U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2011, 10:30 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,624,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul56 View Post
Hmm, I would suspect MSG.

Last time I ate food with MSG I also had a huge headache.
PANDA EXPRESS does not add MSG, it's one of their selling points. However, the sealed sauce packets may, check the labels. Some of their dishes are a little bland, but I have never had a problem with the quality of the ingredients.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 10:56 AM

418 posts, read 702,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbrocks View Post
PANDA EXPRESS does not add MSG, it's one of their selling points. However, the sealed sauce packets may, check the labels. Some of their dishes are a little bland, but I have never had a problem with the quality of the ingredients.
How do we know for certain they do not?

As well, they are speaking like politicians with "we do not add"... what if the ingredients or products they use already have MSG? ...wording is key.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:18 AM

574 posts, read 1,186,411 times
Does your food contain MSG?
Panda Express does not add MSG to any of our entrees or sides and we do not purchase products from suppliers who add MSG. However, glutamate is found naturally in some ingredients. Please visit our Nutritional Information page.

Panda Express: Chinese Food, Wok-Cooked and Served Fast (http://www.pandaexpress.com/contact/ - broken link)

MSG fears tickle me. People complain about it in Chinese food, yet eat it more often than they probably think. Other cultures readily use MSG in their cuisines...Puerto Rican, Mexican, Korean, Thai, and even American (gasp!). A ton of processed foods have MSG in them, most people blindly eat these and never look to see that they are indeed consuming MSG.

If you think MSG is dangerous and bad for your health, then by all means avoid it at all costs. Picking on Chinese takeout is probably the least of people's concerns when it comes to their intake of MSG.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:25 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,624,358 times
I have a slight msg sensitivity, and it has never been triggered by anything at PANDA EXPRESS. Nuff said.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:17 PM

4,103 posts, read 6,196,757 times
Pei Wei on Potranco. It was good.

Old 07-26-2011, 09:25 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,399,756 times
Sushi Zushi, delivery, Downtown location.

Their new Downtown-only online ordering system is so f'ed up that I ended up canceling the whole thing and ordering from elsewhere. I am tech compliant and can't imagine why they decided to only make the downtown delivery location use this particular system. It's idiotic and a waste of time.

Buyer beware.

BN

Old 07-26-2011, 10:28 PM

580 posts, read 1,299,868 times
By some strange coincidence, the lady and I went to two restaurants this past weekend that were featured on "Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives" (or whatever that show is--I've never seen it.)

First was Moroccan Bites. What a great place! Super amazing service. (They literally wouldn't let us leave until we drank some of their mint tea, which they provided for free.) And the server was amazingly helpful with suggestions and information. We had a vegetable tagine, "hummus" (very, very different from Middle Eastern hummus--but excellent), lentils, and some kind of tasty eggplant dish, along with saffron rice and Moroccan bread. I could pass on the bread, but everything else was great. And it was truly a really cool vibe in there. The only bad thing was the check-out: everyone seemed to pay separately, even for large parties, so the line was a bit out of control.

The next night we went to Dough. I've had it before, and I liked it. The wait, however, was INSANE!!! Huge lines and well over an hour. (We got there at about 6:30 on a Saturday evening.) It wasn't a great trip, though, because our pizzas arrived immediately after my girlfriend headed to the bathroom, where she waited in line for ten minutes. It was quite nice, however, when the manager saw me waiting, came over, and suggested that they bring us entirely new pizzas as he was worried that the crust would be a bit soggy by the time my girlfriend returned. I refused, as we were famished, but the crust was, indeed, a bit soggy. Still very tasty, however. (I do prefer the Il Sogno pizzas, but Dough is excellent for this style.)

And we went to Green on Sunday. Good, as it usually is. And it's always nice to be in a San Antonio restaurant that has a good mix of people: orthodox Jews, South Asians, lesbian couples, punk rock kids, and everyone else. Viva la diversity!

Old 07-27-2011, 09:41 AM

418 posts, read 702,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadlockd View Post
Does your food contain MSG?
Panda Express does not add MSG to any of our entrees or sides and we do not purchase products from suppliers who add MSG. However, glutamate is found naturally in some ingredients. Please visit our Nutritional Information page.

Panda Express: Chinese Food, Wok-Cooked and Served Fast (http://www.pandaexpress.com/contact/ - broken link)
Unfortunately, I'm not buying the marketing hype on any web site as the gospel truth... particularly a restaurant.

Old 07-27-2011, 09:49 PM

3,785 posts, read 6,673,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneOf48 View Post
By some strange coincidence, the lady and I went to two restaurants this past weekend that were featured on "Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives" (or whatever that show is--I've never seen it.)

First was Moroccan Bites. What a great place! Super amazing service. (They literally wouldn't let us leave until we drank some of their mint tea, which they provided for free.) And the server was amazingly helpful with suggestions and information. We had a vegetable tagine, "hummus" (very, very different from Middle Eastern hummus--but excellent), lentils, and some kind of tasty eggplant dish, along with saffron rice and Moroccan bread. I could pass on the bread, but everything else was great. And it was truly a really cool vibe in there. The only bad thing was the check-out: everyone seemed to pay separately, even for large parties, so the line was a bit out of control.

The next night we went to Dough. I've had it before, and I liked it. The wait, however, was INSANE!!! Huge lines and well over an hour. (We got there at about 6:30 on a Saturday evening.) It wasn't a great trip, though, because our pizzas arrived immediately after my girlfriend headed to the bathroom, where she waited in line for ten minutes. It was quite nice, however, when the manager saw me waiting, came over, and suggested that they bring us entirely new pizzas as he was worried that the crust would be a bit soggy by the time my girlfriend returned. I refused, as we were famished, but the crust was, indeed, a bit soggy. Still very tasty, however. (I do prefer the Il Sogno pizzas, but Dough is excellent for this style.)

And we went to Green on Sunday. Good, as it usually is. And it's always nice to be in a San Antonio restaurant that has a good mix of people: orthodox Jews, South Asians, lesbian couples, punk rock kids, and everyone else. Viva la diversity!
Moroccan Bites is delicious!

Old 07-27-2011, 10:49 PM

574 posts, read 1,186,411 times
Okay Paul...lol.

Happy eating
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or