Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2009, 10:12 PM

61,172 posts, read 85,998,837 times

Advertisements

... and??? Where is it? Was it good?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2009, 10:40 PM

18,044 posts, read 25,080,159 times
Azuca:
Had the "Parrillada" and I split it with my wife $20 + $3 for splitting because they give you more when you split it.

I was very dissapointed or maybe my standard for "Parrillada" is too high.
I was given:
- Piece of grilled chicken (normal, reminded me a little of chicken cooked with a George Foreman)
- Piece of pork (very tough and dry)
- Piece of beef (really good and soft)
- Piece of sausage (bad, had jalapenos in it and was very spicy)
also mashed potatoes and a few fried vegetables.

Maybe my expectations were too high because I'm used to the Parrillada's I had when I have visited Venezuela.

Old 10-10-2009, 11:35 PM

Location: TX Hill Country-Helotes, Pipe Creek/Lake Hills & San Antonio, TX
844 posts, read 1,617,395 times
Default Pok-e-jo's Smokehouse

Pok-e-jo's Smokehouse restaurant in Austin, TX today. Barbecue beef brisket and pork loin dinner plate. This was a good choice, loved it.

Old 10-11-2009, 01:22 AM

574 posts, read 1,332,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaGrace View Post
You are KILLING me.

How's their fried chicken? I LOVE fried chicken, mashed potatoes with milk gravy and yeast rolls. If I ever end up on death row, that's my last meal right there.

I'm not sure about fried chicken...I don't think I've seen it on their menu. I could be wrong, I am pretty forgetful.

Old 10-11-2009, 11:53 AM

1,552 posts, read 2,315,148 times
Triple C Steakhouse in Devine - decent steak and service.

Old 10-11-2009, 12:38 PM

1,642 posts, read 4,075,871 times
Everybody's eating out of town lately!

Old 10-12-2009, 05:21 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,273,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaGrace View Post
We went to Maggiano's for lunch today - it was good! I had the chicken pesto linguine and a mini chocolate cake for dessert. My companion (that's what they say in Texas Monthly and the New Yorker!) had the Chicago-style Italian sausage and ziti, and some kind of pound cake with sugared and baked bananas on the side (had some creme freche or something on it too). We were quite pleased.

The service was great - our waiter really was spectacular. His name was Frank and he talked Cardinals baseball in a wonderful Italian accent. He was just the right amount of attentive without being intrusive.

And the restaurant itself is cool. Yes, it's a chain, but it really captured the old New York atmosphere - lots of Sinatra playing and banquettes with spanky white clothes over red checkered cloths. They even got the chandeliers and other light fixtures right for that '50s Manhattan club atmosphere.

Two thumbs up...even for a chain.
My "companion" and I finally made it there yesterday and it was worth a drive on 1604 in the rain, so that says something. We did the buy half there take the other half home thing, which was a hella deal. I got the ziti and spaghetti is today's lunch. My wife, I mean companion, got lasagna for both. Her lasagna was Very good and she ate the whole thing, which rarely happens and is a sure sign of very good food. The ziti was also very good, but I wish I would've got the lasagna. The best part was the bill, which was only $28
is iced tea included with dinner? they didn't charge us for it, so I tipped the waiter extra. I figure better to give them money than the restaurant, as long as they do a good job and he was great. Also, that bread is freaking sweet.

Old 10-12-2009, 08:48 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,328,040 times
Went to Texas Roadhouse last night. Have always seen these around the country and thought it was so funny they actually had them in Texas. Like we can't do steak without a chain involved? LOL. Anyway, my sister said that it was really good, so we went and dang it all, it WAS good. I had the 6 oz filet, hubby had the ribeye, and both were just delicious. Very tender and tasty. My sister and her husband were with us, and she has celiac disease--so if you have CD and can't have gluten...make sure you tell them no seasoned butter for the steak, because apparently it has gluten, and they brush the steaks with it before they put them on the grill. They told us to ask for regular butter instead.

For four adults, two kids under 4, with an appetizer, entrees, bread, and drinks it was $83 (w/o tip). Not bad, IMHO...

Old 10-12-2009, 02:41 PM

114,841 posts, read 65,496,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Went to Texas Roadhouse last night. Have always seen these around the country and thought it was so funny they actually had them in Texas. Like we can't do steak without a chain involved? LOL. Anyway, my sister said that it was really good, so we went and dang it all, it WAS good. I had the 6 oz filet, hubby had the ribeye, and both were just delicious. Very tender and tasty. My sister and her husband were with us, and she has celiac disease--so if you have CD and can't have gluten...make sure you tell them no seasoned butter for the steak, because apparently it has gluten, and they brush the steaks with it before they put them on the grill. They told us to ask for regular butter instead.

For four adults, two kids under 4, with an appetizer, entrees, bread, and drinks it was $83 (w/o tip). Not bad, IMHO...
Noisy, but good eats!!!

Old 10-12-2009, 02:48 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,273,279 times
FYI, spaghetti is not a good option for Maggiano's. Matter of fact, I think it was the worst spaghetti I've ever had in my life and that includes the time my wife accidentally put Rotel in the sauce thinking it was diced tomatoes. Not sure if it tastes good when it's in the restaurant, but getting the 1/2 portion to go is not a good idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio