U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2011, 04:55 PM

490 posts, read 969,066 times

Advertisements

Thai Dee, first time. Great dive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 01:08 PM

1,642 posts, read 3,554,055 times
I fnally checked out R&B TASTE OF CHICAGO on Austin Highway, I have wanted to try a hotdog with Chicago style toppings for a long time. The dog and bun were very good, didn't care much for the toppngs, I guess you have to be raised on them. You can get hotdogs any way you like of course, and they also serve sandwiches, cheesesteaks and burgers. The onion rings looked good, they are the big, thick kind

Old 02-16-2011, 03:16 PM
RGJ

1,902 posts, read 4,015,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbrocks View Post
I fnally checked out R&B TASTE OF CHICAGO on Austin Highway, I have wanted to try a hotdog with Chicago style toppings for a long time. The dog and bun were very good, didn't care much for the toppngs, I guess you have to be raised on them. You can get hotdogs any way you like of course, and they also serve sandwiches, cheesesteaks and burgers. The onion rings looked good, they are the big, thick kind
I always get the cheesesteak with peppers

Old 02-18-2011, 09:17 AM

1,414 posts, read 1,867,916 times
Titaya - Thai on Lamar in Austin. Was pretty good. Fish ball/shrimp noodle soup, spinach dumplings.

Got there at 5:00 by 6:00 it was jammed.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:29 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,331,315 times
Luke, last night.

The service is unfailingly polite. The design of the room is oddly sparse with absolutely horrible lighting... I could care less if florescent light is energy saving: When I'm paying money for a meal, I'd like to see it please. The meal itself was fantastic. We started with the meat pies, which could have used a slightly less hard shell on them and liver pate. Both turned out nicely.

I opted for fried chicken for the main. Great choice, as it was well-presented and cooked perfectly. The sidecar of Benton's bacon-based cream gravy was a nice touch. The bread pudding to finish was perhaps some of the best bread pudding I've ever tasted. Just perfect taste proportion. Not too much hard sauce. Not to thick a pudding. Really thought out and presented.

While I wouldn't call it the best San Antonio has to offer by any stretch, Luke is a solid place for food. The dining room will keep me from going back again soon, as it's just depressing to me, but I can't knock the kitchen in any way, shape or form. They're really on their A game.

BN

Old 02-21-2011, 01:43 PM

490 posts, read 969,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas View Post
Luke, last night.
soon, as it's just depressing to me, but I can't knock the kitchen in any way, shape or form. They're really on their A game.

BN
I'm glad to hear it and will have to give it a second shot. I had bland fish and dining companion had just OK shrimp and grits, that said we had just eaten at Mr. B's in NOLA 4 days before..

Old 02-21-2011, 06:12 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,331,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pr57001 View Post
I'm glad to hear it and will have to give it a second shot. I had bland fish and dining companion had just OK shrimp and grits, that said we had just eaten at Mr. B's in NOLA 4 days before..
I adore Mr. B's. It's one of the few Brennan eateries left that consistently serves a great plate of food. Far too many 'name' restaurants in New Orleans that are resting on their laurels, offering service and food that both need heavy dusting off.

That being said, I'd suggest another visit to Luke mid-week. Let the kitchen have some breathing room to dazzle you and might I suggest sitting downstairs. Less noise issue, as sound travels out and up. I think the eatery as a whole needs some redesign. It looks too much like the Embassy Suites they're in.

BN

Old 02-21-2011, 07:39 PM

3 posts, read 8,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas View Post
Luke, last night.

The service is unfailingly polite. The design of the room is oddly sparse with absolutely horrible lighting... I could care less if florescent light is energy saving: When I'm paying money for a meal, I'd like to see it please. The meal itself was fantastic. We started with the meat pies, which could have used a slightly less hard shell on them and liver pate. Both turned out nicely.

.While I wouldn't call it the best San Antonio has to offer by any stretch, Luke is a solid place for food. The dining room will keep me from going back again soon, as it's just depressing to me, but I can't knock the kitchen in any way, shape or form. They're really on their A game.

BN
Ben, go back for Sunday lunch. The place is positively bright, light, and airy with all the windows. Nothing like you described for an evening meal.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:31 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,416,288 times
Carino's, 1604/Blanco. Absolutely terrible. Slow service, slow food. Over an hour and a half, and the place was about 10% full (plenty of staff). The food was not that great either. We had been several times before, and it was much better. Will scratch this one off the list.

Old 02-23-2011, 08:10 AM

1,414 posts, read 1,867,916 times
Complain on the Internet and you might be a gift coupon. I did after the waiter dropped the bottle of oil for the bread on my head. Not kidding!

Got a free dinner and more free meals. Of course, if you don't like them - that's a problem. Use it for take out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or