U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2012, 08:26 AM

545 posts, read 908,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
Where is this place located? how are you the prices?
If you exit Culebra on 410 and head west, it's just passed the second stop light in the middle of a strip mall (behind a drug store).

Prices are a little all over the place. Sometimes they'll have a really good lunch special running for ~$10, sometimes it's $18. We got a couple of the cheaper entrees, two iced teas, and were out the door at ~$25 with a decent tip.

I'd caution against anything with duck in it, though. They're making a lot of duck confit (that's where you cook it and then cure it in its own fat) and using it in everything.... even in dishes where I think they ought to be using fresher meat. Nothing wrong with it, but it's akin to someone using beef jerky in fajitas.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2012, 12:49 PM

486 posts, read 869,934 times
Pei Wei on Lincoln Heights (Alamo Heights). Got a coupon for a free Thai Basil Chicken and my wife had the Pad Thai. Really liked the Basil Chicken and Pad Thai is our favorite dish, so no complaints at all. Like it much better than PF Changs, at a fraction of the cost and more down to earth atmosphere.

Old 02-08-2012, 01:16 PM

155 posts, read 244,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amexicano View Post
Pei Wei on Lincoln Heights (Alamo Heights). Got a coupon for a free Thai Basil Chicken and my wife had the Pad Thai. Really liked the Basil Chicken and Pad Thai is our favorite dish, so no complaints at all. Like it much better than PF Changs, at a fraction of the cost and more down to earth atmosphere.
You know they're owned by PF Chang's though, right?

Old 02-08-2012, 01:49 PM

IHOP at 410 & Bandera. Tried to charge me for things I didn't order and had to go chasing after them for the sides. Unfortunately this is usual experience here - I think the management is telling everyone to try and cheat the customers every way they can. Wouldn't step foot into this place without a coupon.

Old 02-08-2012, 02:44 PM

486 posts, read 869,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badalchemist View Post
You know they're owned by PF Chang's though, right?
Absolutely. That's what make things ironic. PF Chang's is their "upscale" chain, however, I usually find Pei Wei to have better dishes despite lower prices and prefer their umpretentious atmosphere.

Old 02-08-2012, 05:22 PM

2,355 posts, read 5,410,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebtx View Post
Thanks i must have a crappy computer could not see the location, I will research it more. Thanks for the link.

Old 02-09-2012, 12:31 PM

Malibu Shack on Bandera and 410.

Overall okay.

Fried shrimp had a stronger fish taste than I like but the fries and burger were good. The ordering set up is extraordinarily weird.... some girl that's probably the owner's daughter sits on a stool up front and you tell her what you want, she writes it down, then you go find a table. A waiter comes up and then goes over the ticket with you and then takes it to the kitchen. Uhm.. k. She kept telling me to go sit on a bench to look over the menu even though there was no one behind me in line. And don't you dare give her your drink order, that's for the waiter! Pushy pushy, girl.

A little TV at every table but thankfully the "off" buttons are functional. It's almost as if they want you to sit around and drink beer, but you're not allowed to order or see a menu once you get a table. I can't imagine this system is going to last much longer, and certainly ranks up there as the stupidest restaurant idea I've encountered lately.

Not much in the way of seafood and they need to replace that oil more frequently but I'll come back in a few months...

Old 02-09-2012, 08:37 PM

3,657 posts, read 6,469,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanValdez View Post
Malibu Shack on Bandera and 410.

Overall okay.

Fried shrimp had a stronger fish taste than I like but the fries and burger were good. The ordering set up is extraordinarily weird.... some girl that's probably the owner's daughter sits on a stool up front and you tell her what you want, she writes it down, then you go find a table. A waiter comes up and then goes over the ticket with you and then takes it to the kitchen. Uhm.. k. She kept telling me to go sit on a bench to look over the menu even though there was no one behind me in line. And don't you dare give her your drink order, that's for the waiter! Pushy pushy, girl.

A little TV at every table but thankfully the "off" buttons are functional. It's almost as if they want you to sit around and drink beer, but you're not allowed to order or see a menu once you get a table. I can't imagine this system is going to last much longer, and certainly ranks up there as the stupidest restaurant idea I've encountered lately.

Not much in the way of seafood and they need to replace that oil more frequently but I'll come back in a few months...
Totally agree... the ordering was uncomfortable

Old 02-09-2012, 08:38 PM

2,355 posts, read 5,410,211 times
Was downtown and went to a place on Fred Rd called Yeli's tacos, they had a great $4.99 lunch special with tea. It was 2 pork chops, rice, beans and tortillas, it was delish recommend this little hole in the wall.

Old 02-09-2012, 09:32 PM

4,274 posts, read 6,638,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
Was downtown and went to a place on Fred Rd called Yeli's tacos, they had a great $4.99 lunch special with tea. It was 2 pork chops, rice, beans and tortillas, it was delish recommend this little hole in the wall.
The roof looks like a sombrero!

Yeli's Tacos - Google Maps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or