Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2009, 03:16 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,803,565 times

Advertisements

Last night @ Brasserie Pavil...

The dining room is stunning. If you've been to The Wolseley in London or Balthazar in Manhattan, you'll feel back at home in this space: It's open, airy and very different from most other restaurant spaces in San Antonio. The only design qualm I had with Pavil is that they rely too heavily on banquet seating, with very little semi-private booth space available. There looked to be one or two singular booths on the main dining floor (which were occupied at the time), so instead of sharing dinner and conversation with total stranger, I decided to eat in the bar area, which had comfortable wood-slatted private booths.

Impressive looking bar. Was sad to see the bartender didn't know how to make a sidecar, but I fed him the recipe and it came out great. Overall, prices are on the low side and their wine selection is varied.

The menu reminded me of something Daniel Boulud would do. It was French inspired, but always laid back with very fresh ingredients. Started with a cheese plate and steak tartare: Both were fantastic. The plate came with a selection of 6 cheeses. The steak was freshly ground and garnished with the usual caper and onion. Really superb quality... and it better be if you're eating raw meat.

Pavil puts some whimsical choices into their menu, including fried chicken lollipops and a double hamburger meatloaf, but follows through with classics such as frogs legs, coq au vin, various cassoulets and sauted foie gras. I'm getting fat just thinking about last night's meal.

I went with the salmon puttanesca. They leave the skin on (which is where most of your omega-3s come from) and simmer it in a wonderful puttanesca base. Luckily, it's not too salty or overly 'anchovy' tasting as some puttanesca's can be. It was just perfect.

They have a nice desert menu. I ended up going with two crepes (one banana's foster-style, the other double chocolate).

The wait-staff and front-house is really on top of things. The meal flowed well and the service was impeccable.

I'd love to see an addition of beef bourguignon to the menu in true Julia Child fashion. It's a wonderful country-French inspired dish and would compliment what they already have there.

Two big thumbs up for Brasserie Pavil!

BN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2009, 03:20 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,273,279 times
I'm going to have to try steak tartare one day. I love my grilled steaks and burgers very rare with plenty of blood pooling on the plate. Only problem would be capers because I really REALLY don't like them.

Old 10-12-2009, 03:39 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,803,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
I'm going to have to try steak tartare one day. I love my grilled steaks and burgers very rare with plenty of blood pooling on the plate. Only problem would be capers because I really REALLY don't like them.
No worries! They can de-caper it for ya

BN

Old 10-12-2009, 08:03 PM

1,220 posts, read 2,669,506 times
Had the SALTIEST burger ever at Whataburger tonight. They need to tone that stuff down.

Old 10-12-2009, 11:22 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,401,357 times
Yesterday had panchitos downtown, the tacos were good.

Old 10-13-2009, 08:26 AM

1,642 posts, read 4,075,871 times
Finally got around to trying AUGIES BBQ by the zoo, had a sliced brisket on a bun, good meat. I like the sauce, it is thin and sweet like Bill Millers, but with more vinegar flavor and a little burn to it. I look forward to trying the other meats when I am in the area. Recommend!

Old 10-13-2009, 09:12 AM

915 posts, read 1,895,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbrocks View Post
Finally got around to trying AUGIES BBQ by the zoo, had a sliced brisket on a bun, good meat. I like the sauce, it is thin and sweet like Bill Millers, but with more vinegar flavor and a little burn to it. I look forward to trying the other meats when I am in the area. Recommend!
Brisket is their weakest offering. Their pulled pork, sausage, and chicken fajita are the stars there.

Old 10-13-2009, 09:21 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,068,103 times
Chit Chat's on Cherry St. near the Alamodome rocks; loving their BBQ sauce!

Old 10-13-2009, 09:28 AM

915 posts, read 1,895,693 times
traveling....

Mon- Geno's (Phili)
Tue- Pat's King of steak's (Phili)
Fri- Sarge's Deli & Union Square Cafe (NYC)
Sat- Momofuku Ssam & Hearth (NYC)
Sun- Landmarc (NYC)

Old 10-13-2009, 12:34 PM

330 posts, read 932,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebtx View Post
traveling....

Mon- Geno's (Phili)
Tue- Pat's King of steak's (Phili)
Fri- Sarge's Deli & Union Square Cafe (NYC)
Sat- Momofuku Ssam & Hearth (NYC)
Sun- Landmarc (NYC)

OMG Union Sq. Cafe I can taste it from here I'm Drooling I wish we could get simple diner or cafe food here! Ok don't mind me just rambling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio