U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-04-2015, 02:47 PM
 
915 posts, read 1,657,860 times
Reputation: 545

Advertisements

Shuck Shack- Large patio area with play area and projector screen. Unfortunately for them, the outdoor space dwarfs the much more SA-friendly interior dining area. Interior design/decor is a typical east coast seafood shack. It works.

Beer/Wine selection. C+. While not terrible, it could be worlds better. Raw oysters and no muscadet or Chablis? Crime! Beer list was overwhelmed by too many low-end selections that I don't suspect people paying their food prices would desire, but I could be wrong.

Cocktails- N/A. We enjoyed very well made old fashioneds, but didn't spend much time exploring the cocktail offerings. Promising from what we had.

Service- A. Friendly, knowledgeable, and available when needed. No complaints.

Food- C+/B-. We started with some east coast oysters ($2.75 per) and they were excellent. However, the cocktail sauce for them was pre-portioned and frozen. Hush puppies were just slightly over salted. Kewpie deviled eggs were good. We then split the full-size lobster roll ($40) and it was solid, but not on par with the best I have had.

While we did not have them, the fish and chips looked excellent, but pricey at $24. It won't keep my from trying them, but that is a hefty toll for fried fish to many SA diners.

Overall, I would go back, but i'm not rushing back. I would like to try the fish and chips and their chowders before final judgement. Generally, the menu is limited and pricey and they are up against a fairly excellent and pricey seafood place 2 blocks away that has a strong wine list and deeper menu.

-----

Bella On the River- I went twice recently with similar results. Wine List- B-. Corkage Policy- A. Service- A. Food- A-. Decor A. A quaint spot on the river with very good food and corkage is a God send for me. Throw in wonderful hospitality I was easily sold. I was not expecting that. Thanks to Uber, I will follow this plan often.

----

Palm- Sometimes I like to hit the bar for happy hour dining for a trip down memory lane. It is what it is and sometimes that is perfectly fine (esp. with the happy hour prices).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-04-2015, 04:02 PM
 
1,791 posts, read 2,434,246 times
Reputation: 1421
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebtx View Post
Shuck Shack- Large patio area with play area and projector screen. Unfortunately for them, the outdoor space dwarfs the much more SA-friendly interior dining area. Interior design/decor is a typical east coast seafood shack. It works.

Beer/Wine selection. C+. While not terrible, it could be worlds better. Raw oysters and no muscadet or Chablis? Crime! Beer list was overwhelmed by too many low-end selections that I don't suspect people paying their food prices would desire, but I could be wrong.

Cocktails- N/A. We enjoyed very well made old fashioneds, but didn't spend much time exploring the cocktail offerings. Promising from what we had.

Service- A. Friendly, knowledgeable, and available when needed. No complaints.

Food- C+/B-. We started with some east coast oysters ($2.75 per) and they were excellent. However, the cocktail sauce for them was pre-portioned and frozen. Hush puppies were just slightly over salted. Kewpie deviled eggs were good. We then split the full-size lobster roll ($40) and it was solid, but not on par with the best I have had.

While we did not have them, the fish and chips looked excellent, but pricey at $24. It won't keep my from trying them, but that is a hefty toll for fried fish to many SA diners.

Overall, I would go back, but i'm not rushing back. I would like to try the fish and chips and their chowders before final judgement. Generally, the menu is limited and pricey and they are up against a fairly excellent and pricey seafood place 2 blocks away that has a strong wine list and deeper menu.

-----

I agree with everything you said. We go just because my toddler can play easily on the playground. The fish and chips is more then enough for two people, so that makes the price easier to swallow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2015, 06:49 PM
 
Location: webuysantoniohouses.com
8 posts, read 7,146 times
Reputation: 11
Luby's 1604/Bandera
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2015, 09:35 AM
 
Location: San Antonio, TX USA
5,159 posts, read 9,669,921 times
Reputation: 7949
Ate at Barbaro on McCullough last night. Some really good pizza, price is a bit on the high side compared to proportions, but good food none the less
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2015, 10:21 AM
 
351 posts, read 447,516 times
Reputation: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
Ate at Barbaro on McCullough last night. Some really good pizza, price is a bit on the high side compared to proportions, but good food none the less
I've had success there building my own, but other times I've goofed. It IS expensive pizza. Neat atmosphere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2015, 03:31 PM
 
1,791 posts, read 2,434,246 times
Reputation: 1421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labamigo View Post
I've had success there building my own, but other times I've goofed. It IS expensive pizza. Neat atmosphere.
Go on Monday when all large pizzas are $10. Double the fun and go on a Monday for happy hour with all cocktails $5.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2015, 04:12 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
7,629 posts, read 14,337,726 times
Reputation: 18705
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAHouses View Post
Luby's 1604/Bandera
My momma use to LOVE Luby's went there a LOT for her taste...stopped by there recently and found their pricing and quality not what it use to be.... Sad, because it was a wonderful memory for me since momma passed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2015, 08:10 PM
 
43 posts, read 58,470 times
Reputation: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by winst0n View Post
Sushi Express @Stoneoak.. my first time and I was pleasantly surprise it was really good.
I went there with my wife a couple weeks back. They have pretty decent sushi, but what you wouldn't necessarily expect from the name is that they have better Korean food than any other Korean restaurant we've tried in San Antonio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2015, 08:39 AM
 
555 posts, read 396,459 times
Reputation: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labamigo View Post
I've had success there building my own, but other times I've goofed. It IS expensive pizza. Neat atmosphere.
Expensive is subjective, but for the quality and size of the pizza, I don't think $15-20 is out of line. This isn't CeCe's Pizza.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2015, 09:12 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
898 posts, read 1,243,472 times
Reputation: 771
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAHouses View Post
Luby's 1604/Bandera
Thank you for the helpful, information-packed review!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:34 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top