U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2014, 08:05 PM

4,081 posts, read 6,089,580 times

Advertisements

Gilbert's Mexican Food Restaurant for lunch. Hidden in Latigo Plaza at Marbach & 410. Food was excellent and reasonable. Their beef enchiladas are made with slices of steak, not picadillo. I'll be headed back there soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2014, 08:12 PM

6,151 posts, read 8,611,676 times
Had Chabba Thai at Brooks City Base today for lunch. I had sesame chicken. It was good. Not sure if I would go down there just for that specific place, but if in the area I wouldn't mind going again. I'd much rather go to Thai Topaz or Bangkok 54 for Thai.

Old 03-11-2014, 10:10 PM

309 posts, read 463,367 times
The new Longhorn Café in Boerne tonight. Order got a bit messed up, but I expect that for the first few weeks of this kind of establishment. Great burger as always at the other locations!

Old 03-12-2014, 08:56 AM

1,158 posts, read 1,376,622 times
Bangkok 54 Thai Cuisine on Nacogdoches Rd. The Pad Thai Chicken was excellent. The spice got my taste buds's attention.

Old 03-12-2014, 04:39 PM

192 posts, read 355,142 times
Chris Madrid's

Old 03-12-2014, 05:49 PM

443 posts, read 780,350 times
Oh my goodness! Found ourselves working out on the east side today around lunch time. While we were wondering just how the area managed to support an average of two hair salons per block, I noticed a little place called "Mrs. Kitchen". After a quick Google search, determined it was worth investigating.

The lunch menu was $8 an entree with two sides, but the waitress pointed us toward the $10, two entrees and 3 sides. My partner and I went for the latter, not realizing that two entrees meant two regular entrees. I received a full plate of perfectly fried catfish, and another oval platter with a slice of meatloaf traversing the entire plate. I opted for the red, tomato based gravy with the meatloaf, black eyed peas, collard greens, and dirty rice.

The meatloaf was very good, not spectacular, but still better than most places. The catfish was excellent, fried to a crisp that defied ever becoming soggy. My only complain would have been where the filet was thin, a bit overly cooked there. I had a chicken leg from my partner's plate, it was masterfully fried with a thick crust. Again, no way was it going to ever become soggy.

The veggies were excellent, the collard greens had been cooked low and slow like my grandmother used to make them. In fact, the taste was very close to how her's were. Must of been the generous slice of hamhock that had cooked along side them. The dirty rice was spiced rather mild, but all in all it was a worthwhile venture and I plan to visit them again when out in that neck of the woods.

I wish I had had room to try a dessert, but as it was, I was ready for a nap. The cornbread was about equivalent to Tip Top, just a larger portion (and they had honey!). It's a worthy stop for some home cooking..

Old 03-12-2014, 08:28 PM

240 posts, read 247,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapscallion View Post
Oh my goodness! Found ourselves working out on the east side today around lunch time. While we were wondering just how the area managed to support an average of two hair salons per block, I noticed a little place called "Mrs. Kitchen". After a quick Google search, determined it was worth investigating.

The lunch menu was $8 an entree with two sides, but the waitress pointed us toward the $10, two entrees and 3 sides. My partner and I went for the latter, not realizing that two entrees meant two regular entrees. I received a full plate of perfectly fried catfish, and another oval platter with a slice of meatloaf traversing the entire plate. I opted for the red, tomato based gravy with the meatloaf, black eyed peas, collard greens, and dirty rice.

The meatloaf was very good, not spectacular, but still better than most places. The catfish was excellent, fried to a crisp that defied ever becoming soggy. My only complain would have been where the filet was thin, a bit overly cooked there. I had a chicken leg from my partner's plate, it was masterfully fried with a thick crust. Again, no way was it going to ever become soggy.

The veggies were excellent, the collard greens had been cooked low and slow like my grandmother used to make them. In fact, the taste was very close to how her's were. Must of been the generous slice of hamhock that had cooked along side them. The dirty rice was spiced rather mild, but all in all it was a worthwhile venture and I plan to visit them again when out in that neck of the woods.

I wish I had had room to try a dessert, but as it was, I was ready for a nap. The cornbread was about equivalent to Tip Top, just a larger portion (and they had honey!). It's a worthy stop for some home cooking..
I ate here last week for the first time, it was very good. I was too full to eat the dessert, but I took home the hummingbird cake in a to-go box. It was awesome.

Old 03-13-2014, 01:29 PM

6,151 posts, read 8,611,676 times
The Luxury. My picky co-worker hated every last minute of it. I loved it. I had the pulled pig sandwich and fries. It was a beautiful day for it.

Old 03-13-2014, 05:05 PM

54 posts, read 170,981 times
Ate at Kajun Kuisine. Pretty Good.

Old 03-13-2014, 05:20 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,816 posts, read 33,147,671 times
Lunch at Sapporo on Hausman Road for sushi. Lots of sushi and a side of kimchi for less than $10. Way cheaper than Sushi Zushi!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or