U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2009, 04:18 PM

3 posts, read 4,947 times

Advertisements

La Madeleine on Broadway--great omelette
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2009, 04:31 PM

114,159 posts, read 54,018,911 times
Longhorn Cafe - Brooks ..over priced Burgers. Fried pickles were so so, but my stomach wasn't happy!!

Old 08-22-2009, 04:47 PM

3,770 posts, read 7,276,008 times
I really like the Longhorn burgers in UC. We ate at the Brooks one a couple of weeks ago. I did think the pickles were kinda overly salted/seasoned at , not very good.

Old 08-22-2009, 07:33 PM

790 posts, read 3,616,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas View Post
While I haven't eaten there yet, I'm planning on taking on Osteria at The Pearl, as well as a 'preview' dinner at the new Rivercenter Fogo De Chao. Details to come

BN
Please do report on Il Sogno... I've been twice now and am really surprised at how disappointed I am with the menu. Certainly there are some wonderful antipasti, but maybe I got overexcited with the hype about "authenticity" and expected more items that you wouldn't find elsewhere in SA. As one of CDSA's haute cuisine critics, you may have another opinion. Would be nice to get another POV.

However, whatever my (or your) opinion, I don't think this place is in any danger of faltering. Was there for lunch on Tuesday and saw Bob Rivard eating with Nelson Wolff, plus at least 4 or 5 tables filled with ladies in power suits and the occasional eccentric in Armani flip flops and a Maui t-shirt at the bar watching the chefs. This is definitely the new power lunch spot du jour.

Old 08-22-2009, 08:34 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,309,198 times
Mamacita's in Kerrville.
I can make better enchiladas at home.

Old 08-22-2009, 08:44 PM

2,260 posts, read 4,940,624 times
Grimaldi's was good. We met friends for an early dinner at 6:00. My husband, best friend and I got to the restaurant at about 5:50, and they went ahead and set up a table for us. By the time the rest of our party got there at 6:00 our table was ready and waiting for us the nine of us, complete with a booster chair for the 2.5 year old and a high chair for the 11 month old.

Our waiter was attentive and well informed, and not afraid to call for reinforcements when they were needed.

My husband and I ordered the pesto pizza with sun dried tomatoes and a regular pizza with pepperonis and mushrooms. Both were very good. The crust was a-freakin'-mazing. Everyone in our party was happy with their pizza.

And they have Leinie on tap. Seriously? What's not to love.

Old 08-22-2009, 09:44 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,330,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelesteDF View Post
...This is definitely the new power lunch spot du jour.
Hell, I'm FAR from a food critic and simply just a guy who's been lucky enough to eat in a whole lot of places. I'd love to say my palette is refined enough to appreciate everything out there, but sadly, it's not.

I once remember sitting in a spot in Hong Kong and watching the folks at the table next to mine eat monkey brains... Still warm. No matter how long I live, that's definitely something I'm not going to jive with.

Regarding Il Sogno being the new spot for the 'ladies who lunch:' Places like this, no matter if they're good or bad eats, run their course in due time. I've heard far too many friends say that they (like you) were seriously underwhelmed by the offerings which leads me to believe that if Sogno doesn't use this opening as a true preview-period, they might end up with the short end of the breadstick.

I guess we'll just have to see...

BN

Old 08-23-2009, 12:44 AM

2,355 posts, read 5,405,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr1039 View Post
Tre last night
How was it?

Old 08-23-2009, 12:45 AM

2,355 posts, read 5,405,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
Longhorn Cafe - Brooks ..over priced Burgers. Fried pickles were so so, but my stomach wasn't happy!!
The original on Blanco is the best one.

Old 08-23-2009, 01:21 AM

15,062 posts, read 19,631,781 times
Guadalajara Grill, next to La Villita = sucks
Guadalajara Grill homepage

Chips = Extremely crappy, tasted really old
Fajita Salad = Wife had to send it back because the meat look red in the middle
Burrito dinner = First time I ever get a burrito with ground beef that looks red-pink

Place is beautiful, food sucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or