U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 08:06 PM

214 posts, read 442,734 times

Advertisements

I am picking up a new truck payment so I want to expand my mowing route right around my area. I've targeted people on Craigslist by putting in the two zip codes I want to cover, and I'm offering free mows for referrals. I am resisting the idea of putting out waves of door hangers as people on here have told me they hate them, but I am tempted to ignore that fact because I get about a 15% return on them (which is INSANELY good).

Do you guys have any ideas for me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2009, 08:09 PM

13,807 posts, read 26,293,318 times
how is word of mouth working for you? and what kind of truck did you get? The guys that came over today were in a pretty nice new Silverado. It was far from a stripper and even had a moonroof. I don't know why anyone would have anything like that for a work truck.

Old 05-30-2009, 08:24 PM

Word of mouth is great. I had a customer refer me after the first mow the other day. Had to grin about that one.

I am getting a 02 F150 with an xcab and stepside. It's got to fill a dual function as both a personal and work vehicle, so it is neither outrageously nasty or nice. It is the Lariat with leather and a CD player, but I went a little older so I don't feel like I'm losing money driving it off the lot. It does have the 5.4L which was the big dog of that year so that I'll be able to tow should I need to, and certainly haul (Rhino liner included as well).

Old 05-30-2009, 08:33 PM

322 posts, read 688,603 times
Don't put'em out in Castle Hills without a permit first!

Old 05-30-2009, 09:12 PM

288 posts, read 829,636 times
You can start a website, keep up with Craigslist, take flyers to local businesses to see if they will hand them out. You can barter the flyer hand outs with free lawn service for the business. Make sure your flyers are easy to read, spelled correctly, proper grammar, and informative. List all of the services you offer - especially things like last minute appointments, holiday appointments, regularly scheduled follow-ups. If local organizations are having auctions or fundraisers, donate a lawn service package for free. You won't get paid, but if you are good then word will spread. Go above and beyond to be seen.

Old 05-30-2009, 10:34 PM

all good ideas!

Old 05-30-2009, 10:35 PM

And you can start a website for really cheap! If you want to register a domain then you can use google to host it for free. It's pretty basic but it'll do the job. Then ,you can have your email@yourdomain.com and you'll be able to check it from anywhere -- online, on your blackberry, iphone, etc.

Old 05-30-2009, 11:02 PM

Speaking of websites, I do already have one. I am not sure how to ask members of this community to look at it and tell me what they think. I know that if someone asks me for it in PM I am able to give it to them, but other than that I do not want to post it here because I would be violating the terms of the site.

If you are willing to look at my website and tell me what you think, please PM me.

Old 05-30-2009, 11:05 PM

I have been doing full color door hangers, have a website, and am doing the referral program I mentioned. The donation idea is a good one. The quick last-minute appointment idea is a good one too. Maybe I could theme my service as being the last minute guys. The problem is that those last minute customers who do not setup an account really don't make me any money with how cheap my service is.

If I would normally mow for $28, what is an acceptable price to charge someone for 'last minute'? Based on the inefficiency of not being on a route, I'd have to charge about $10 more to make up for the loss of time. Is this out of line?

Old 05-31-2009, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reallybigshoe View Post
I have been doing full color door hangers, have a website, and am doing the referral program I mentioned. The donation idea is a good one. The quick last-minute appointment idea is a good one too. Maybe I could theme my service as being the last minute guys. The problem is that those last minute customers who do not setup an account really don't make me any money with how cheap my service is.

If I would normally mow for $28, what is an acceptable price to charge someone for 'last minute'? Based on the inefficiency of not being on a route, I'd have to charge about $10 more to make up for the loss of time. Is this out of line?
Depends on how desperate they are and how desperate you are -- a perfect opportunity for a "lesson" in price discrimination!

I'm trying to find a good example of price discrimination that would fit your situation.. but the easiest example to think of is Airline ticketing. If an airline isn't full it may sell the remaining tickets for cheap (i.e. last minute fares) to fill up the plane and generate a little more revenue.

But, it works the other way too -- if a business traveler is desperate to get from DFW -> ORD then they're probably going to be paying the highest possible fare.

Like I said.. it depends on whether you're sitting around the house not doing anything (wanting to "fill your plane" - in your case your schedule) or if you have a customer who is having a party later that day and desperately needs his yard cleaned up (last-minute business traveler)

Price discrimination - Examples of price discrimination

ECONOMICS++
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or