U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2013, 02:41 PM

2,216 posts, read 4,053,288 times

Advertisements

They are putting a Captain Bens on Potranco by Golds Gym. Hoping it's good
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2013, 04:43 PM

161 posts, read 290,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatotex97 View Post
They are putting a Captain Bens on Potranco by Golds Gym. Hoping it's good
There's one near Brooks City Base which is decent, but the portions are small compared to Sea Island. Not worth the price in my opinion and I've been three times.

To be more specific, the Po Boys sandwiches barely have enough seafood to taste compared to the massive french roll. A bowl of gumbo soup has just enough shrimp to be considered "seafood". I'm not a snobby eater either, and I'm down to try just about anything, but Captain Ben's has been a big disappointment because the potential for quality seafood immediately near BCB is something I've been hoping for during lunch.

Old 02-10-2013, 10:15 PM

2,359 posts, read 5,524,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Forest View Post
Yep, that's the place. WTH was I thinkin'
I went there on friday, the fish is really good.

Old 02-11-2013, 10:19 AM

216 posts, read 329,112 times
I went to Cheddars, IH 10 and UTSA Blvd. for the first time yesterday, hadn't had a steak in a while so I ordered the 13 oz sirloin I think it was, asked for medium rare. We were about 1/3 the way into some pretty good and very reasonably priced Margaritas when they brought out our order. My friend had ordered shrimp and it looked wonderful fried to a beautiful golden brown my steak however left a lot to be desired. It was about a 5 x 9 inch piece of meat but only about 3/8's of an inch thick and not a trace of even pink much less red. The waitress apologized and offered to take it back but I hate to be wasteful of food so I kept it. I did tell her in the future she she warn her customers that the meat is sliced extremely thin when they order steak. I would much rather have half the surface area and double the thickness. I did thoroughly enjoy my baked potato, the coleslaw was as good as I've had anywhere and as I mentioned the Margaritas were big and tasty and a really good price. I'll go back but not for the steak.

Old 02-11-2013, 11:31 AM

22 posts, read 23,407 times
Umberto's Italian on Culebra...hope they get more customers in a questionable location that other restaurants have failed. The food and service are both good. Go.

Old 02-11-2013, 01:25 PM

293 posts, read 332,727 times
I also went to cheddars. love the shepards pie with added cheese, but also did try the steak, it came out grey, sent it back came back real small and almost burnt so manager comped meal. Love longhorns outlaw ribeye cooked on the flattop as a cheap meal.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:12 PM

471 posts, read 932,165 times
Taco Haven (Southtown) Sunday,... very crowded for my taste(wasn't always like that),...not a long wait,...I ordered Small bowl menudo and a barbacoa taco,..both very good,...service was friendly, but slow,...

Old 02-11-2013, 07:54 PM

47 posts, read 69,496 times
Default Furrs Buffet

Ok! I went to Furr's Buffet on the Southside with my mate. Just down from Freddy's and Red Lobster and all those other aweful places. Furr's is a lot like Hometown Buffet before they skipped town and stiffed all their workers (Maybe not..I don't know). I thought it was very good. I am not hard to please but they were really there for me. We had a very good time. I saw a woman with a chicken fried steak and mashed potatoes! Maybe I shouldn't have gotten the Fish and cole slaw!

Old 02-11-2013, 08:16 PM

358 posts, read 732,044 times
We ate at Cheddar's a while back and I ordered the CFS. On the menu, it said it was "fork tender". Well, it wan't even close to being fork tender and was barely knife tender. Was quite gristly. I mentioned this to the waitress, who brought the ass't mgr over, who then proceeded to tell me that menu did NOT say "fork tender". OH REALLY? He went and got a menu to prove his point and...oops, guess it does say "fork tender". Then he started making excuses, so I sent him away and asked for the GM, who came over, apologized and comped us. I haven't been back and probably won't, even though I love their croissants. I've heard they removed "fork tender" from the menu. That's real good...keep serving gristly CFS and remove the "fork tender" description from your menu..instead of doing it the other way around.

Old 02-12-2013, 09:16 AM

545 posts, read 927,585 times
Not sure I'd go to Cheddar's and order a steak... but their other food is okay.... and they've got it on the menu...

That being said, how the heck do you get a "fork tender" chicken fried steak? Soak it in butter after you cook it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or