Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2012, 08:18 AM

545 posts, read 1,061,470 times

Advertisements

Tried J. Anthony's off 410 and Culebra yesterday. I was actually quite shocked at the options, I kind of went in expecting a Long John Silvers knock off. I got grilled fish, shrimp, and veggies and while everything had butter on it it felt reasonably healthy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 08:36 AM

246 posts, read 433,450 times
Capparelli's on Main for a take-out pizza. Very good, lots of cheese. Got the large and feed 3 with leftovers for today's lunch. Economical. Love Capparelli's but usually dine in.

Old 01-20-2012, 09:06 AM

208 posts, read 382,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macbillybob View Post
Capparelli's on Main for a take-out pizza. Very good, lots of cheese. Got the large and feed 3 with leftovers for today's lunch. Economical. Love Capparelli's but usually dine in.
gotta tell ya....christmas eve i'm stopping off at the catholic store on evers to get something for a church member . it's going to be a half hour drive to the Stahl rd side of town so i decide to pick something up for a road trip lunch . i see the crack in the box there at the light and happened to see the capparellis to my left (evers) . ''hell yeah'' i proclaim as i veer from the middle lane across the right lane and into the parking space .

i was pretty psyched when i walked in and saw it was a real 'hole in the wall' joint complete with beat up vent system behind the register . place is no bigger than a walk in closet, i thought i was home . ''home made dough'' is advertised so i order a cold slice; k, they don't have any ready so i order a small pie with just extra cheese .

walked out 15 minutes later, placed the pie on the passenger seat and had my first slice of what i hoped would be a new relationship.....nope .

bland lightly baked dough with typical overly sweet texas red sauce (must be growing up with all that bbq sauce) and cheese that just laid there, wasn't even rubbery . rollerskating rink pizza is what it was .

my city tour of pizza didn't start off well . made up for it over at 46th st. new york style pizza off of dezavala . their rolls are funky but the cold slices were good .

Old 01-20-2012, 10:06 AM

282 posts, read 472,003 times
First time eating at a Pappadeaux (on 410) last night. It was really good. The salmon was one of the best I've had. Definitely going back.

Old 01-20-2012, 11:09 AM

580 posts, read 1,429,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macbillybob View Post
I hate message board negativity, but I have to say that Capparelli's was some of the worst pizza I've ever eaten. Maybe it was a bad day or a new chef or something. Undercooked, little sauce (or sauce that tasted like nothing), way too much white white white cheese, and over-buttery crust. I could barely eat it.

Really, I like almost ALL pizza--even HEB frozen! So for me not to like it, something must've been strange.

I'll stick with Sorrento's, Il Sogno, and Dough. I also just had Grimaldi's, and it was pretty good, too. Now, to find some good Chicago-style in this city. . . . (Mangia's up in Austin is a pretty good approximation.)

Old 01-20-2012, 12:34 PM

3,468 posts, read 8,553,358 times
Went to the "soft opening" of the new Big'z Burger Joint on 151. That place is gonna be amazing!! Super huge inside, the Party Barn is nearly complete and looks great, and the play field is huge!!! Our burgers were really good, but seeing as the staff had only trained for 2 short days, they were really slow. I have confidence that they'll get faster with some experience (hence the soft opening, I'm sure). Employees were very friendly, enthusiastic, and seemed to really WANT to do a good job. They told us that they should open for normal hours sometime early next week. Soooooooo happy to have them in our 'hood!

Old 01-20-2012, 12:53 PM

268 posts, read 593,748 times
Grant St. Pizza and Subs

Grant St. Pizza & Subs

Have lived in he area 15 years and finally decided to have lunch there today. I had the steak sub -- toasted bun, fully loaded -- meat, onion and peppers all cooked perfectly on the griddle. All ingredients tasted like they were cooked separately so each retained their own full flavor. The grilling job on them were spot on caramelizing perfectly. All topped by mozzarella nicely melted. Need I say more.

I also ordered a slice of pepperoni pizza to try it out. Thin crusted with a thicker edge. The slice was crispy except for the tip area, which usually gets a little wet. Although the pizza was just ok, the sauce needed a bit more "herbage" (oregano, etc.). I think the chef may be playing it too safe on the sauce for customer tastes, however, a bit more aggressiveness would work.

Needless to say, with so much food ordered, I was not able finish all of it. I recommend a visit.

Old 01-20-2012, 12:58 PM

1,803 posts, read 2,623,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getgoing2010 View Post
Grant St. Pizza and Subs

Grant St. Pizza & Subs

Have lived in he area 15 years and finally decided to have lunch there today. I had the steak sub -- toasted bun, fully loaded -- meat, onion and peppers all cooked perfectly on the griddle. All ingredients tasted like they were cooked separately so each retained their own full flavor. The grilling job on them were spot on caramelizing perfectly. All topped by mozzarella nicely melted. Need I say more.

I also ordered a slice of pepperoni pizza to try it out. Thin crusted with a thicker edge. The slice was crispy except for the tip area, which usually gets a little wet. Although the pizza was just ok, the sauce needed a bit more "herbage" (oregano, etc.). I think the chef may be playing it too safe on the sauce for customer tastes, however, a bit more aggressiveness would work.

Needless to say, with so much food ordered, I was not able finish all of it. I recommend a visit.
GRRR. if this place wasnt so far away, thats where i would be heading for lunch.

Old 01-20-2012, 02:33 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,385,160 times
Tai (not Thai) Sun on SW Military for lunch today. The hot and sour soup was very good, but the rest of the food was pretty blah. I had twice cooked pork or something like that, which had a pepper by its name on the menu, but it was not spicy at all. Strange too, because the soup had a couple of parts that instantly watered my eyes.

Old 01-20-2012, 09:55 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,432,042 times
After a disaster last week at Deco pizza, wanted to try something good pizza. Went to Volare Pizza on Broadway, and it was great, awesome pizza and very very friendly service. I will be going back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio