Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2009, 06:28 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,820,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwangle View Post
Has anyone eaten in the Tower of the Americas restaurant recently? Is there still a restaurant up there?
Yes, it's now called The Chart House, owned and operated by Landrys, who, not coincidentally also manages the entire Tower complex.

It's better than it was, but not somewhere I'd expect a great meal at that price-point. You're paying for the view... Remember that and you won't cringe so much when the bill comes.

BN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2009, 07:11 PM

11 posts, read 33,045 times
Well I just finished a meal at The Tap Exchange, Evans and Bulverde, and it was EXCELLENT. Service was great, Beers were cold and plentiful. I highly recommend The Tap Exchange! You wonr be disappointed.

Old 09-15-2009, 07:22 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,823,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pucknutt View Post
Well I just finished a meal at The Tap Exchange, Evans and Bulverde, and it was EXCELLENT. Service was great, Beers were cold and plentiful. I highly recommend The Tap Exchange! You wonr be disappointed.
Ok phuknuts ..sounds good!

Old 09-19-2009, 07:21 PM

2,260 posts, read 5,616,707 times
We ate at Guadalajara on Commerce, just outside the gates of OLLU. It was pretty danged good. It's a mom and pop, neighborhood kind of place. There were six of us and our waitress was a sweetie - she was very young, perhaps 20 or 21 - and endured our Spanish (well, three of us - two were fluent and one has zero Spanish) with good graces.

I had chicken enchiladas, and borracho beans instead of refried. The borracho beans were GOOD. Their rice was decent, too, and was how I like it, with corn, peas and a few green beans in it.

Oh, and their salsa? MmmmMMM! Good stuff. Homemade flour tortillas and homemade tortilla chips.

We will definitely go back - good stuff!

Old 09-21-2009, 07:33 AM

915 posts, read 1,904,121 times
I went to Oloroso recently based on high praise and Chef Cross' phenomenal resume (he worked at some places we really enjoy in NYC). I expected a lot based on his resume and the insanely high prices they charge (breaking $30 for an entree in SA puts you in exclusive company).

The space: Beautiful King William cottage on S Alamo that reminded of dining at Gramercy Tavern (a place the chef used to work). A

Appetizers: My Charcutiere plate was fine, but some cuts were served a bit cold to enjoy and a large piece of plastic wrap made it to the table. C[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

Salmon Terrine w/ Salmon Roe was inedbly salty. The terrine was saltier than the roe! The portion was huge and out of place for fine dining. IIRC they charge a sharing fee so I would assume it was not designed to share.

Main Course: My grilled pork loin with chorizo, peppers, etc. was very salty. Someone in the kitchen was heavy-handed with the kosher salt. I sent it back. It returned salty, but I could at least now taste the chorizo and other accompaniments. The portion size was again large for fine dining. C-

My wife's duck was well prepared, but not outstanding by any means. Again, the portion size was ridiculous. Howeve, it made for a nice breakfast item. B

Cheese plate: A nice selection, but the presentation (minor issue) could be improved. B+

Wine List: Solid but pricey. $25 corkage is well woth it imo.

Service: Overall good, but there was room for improvement by the waitress' support team. B

Old 09-21-2009, 07:39 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,029,649 times
Demo's. Regular-sized mozzarella, but should have gone with the micro-sized. They automatically come with fries, and they are pretty good, although on Saturday they were a tad greasy. We went after the lunch crowd and it was nice and quiet in there. Food was too hot to eat for about 5 minutes after we got it. It was fresh and delicious, and we left fat and happy for under $20.

Noticed Jimmy John's didn't have a single car parked out front, so curiousity got the better of me and I walked down there to see what was going on. The sign on the door said "computer glitch" and they'd reopen on the 21st.

Old 09-21-2009, 12:23 PM

574 posts, read 1,338,434 times
We stopped at Earl Abel's last night for dinner. We both had the Roasted Turkey with dressing, which was pretty good. Nice "homey" food, great service from our waitress. The rolls were hot and yummy on the first go round, but we asked for extra rolls and they were not as soft & warm as before, don't know what happened

Any other eateries in San Antonio similar to this?

Old 09-21-2009, 05:50 PM

1,848 posts, read 4,683,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebtx View Post
I went to Oloroso recently based on high praise and Chef Cross' phenomenal resume (he worked at some places we really enjoy in NYC). I expected a lot based on his resume and the insanely high prices they charge (breaking $30 for an entree in SA puts you in exclusive company).

The space: Beautiful King William cottage on S Alamo that reminded of dining at Gramercy Tavern (a place the chef used to work). A

Appetizers: My Charcutiere plate was fine, but some cuts were served a bit cold to enjoy and a large piece of plastic wrap made it to the table. C[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

Salmon Terrine w/ Salmon Roe was inedbly salty. The terrine was saltier than the roe! The portion was huge and out of place for fine dining. IIRC they charge a sharing fee so I would assume it was not designed to share.

Main Course: My grilled pork loin with chorizo, peppers, etc. was very salty. Someone in the kitchen was heavy-handed with the kosher salt. I sent it back. It returned salty, but I could at least now taste the chorizo and other accompaniments. The portion size was again large for fine dining. C-

My wife's duck was well prepared, but not outstanding by any means. Again, the portion size was ridiculous. Howeve, it made for a nice breakfast item. B

Cheese plate: A nice selection, but the presentation (minor issue) could be improved. B+

Wine List: Solid but pricey. $25 corkage is well woth it imo.

Service: Overall good, but there was room for improvement by the waitress' support team. B
OOhhhh, I have heard wonderful things about Gramercy, had been encouraged to go by a friend who know the biz (had worked with Rathburn up in Dallas).

Not as veggie friendly as we are used to so we skipped it.

So Oloroso has a corkage option huh, with my frequency at Joe Saglimbenis that sounds like a pretty great deal. My favorite bottle of wine right now clocks in at just 18 bucks at Joes.

I just looked at Olorosos website...

I have heard of a split charge for an entree but have NEVER heard of a split charge for an appetizer. Mind boggeling...

My husband and I very often split entrees but find the split charge is left off after we order a bottle of wine, dessert, port etc. and it is realized that we are not trying for a lower bill - just enjoying dinner without trying to get stuffed.

How long did your evening last?

Old 09-22-2009, 08:01 AM

915 posts, read 1,904,121 times
I was only speculating that the split was applicable to the apps. I'm probably wrong given the size of them. Just avoid the salmon terrine and pork entree and you should fair better than us. The entrees are definitely Texas-sized and not what you would find @ fine dining restaurants elsewhere. They are made for sharing.

The 3 course meal was roughly a hour. Not rushed, but not spaced like a Le Reve meal either. We ordered champer slpits off the list, but they did not offset the corkage fee.

I hope your meal is much better than ours was. Please report back.

Old 09-22-2009, 10:48 AM

1,848 posts, read 4,683,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebtx View Post
I was only speculating that the split was applicable to the apps. I'm probably wrong given the size of them. Just avoid the salmon terrine and pork entree and you should fair better than us. The entrees are definitely Texas-sized and not what you would find @ fine dining restaurants elsewhere. They are made for sharing.

The 3 course meal was roughly a hour. Not rushed, but not spaced like a Le Reve meal either. We ordered champer slpits off the list, but they did not offset the corkage fee.

I hope your meal is much better than ours was. Please report back.
The split charge for an app was listed on their online menu.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio