U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2011, 09:30 PM

7 posts, read 12,916 times

Advertisements

Some relatives came to visit this week. Tried out several restaurants for the fist time. Thought I'd share my experience.
- Sunday brunch at Little Gretel in Boerne. Charming little German restaurant. I had the jaeger schnitzel. I have been to several German restaurants in the area. They have the best schnitzel so far. The pancakes look good too. Will definitely go back again.
- Dinner at The Grill at Leon Springs. Everyone in our party thoroughly enjoyed their entree. Another keeper. My husband claimed its the best pork shank he'd ever had.
- And lastly Maggiano's. I am afraid to say its a dud. I love seafood linguini, and it is also my yard stick when trying Italian restaurants. Theirs is disappointing. Quantity yes, flavor no. Don't bother.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2011, 11:59 AM

172 posts, read 422,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebtx View Post
San Antonio FINALLY has an authentic Chinese restaurant. I hit Sichuan on Friday night and feasted on Dan Dan, sliced pig ear in hot chili oil, kung po duck tongues, whole tilapia in hot bean paste, ma po tofu, and crispy pig intestines w/ 3 chilies. I drug 94 & 06 spatlases to pair with the food and I was in Heaven. The staff was very friendly and the prices are very reasonable.

They also offer dishes for the less adventurous, but I can't vouch for them. Hot Pot is next on my list...

Sichuan Cuisine Restaurant San Antonio ?????
I'm itching to try this!

Old 04-21-2011, 12:15 PM

905 posts, read 1,392,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgito View Post
I'm itching to try this!
Very Nice Tip!!!
Thanks!!!!!

Old 04-21-2011, 08:09 PM

2,943 posts, read 4,450,377 times
I finally ate at Big Lou's Pizza. My wife wanted to go there after seeing it on the Travel Channel. I admit, I had low expectations, I figured it would follow the too often observed San Antonio trend of quantity over quality considering they are famous for their huge pizzas. I was pleasantly surprised, the pizza was very good. The dough had a nice flavor to it and the tomato sauce tasted freshly homemade, not from a can. I'd recommend it and will definitely go back again.

Old 04-21-2011, 09:20 PM

2,790 posts, read 5,277,617 times
Is this over off of W.W.White rd?

Old 04-22-2011, 12:29 AM

2,943 posts, read 4,450,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountryHotRodMan View Post
Is this over off of W.W.White rd?
Yep, that's the one.

Old 04-22-2011, 01:12 AM

3,770 posts, read 6,659,654 times
I ate at Thai Chili on 1000 Oaks... was very good!

Old 04-22-2011, 03:19 AM

945 posts, read 1,616,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
I ate at Thai Chili on 1000 Oaks... was very good!
Love their summer rolls with the peanut sauce, the phad thai and phad se ew are awesome. Oh and the thai beef jerky is great too.

Old 04-22-2011, 04:28 AM

13,806 posts, read 26,695,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
I finally ate at Big Lou's Pizza. My wife wanted to go there after seeing it on the Travel Channel. I admit, I had low expectations, I figured it would follow the too often observed San Antonio trend of quantity over quality considering they are famous for their huge pizzas. I was pleasantly surprised, the pizza was very good. The dough had a nice flavor to it and the tomato sauce tasted freshly homemade, not from a can. I'd recommend it and will definitely go back again.
I think Adam (Richman) has pretty good taste. My brother and I went to Munchies 420 Cafe in Sarasota a couple weeks ago because I saw it featured on MVF. We had pretty low expectations too and I was actually only there to get some t-shirts, but the Fat Daddy was actually really good. So good that my brother somehow ate the whole thing (minus the two bites I had) in about 14 minutes. I was just amazed at how good it actually tasted. The fried Twinkie wasn't so tasty, though...

Old 04-22-2011, 09:12 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,396,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
I think Adam (Richman) has pretty good taste. My brother and I went to Munchies 420 Cafe in Sarasota a couple weeks ago because I saw it featured on MVF. We had pretty low expectations too and I was actually only there to get some t-shirts, but the Fat Daddy was actually really good. So good that my brother somehow ate the whole thing (minus the two bites I had) in about 14 minutes. I was just amazed at how good it actually tasted. The fried Twinkie wasn't so tasty, though...
Richman's show, to be honest, isn't about him having good taste: It's about him eating loads of food that is usually high in fat, fried content and is just plain gluttonous. I wouldn't take his reco on an eatery as something all that incredible. That being said, I've watched MvF. It's entertaining in a train wreck kind of way. Really, I just wanted to voice that it wasn't likely a clearinghouse for finding the great new American restaurant.

BN
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or