U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2012, 07:14 AM

1,512 posts, read 2,615,625 times

Advertisements

So...Alamo Springs Cafe (Fredericksburg/Comfort/Middle of Nowhere):

Excellent burger! I got the "Cover Burger" (featured on the front cover of a 2009 Texas Monthly). Very tasty--after half of it was gone, I ended up "knife-and-forking" it since it started to fall apart and get pretty messy. My gf and mom both got salads and were really pleased with the size and quality of the dishes. Appetizers consisted of fried mushrooms (a little on the greasy side but fairly good) and we also added a half-order of onion rings (greasy as well).

The place was hoppin' but our order was on the table within 30 minutes. We sat outside since there was no room in the inn, but the weather was terrific so no issues at all. The staff is VERY friendly, quick and responsive. Overall, I'd give this place a 8 out of 10.

--Dim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 09:34 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,422,840 times
Had golden chick for lunch today, it was awesome.

Old 03-21-2012, 02:23 AM

7,629 posts, read 14,379,886 times
Went to Spankys Burger Joint today for lunch with son....it was REALLY good.

Nice little hole in the wall, but the music was a tad too loud...difficult to talk over it. I like to be able to enjoy a little conversation with my meal and those I am spending time with vs eating and leaving because you can't hear each other. Other than that...great place.

Old 03-21-2012, 11:26 AM

51 posts, read 158,845 times
in regards to Spanky's - i love this place, they have the best homemade tortilla chips and queso!

Old 03-21-2012, 11:38 AM

580 posts, read 1,279,643 times
Had dinner at Feast last night with my folks, who are visiting from Chicago. The food was really good, although the place was noisy, as per usual. (My parents said that the celery bisque was the best soup that they've ever had, and they've been everywhere.) Service was good, too, and it was a pretty stylish crowd, at least for San Antonio. The place was pretty packed--good to see that it continues to do well.

Old 03-21-2012, 12:41 PM

915 posts, read 1,662,611 times
Ost Bandera - Mediocre service and food. Waitress never came back after delivering our plates. Too bad, or she would have known I wanted hot sauce to combat my bland chicken dish.

Mill Creek Cafe Leakey, TX- We were there for their Friday night catfish buffet (not by plan) and it was acceptable for the location. The catfish was prepared 3 ways and country style sides were plentiful. Fish was much better than the sides.

Old 03-21-2012, 06:22 PM

330 posts, read 502,578 times
Friendly Spot for sangria and snacking. Sangria was perfect, and the ceviche and pork street tacos were pretty darn good.

Old 03-21-2012, 06:32 PM

581 posts, read 1,039,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionallyBlank View Post
Friendly Spot for sangria and snacking. Sangria was perfect, and the ceviche and pork street tacos were pretty darn good.

Hey.. I was there today too. Didn't have sangria but did have Ranger IPA with some chips and guacamole that I shared with my pooch, sans guacamole. So good.

Anyways, ate and Hong Fongs the other day. Not too impressed. Service was horrible and food was blah. We went to Viet Nam, also on Broadway, and it was good but it was a pain to find parking. So, I'm now looking for a good chinese/japanese/ or should I say good Asian fare, restaurant around the SAC area to Broadway, to go with my Mom, if anyone has any suggestions.

Last edited by tortuga29; 03-21-2012 at 07:00 PM..

Old 03-21-2012, 06:38 PM

487 posts, read 981,275 times
Had lunch yesterday at the new 54th street grill & bar located in the Stone Creek shopping center @ 281 & Stone Oak Pkwy. All three of us had a different type of chicken salad. All were generous in size & chicken and very tasty. Service was good but our waitress could barely speak English which became tedious when she had to keep going to the back to ask someone what I meant.
She tried hard but should have been given a different job until her English improved.
We will definitely go back for another visit.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:00 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,422,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soccermom2 View Post
in regards to Spanky's - i love this place, they have the best homemade tortilla chips and queso!
Where is spanky's?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or