U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2009, 07:17 AM

915 posts, read 1,656,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffy888 View Post
Taco Palenque on 410/Broadway. Ehhh - some good, some bad - expected better. Liked the chips and the salsa bar. DH had the "panchos" which were nachos w/beans, cheese, and fajita meat. These were pretty good, but not something for which he would rush right back. I had chicken enchiladas with green sauce - I hesitate to say enchiladas verde as I don't think these quite met my expectations for that. The chicken didn't have a huge amount of flavor and the green sauce tasted somewhat vinegar-y. Asked to substitute charra beans and the cashier said okay, but seemed to have problems getting it changed on the register; I ended up with refried but was hungry enough that it just didn't matter at that point. For the food plus 1 large drink it was $17.18.

We will probably go back at some point to try different menu items, but it is not someplace I feel compelled to go back to in the immediate future.
Is the Taco Palenque from Laredo? If so, I used to LOVE them when they had a location on Wurzbach. Great mole & tres leches for an drive-through.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2009, 07:21 AM

915 posts, read 1,656,267 times
oh no, i just looked and they have gone the way of Taco Cabana. They are no longer Mex., but rather predictable tex mex. Sad.

Old 10-19-2009, 08:39 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,326,607 times
Back to Brasserie Pavil last night...

Lightning doesn't seem to strike twice: The service was better this time, but the food was miserable. Way overcooked rack of lamb (we asked for it medium-rare), bland lemon-chicken and the tiniest portion of foie gras I've ever seen for $20. Eek.

I'd give them another shot, but I'm going to wait a while. It seems to me that their kitchen is solely dictated by the mood/personality of the sous chef working that night. Last night, I definitely had a whole different experience food-wise... That kind of wavering reliability is unacceptable in a restaurant of this nature.

BN

Old 10-19-2009, 10:15 AM

1,848 posts, read 4,190,353 times
Lunch on Saturday at Bin555.

Started with a bottle of Chardonnay the Wood Fired Naan Flatbread with Roasted Garlic Butter.

I had the Chevre Grilled Cheese Sandwiches and a Mixed Greens Salad with Goat Cheese, Dried Cranberries, Marcona Almonds and Sherry Vinaigrette.

Friend had the Chicken Flatbread Pannini Sandwich with Pommes Frites. MMM, fries.

The food was good, not great, but creative and satisfying. The atmosphere and service were both perfect. Wonderful patio weather this past weekend.

Last edited by cr1039; 10-19-2009 at 10:33 AM..

Old 10-19-2009, 11:29 AM

37,563 posts, read 55,188,712 times
Default Last restaurant I ate at

Diner last Friday: Golden Bowl on Austin Hwy
It was combination Lo Mein platter, served in an oval dish covered with a lid to preserve the heat. Rich with tender pieces of beef, chicken and shrimp, mixed with stir fried noodles, tossed with slightly crisp broccoli, mushrooms, snow peas, carrots, cabbage, onions and tofu, blended with a rich and savory stir-fry sauce. The Lo Mein noodles were plentiful and tasty, and I liked the crunchy texture of the veggies with excellent blend of seasoning. A truly delicious dish. The restaurant is a gem, and I am very happy that I discovered it.
Golden Bowl is open Mon-Sat 11-3 for lunch and 5-8 for dinner. No credit cards.
Attachment 51293

Last edited by elnina; 01-22-2010 at 02:10 PM..

Old 10-19-2009, 08:37 PM

Location: TX Hill Country-Helotes, Pipe Creek/Lake Hills & San Antonio, TX
845 posts, read 1,379,161 times
Thumbs up Last Restaurant I ate at tonight........

Red Lobster - endless shrimp!

http://www.redlobster.com/

Old 10-20-2009, 10:25 AM

1,410 posts, read 1,863,314 times
Tried Einstein Bagel on DeZavala and I-10. The bagel, lox and cream cheese was passable. The Boardwalk Bistro on Broadway does a better one with a better presentation.

SA isn't really a bagel and lox town - anyone have a better suggestion?

Went to Brasserie Pavil this weekend, service was pretty good. The food was tasty but it really is expensive for what you get. The best thing are the desserts.

For a third of the price, we went to Mencius and had their smoked duck, scallops with black bean sauce and sauteed dry string beans - awesome and so much cheaper.

For dessert - we had Haagen-Daaz at home.

Old 10-20-2009, 12:13 PM

6,878 posts, read 18,157,737 times
Went to Pacific Moon and picked up food last night. What a gem of a place. Lots of potential here for some seriously good meals. Hubby got the Mark & Mike bowl and I got sesame chicken. Unfortunately, mine was WAY too sweet. I should not have put any of the sauce on it, it was like maple syrup. Delicious brown rice and lovely salad too. I have heard great things about it, it's not really Chinese, it's just more of an asian blend with American. The owner is Korean-American. Good stuff.

Old 10-20-2009, 12:55 PM

160 posts, read 197,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEM-Texas View Post
Tried Einstein Bagel on DeZavala and I-10. The bagel, lox and cream cheese was passable. The Boardwalk Bistro on Broadway does a better one with a better presentation.

SA isn't really a bagel and lox town - anyone have a better suggestion?

Went to Brasserie Pavil this weekend, service was pretty good. The food was tasty but it really is expensive for what you get. The best thing are the desserts.

For a third of the price, we went to Mencius and had their smoked duck, scallops with black bean sauce and sauteed dry string beans - awesome and so much cheaper.

For dessert - we had Haagen-Daaz at home.
Yes, air fare to NYC is quite cheap these days.

Old 10-20-2009, 01:29 PM

1,512 posts, read 2,604,511 times
Just tried Signature in the Fairmont Hotel. This place used to be Luca until it mysteriously closed not too long ago. The food at Signature was actually very good. I had a couple of appetizers, main course, and dessert. Split the ticket between me and my coworker and with tip came out to $30.00.

--Dim
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or