U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2014, 02:03 PM

443 posts, read 782,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBaby View Post
all the more reason why I don't give or want gift cards. that's not mentioning the absolute zoo that is every pappas eatery I've been to
Your description fits my experience.

I have a stack of cards that I am now eyeing suspiciously. Most aggravating is a gift certificate to Jason Dady Restaurants. It is from 2011, but I just noticed the fine print which said it was only valid one year from purchase. So, does printing it on paper absolve the issuer from the new law?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2014, 03:14 PM

2,651 posts, read 6,523,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapscallion View Post
Your description fits my experience.

I have a stack of cards that I am now eyeing suspiciously. Most aggravating is a gift certificate to Jason Dady Restaurants. It is from 2011, but I just noticed the fine print which said it was only valid one year from purchase. So, does printing it on paper absolve the issuer from the new law?
Yes, the law only covered stored value cards.

Old 12-04-2014, 06:44 PM

63 posts, read 93,567 times
Violas Ventana on Westover Hills Blvd. Great lunch, very impressed and the place is beautiful. Will definitely go there again

Old 12-05-2014, 08:23 AM

915 posts, read 1,662,811 times
Bob's Steakhouse-

The interior design was done well and the flow of the space works. We started with drinks at the bar and the bartender was personable and made great drinks. The whiskey selection was really good with some very hard to find bottles at somewhat reasonable prices. We then made it to our table.

The waiter was friendly, but was always trying to make a sale. From pitching "the wine of the month" with a laminated placard (I just happened to despise the subject wine) to pushing apps and later dessert it never felt comfortable. It reminded me of going to buy a car. The red wine list was heavily dominated by new world cabs and Bordeaux blends at typical steakhouse prices, but I was able to find a Gattinara that didn't break the bank. Fired calamari was crispy, but flavorless and overrun by the very crispy and thick batter. Bacon wrapped U10 shrimp were fantastic. Ribeye steaks were cooked perfectly, but they were less than 1" thick and I use much better quality dry aged prime at home. The guests having filets and the fish special in our party loved what they had. Sides, atypical to a steakhouse, were included with the entrees and that was a nice touch when most entrees were in the $40-55 range. Most had their choice of potato (baked, mash, or skillet) and a giant carrot cooked in (i'm guessing) butter and cinnamon. They were good, but certainly not remarkable.

Overall, I would rate the bar 9-, wait service 6, design/decor 8+, wine list 6, food 7-, and value 3. I will definitely go back to the bar, but i'm not going for dinner again unless I find myself hosting ultra picky eaters that want to dine in suburbia on an expense account again.

Old 12-05-2014, 09:05 AM

898 posts, read 1,248,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebtx View Post
Bob's Steakhouse-

The interior design was done well and the flow of the space works. We started with drinks at the bar and the bartender was personable and made great drinks. The whiskey selection was really good with some very hard to find bottles at somewhat reasonable prices. We then made it to our table.

The waiter was friendly, but was always trying to make a sale. From pitching "the wine of the month" with a laminated placard (I just happened to despise the subject wine) to pushing apps and later dessert it never felt comfortable. It reminded me of going to buy a car. The red wine list was heavily dominated by new world cabs and Bordeaux blends at typical steakhouse prices, but I was able to find a Gattinara that didn't break the bank. Fired calamari was crispy, but flavorless and overrun by the very crispy and thick batter. Bacon wrapped U10 shrimp were fantastic. Ribeye steaks were cooked perfectly, but they were less than 1" thick and I use much better quality dry aged prime at home. The guests having filets and the fish special in our party loved what they had. Sides, atypical to a steakhouse, were included with the entrees and that was a nice touch when most entrees were in the $40-55 range. Most had their choice of potato (baked, mash, or skillet) and a giant carrot cooked in (i'm guessing) butter and cinnamon. They were good, but certainly not remarkable.

Overall, I would rate the bar 9-, wait service 6, design/decor 8+, wine list 6, food 7-, and value 3. I will definitely go back to the bar, but i'm not going for dinner again unless I find myself hosting ultra picky eaters that want to dine in suburbia on an expense account again.
Thx for the review, very informative.

Old 12-05-2014, 09:06 AM

1 posts, read 896 times
If its a paper certificate issued by any JDRG we will certainly honor your GC. As long as its not from a third party. Cheers. JD

Old 12-05-2014, 10:12 AM

915 posts, read 1,662,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDADY View Post
If its a paper certificate issued by any JDRG we will certainly honor your GC. As long as its not from a third party. Cheers. JD

Well done!

Old 12-05-2014, 03:39 PM

4,088 posts, read 6,107,400 times
Quote:
Straight from the top !! Great job Jason !!!

Old 12-05-2014, 06:06 PM

557 posts, read 400,604 times
Quote:
Service with a smile. I challenge any other eatery in SA to exhibit this kind of connection with their customer base. Well done.

Old 12-07-2014, 07:51 PM

898 posts, read 1,248,406 times
Friday: Choke Canyon Barbecue on Blanco. Food was good (turkey was moist, brisket was pretty good), but they were out of a lot of items: no salad, no baked potatoes, no brownies. On a Friday night.

Saturday: Luciano's in RiverCenter Mall. We had a reservation for 8 PM and they didn't seat us until 8:20. Then they were out of clean glasses and it took a long time to get our drinks. They were also out of meatballs, so my son was disappointed. Overall the food was good though, and the waitress was apologetic and did her best.

Sunday: Stone Werks at the Rim. Horrible service and the burger my wife had upset her stomach. One of our other friends won't eat at that location because she has had bad service in the past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or