Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2012, 09:43 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,985,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pobre View Post
Gristmill in Gruene...yummy onion rings, mashed potatoes heavenly. Chopped steak very beefy, a bit too much cheese, but delicious nonetheless.
Avoid this place during the summer, the last time we went there was no a/c and we sweat our butts off! It was not a pleasant experience!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 02:42 PM

915 posts, read 1,903,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggeorgie View Post
The portabella mushroom burger at the Cove is outstanding. They do have an awesome beer selection as well.

I do agree their regular burgers are average and nothing too special...
lamb burger is good, but I wouldn't go there for a beef burger. the rest of the menu is solid for lunch. nothing is out of this world, but most is sourced locally and prepared well.

Last edited by jwebtx; 01-09-2012 at 03:33 PM..

Old 01-09-2012, 03:01 PM

166 posts, read 571,383 times
Oolong Chinese Bistro in Helotes. Awesome food!!

Old 01-09-2012, 05:02 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,820,492 times
Thai Lao Orchid, Downtown location.

They already know what I want when I sit down and the food continues to be authentic, piping hot and served with a smile. I will say that prices are a bit on the higher side for Thai, but I'm sure the downtown location is costing them a pretty penny. It's a small price to pay to have a Thai eatery downtown.

BN

Old 01-09-2012, 07:48 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,818,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOriginalMrsX View Post
You know my husband told me the same thing! I saw it on Dinners, Drives and Dives and he told me Oh I went there for lunch and it wasn't that great. Then we drove by it last week and I was tempted to ask him to have lunch there but it was packed. I was surprised. I guess people either love it or think nothing of it.

I did eat at Big Lou's and the huge cinnamon bun dinner place. At both I enjoyed my meals and would go back again.
Yeah one of those places frequented by a few who build it up to more than it is. Word spreads and voila. Soup was bland and sandwiches mediocre at best. It has added much since last time i was there a few years back. Playground, veggie/herb garden, covered party areas, side seating and outdoor fireplace and such ...
Big Lou's.. stopped and had chicken fried steak etc while on the way to take sons to the airport couple years back. Meat was vein-y and the big cinnamon rolls the boys bought two. One was picked at a little and the other went in the freezer. It remained untouched until we finally tossed it. It was just a novelty.
While here for the Holidays the boys went to Pat O'Brien's for alligator bites and Schilo's for bread pudding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggeorgie View Post
The portabella mushroom burger at the Cove is outstanding. They do have an awesome beer selection as well.

I do agree their regular burgers are average and nothing too special...
I still think they're a better beer joint than eatery! Though not that good a beer joint. Atmospherically at least! Reminds me of the bar in "Dusk to Dawn" without Selma Hayek....

Old 01-09-2012, 08:43 PM

123 posts, read 258,018 times
We ate at Hungry Farmer tonight. My chicken fried steak and fries were pretty good. Hubby had a bacon wrapped tenderloin which was tasty and cooked to perfection. I was not impressed with the salad dressings.

Old 01-10-2012, 10:31 AM

915 posts, read 1,903,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas View Post
Thai Lao Orchid, Downtown location.

They already know what I want when I sit down and the food continues to be authentic, piping hot and served with a smile. I will say that prices are a bit on the higher side for Thai, but I'm sure the downtown location is costing them a pretty penny. It's a small price to pay to have a Thai eatery downtown.

BN
I hit the location near my office to try their Pho based (I believe) on your recommendation. The broth and noodles were good, but the inclusion of their regular "beef or chicken" meat from their lunch specials was lame. They need to add real Pho meat selections and they would easily be one of the best in town. On the Thai side, I went the day before and their Pad See Ew was the best I have had in SA. Overall they are a winner.

Old 01-10-2012, 12:47 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,820,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebtx View Post
i hit the location near my office to try their pho based (i believe) on your recommendation. The broth and noodles were good, but the inclusion of their regular "beef or chicken" meat from their lunch specials was lame. They need to add real pho meat selections and they would easily be one of the best in town. On the thai side, i went the day before and their pad see ew was the best i have had in sa. Overall they are a winner.

woohoo!

bn

Old 01-10-2012, 02:34 PM

580 posts, read 1,429,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas View Post
woohoo!

bn
Is their location in Alamo Heights still open?

Old 01-10-2012, 07:53 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,432,752 times
Had Heartstone at the Fourm, good sandwich and soup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio