U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2011, 04:07 PM

13,806 posts, read 26,381,732 times

Advertisements

I like the slow and steady model myself. We went there on a Sunday morning right at opening time and got right in and had our food almost too fast. Pizza was great, but I don't think the oven was hot enough because it was warm at best. It did get packed pretty quick, though, and I can imagine the wait can get pretty bad later in the day. Mama Lee's followed this same model and it worked great for them. Maybe the owner is short on capital and can't afford to expand right away. I'm also guessing he wasn't expecting to become a national sensation (thanks to Guy) when he was thinking up the place. That show is what got us in there.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2011, 08:23 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,081,748 times
My Dentist is in that big building next to that strip mall where DOUGH is. I just wanted a pizza to go after all the numbing and pain. It was real crowded and I didn't know what to order. I tried to hide but they found me. I ordered a pizza but I don't know what it was..They pulled me out and put me on this row of people like me. TO GO PEOPLE!! Man! Was I Glad to get out of there!

Old 06-07-2011, 12:27 PM

2,216 posts, read 4,000,960 times
Two places recently:

La Gloria - went after dark so it was cool enough to eat outside. Food was very good but don't go there hungry. Portions are small and unlike "tex mex" sides do not come with the meal. Just expect it to be different. Personally I really enjoyed it and will go back. Hubby liked it but knows he will have to order more in order to fill up.

Panera Bread - so nice to finally get a decent clam chowder bread bowl!! Sandwhiches are awesome too. We went three times last week to the new one. On the third time the manager loaded us up with some freebies from the bakery.

Old 06-07-2011, 02:41 PM

1,848 posts, read 4,207,211 times
Bohanan's.

Old 06-07-2011, 03:23 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,346,012 times
Mama: I agree. Personally, I don't know how La Gloria gets all the attention it does, as the concept is totally off-base (it's NOT street food at all), expensive for what it is and very small portions overall. I also don't like that every time I've been, they have a serious fly problem. Not fun.

That being said, it's good to have something new in the Pearl area and I look forward to seeing more expansion.

BN

Old 06-07-2011, 04:34 PM

2,216 posts, read 4,000,960 times
This was our first time out to the Pearl area. I was thrilled when I saw a place to get oysters, The SandBar....until I saw the prices on the menu. Now, not so thrilled.

Old 06-08-2011, 08:09 AM

915 posts, read 1,665,251 times
Seafood is expensive and SandBar is the best seafood restaurant in town.

If you want plain gulf oysters head to Luke or Pappadoughs (sp) for happy hour.

Old 06-08-2011, 08:13 AM

915 posts, read 1,665,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
I like the slow and steady model myself. We went there on a Sunday morning right at opening time and got right in and had our food almost too fast. Pizza was great, but I don't think the oven was hot enough because it was warm at best. It did get packed pretty quick, though, and I can imagine the wait can get pretty bad later in the day. Mama Lee's followed this same model and it worked great for them. Maybe the owner is short on capital and can't afford to expand right away. I'm also guessing he wasn't expecting to become a national sensation (thanks to Guy) when he was thinking up the place. That show is what got us in there.
Dough was jammed long before Guy.

Old 06-09-2011, 01:14 PM

411 posts, read 556,481 times
El Ceviche de Waldito- a great little hole in the wall serving Peruvian and caribean food (not at all like the tex-mex that is everywhere in SA). They have a reasonably priced lunch buffet that will give you a sample of the cuisine.
They're in a strip center on Evers between Wurzbach and 410 (next to Thai Taste)

Old 06-09-2011, 01:25 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,085,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwangle View Post
My Dentist is in that big building next to that strip mall where DOUGH is. I just wanted a pizza to go after all the numbing and pain. It was real crowded and I didn't know what to order. I tried to hide but they found me. I ordered a pizza but I don't know what it was..They pulled me out and put me on this row of people like me. TO GO PEOPLE!! Man! Was I Glad to get out of there!
tried dough with trepidation based on some of the complaints. Was told it would be a 45-minute wait, but was seated within 15 minutes. Staff was very friendly and attentive. Cheese apps were to die for. Enjoyed the place very much and will return. Only complaint -- the prices. But, the food is fresh and that will cost $$.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or