nice.

B & B Smokehouse (menu on website)

With all the barbecue restaurants now in the South and East sides I no longer miss Bob's Smokehouse.

Old 01-21-2011, 09:22 AM

10,864 posts, read 11,904,421 times
Had a 2-for-1 deal so we hit Zio's last night. For half price, it was great.

Old 01-21-2011, 07:29 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,330,035 times
Family in town w/ kids... Was dragged to Rainforest Cafe. It was about what I expected and how four people can ring up a bill of $300 w/out alcohol for lunch is beyond me.

Oh, wait: It's the Riverwalk (and a mass chain).

I'm headed out now to try the new location of Tre downtown. Looking forward to having this new menu in the space and hope it's nearly as good as their Broadway digs.

BN

Old 01-22-2011, 01:17 AM

3,183 posts, read 7,413,016 times
Las Palapas (281/1604) yummy homemade corn tortillas...food came quickly, nice and hot...margarita was potent!!

Tried Hon Machi last Monday for lunch (teppanyaki) kids loved it, food pretty good, had a standard shrimp and chicken teppanyaki..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or