U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2009, 06:59 PM

2,260 posts, read 4,954,110 times

Advertisements

We had supper at Thai Pikul - YUM. I had cashew chicken (spicy 4 on a 5 scale). My husband had chicken and broccoli (spicy 3). We split an order of spring rolls and we both had Thai iced tea. YUM.

RGJ, there's a German restaurant on Babcock, just off 410 - can't remember the name but have eaten there several times. Good stuff. There's also Schilo's downtown, of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2009, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas View Post
Guenther House for brekkie.

It was just okay. The dining room was under-air conditioned, which made for a very uncomfortable meal. I had the soup/sandwich combo, which sounded nice in theory, but the corn chowder was entirely too thickened with, naturally, Pioneer flour and the chicken salad sandwich was ruined by the taste of very pungent (or too old, perhaps) kalamata olives.

Service was quick. No wait for a lunchtime table.

BN
I am not a fan of their chicken salad because of the olives.

Also, you had soup and a sandwich for breakfast? Or does "brekkie" mean something else?

Old 10-06-2009, 07:47 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,341,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaGrace View Post
I am not a fan of their chicken salad because of the olives.

Also, you had soup and a sandwich for breakfast? Or does "brekkie" mean something else?
Yep. I ate late today. Just got back from overseas and my timeframe is still a little wonky. Brekkie can be anytime of day, y'know

BN

Old 10-07-2009, 09:16 AM

6,878 posts, read 18,223,046 times
We had Chuy's last night. Doggone it, it was really good. Both of us had the #1 and it was outstanding. I love homemade corn tortillas!!

Old 10-08-2009, 08:09 PM

6,878 posts, read 18,223,046 times
Had Chester's tonight. Was frustrated with a couple of restaurants that didn't have their menus online...so hubby went over to Chester's and ordered. The burgers were great! I don't know about being the best in the state, but they were quite delicious, all the fixins were tasty and fresh. Fries were a little dry but still good and potato-ey. Rarely does a burger come to me just the way I like it cooked (med well) but this one was perfectly done. It was a little bit pricier than I expected, but that's because everything seems to come a la carte rather than in baskets, but it was worth it. Yum.

Old 10-08-2009, 11:48 PM

574 posts, read 1,164,585 times
Went downtown and had Mr. Tim's Country Kitchen. They moved from their old location and are located on Presa. I had the Chicken Fried Steak, not the best but pretty good. I'd prefer a little more salt, but for 5.99 I'm not going to complain too much. The potatoes were great moist, dense, with just the right amount of lumps. The fried okra was also good, I like mine fried a little hard -- which was my fault for not asking for it to be prepared that way. All in all great dinner, and my friend enjoyed her meal as well. The real standout were the dinner rolls, HUGE, moist, WARM, and fluffy. We slathered those rolls in butter and drizzled on the honey, definitely the highlight of the meal for me.

Old 10-09-2009, 12:01 AM

Location: TX Hill Country-Helotes, Pipe Creek/Lake Hills & San Antonio, TX
845 posts, read 1,384,155 times
Long Horn Cafe, Leon Springs, TX. this evening for dinner. Yummy!!!!

Old 10-09-2009, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadlockd View Post
Went downtown and had Mr. Tim's Country Kitchen. They moved from their old location and are located on Presa. I had the Chicken Fried Steak, not the best but pretty good. I'd prefer a little more salt, but for 5.99 I'm not going to complain too much. The potatoes were great moist, dense, with just the right amount of lumps. The fried okra was also good, I like mine fried a little hard -- which was my fault for not asking for it to be prepared that way. All in all great dinner, and my friend enjoyed her meal as well. The real standout were the dinner rolls, HUGE, moist, WARM, and fluffy. We slathered those rolls in butter and drizzled on the honey, definitely the highlight of the meal for me.
You are KILLING me.

How's their fried chicken? I LOVE fried chicken, mashed potatoes with milk gravy and yeast rolls. If I ever end up on death row, that's my last meal right there.

Old 10-09-2009, 11:36 AM

38,022 posts, read 55,817,679 times
RGJ: In my opinion there is no good German restaurant in town right now. We had the one on Rittiman Rd and it was closed in 1993, then reopened as Old Heidelberg Restaurant on San Pedro. They closed it I think early 2000.
Was not the best, but it was ok. Another one was in the little mall past Ingram Mall on loop 410 south. Don't remember the name. They closed and reopened on Pearsall Rd. Food was good, so I went to look for it on Pearsall Rd and didn't found it. The last one, on FM46 in Kirby was closed recently, but I heard that it has a new owner and is open again. Will try check on that this weekend.
You mentioned the restaurant on Babcock - it calls Old World Delicatessen and claims to be German. When I was teaching in Berlitz, a part of the study was eating in German restaurant. I went there with my students and was very disappointed - every time. Maybe because I know real German food? This stuff over there is all deep fried, and cakes come from New York, frozen. I do not liked the food, is not authentic and no one cooking there was German or at least European.
I was not fond of any of the German restaurants in New Braunfels either, especially the “ famous” Oma House. Stopped going there years ago. Maybe someone opened there a new German place, but I am not aware of it.

Old 10-09-2009, 11:37 AM

elnina, have you eaten at the Alsatian in Castroville?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or