U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2013, 11:08 AM

1,877 posts, read 2,303,717 times

Advertisements

Sounds like another place has gotten too big for their britches. Can't stand these establishments that think they are so legendary that they start selling self-promoting t-shirts and trinkets instead of the good food and service that made them famous to begin with.
Went thru the drive thru at Raising Caine's chicken on Bandera rd. and they had a third of their menu set aside for t-shirts and mugs. Crazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2013, 02:20 PM

3,902 posts, read 4,874,990 times
Mi Tierra... I am a native of SA., but moved away many years ago. I like and eat at the many other Mexican Restaurants that have really good food but I have to keep going back to Mi Tierra every now and then.

Old 02-18-2013, 05:02 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,330,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanValdez View Post
Blue Star Brewing Company. Place has had their concept changed again. Chalkboards are gone and everything has been painted off white. Menu has virtually nothing on it now and their tiny take home bottles of beer are pathetic. You know something sad is taking place when the coolers previously full of gallons of beer are now full of t-shirts. Grousing aside, what we ordered was EXCELLENT. Shame the BBQ and the understanding that people come to a brewery for beer are a thing of the past.
Amen. BSBC has had this new chef and menu for nearly a year now and I hate it.

Yes, HATE. Strong word I admit, but I used to really enjoy BSBC. Now it's just poorly wait-staffed and they almost constantly run out of menu items.

They've always sold the shirts: Joey (the owner, as well as owner of Joe Blues and Joey's) is shameless in his attempt to make a profit by any means possible. I think it's tacky.

As for Raising Canes, is there really a market for fast-food merch like that? Who wears this stuff?

BN

Old 02-18-2013, 05:30 PM

166 posts, read 524,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas View Post
Who wears this stuff?

BN

Rednecks!! Banjos blasting in the background.

Old 02-18-2013, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadStreet/PattisonAve View Post
Rednecks!! Banjos blasting in the background.
Hey, now banjo playing isn't just limited to rednecks...

Kermit The Frog played a pretty mean banjo in Muppets Take Manhattan, so I gotta give some well-deserved love to that stringed instrument.

Perhaps we can pick on the mouth-harp? Playing the spoons? A washboard?

BN

Old 02-19-2013, 10:40 PM

2,355 posts, read 5,404,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightHawk877 View Post
Never been there. What would you recommend?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747
Yes I liked it good dogs and good onion rings, very friendly service.

Old 02-20-2013, 02:03 AM

944 posts, read 1,578,445 times
Bobby Js western burger for the win

Old 02-20-2013, 06:06 AM

2,097 posts, read 1,820,500 times
Henry's Puffy Tacos. I've lived in the SA area for almost three years now, and have never been. Had a friend come through from out of town, and wanted to hit somewhere unique to SA. It was okay, but nothing overly stellar. Just sort of run of the mill Tex-Mex.

Old 02-20-2013, 09:01 PM

Halcyon in Southtown (Blue Star Arts Complex)

It's been open a little over two weeks and while the service is still figuring things out, the 7am-2am daily hours, open floorplan, relaxed vibe and great liquor/food menu make this a fantastic new morning, lunch and latenight spot.

Had their Cubano panini. Delicious. Side salad came with a maple vinaigrette. Also delicious. Speedy and free wifi. Great coffee drinks and a full bar as well. I'm sold on this place.

Disclosure: It's original location has been in Austin for 15 years (on Congress). They're making the SA transition nicely (second location). It reminds me of what Austin used to be versus what it's turned into.

Halcyon Southtown

BN

Old 02-20-2013, 09:06 PM

3,740 posts, read 3,840,748 times
After never being able to find a deep dish I flew in Lou Malnati's from the Windy City and it was awful....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or