Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 05:55 PM

11 posts, read 29,342 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving from Maryland to the San Antonio area next Spring along with our four children. I have been searching homes on Realtor.com and am having a hard time finding a home that is even somewhat close to what I want. I was hoping to find a semi-rustic home with at least 1/2 acre in an area with good schools. We'd like to keep the price under $350k. Since my husband will be working in northern San Antonio, I need to keep his commute in mind (less than 30 mins.) Are there any neighborhoods that fit my "wish list?"

Any help with neighborhood suggestions is GREATLY appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2009, 06:23 PM

5,643 posts, read 15,681,217 times
What about north of Helotes? Definitely doable.

Old 05-31-2009, 06:29 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,894,218 times
Send your post above to any SA realtor, they will find you several places that you'd want to see. Geverally, we think in terms of school districts, look for houses in the Northside ISD, Northeast ISD, and Boerne ISD.

Old 05-31-2009, 06:59 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,336,853 times
Hollywood Park has some older homes with larger lots....also Shavano Park. You might get more for your money there. Also Fair Oaks Ranch and Boerne have newer developments (already mentioned).

Kev Crawford is a first rate Realtor that is a member here on CD. That's his area!! Top notch Realtor and super ethical business standards.

Old 05-31-2009, 07:15 PM

214 posts, read 500,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCCF3 View Post
My husband and I are moving from Maryland to the San Antonio area next Spring along with our four children. I have been searching homes on Realtor.com and am having a hard time finding a home that is even somewhat close to what I want. I was hoping to find a semi-rustic home with at least 1/2 acre in an area with good schools. We'd like to keep the price under $350k. Since my husband will be working in northern San Antonio, I need to keep his commute in mind (less than 30 mins.) Are there any neighborhoods that fit my "wish list?"

Any help with neighborhood suggestions is GREATLY appreciated
As a local contractor who sees all of the city, I recommend you looking into Helotes. If you were twice as far out in Helotes but got to skip the 281 mess (which is due north) you would get to work in half the time. The problem is that although the northern upscale stuff is nice, 281 provides the only access there and instead of being a true highway, it has an over abundance of traffic lights. We WILL NOT meet anyone up there between 8 and 9am or between 3 and 7 pm. It just takes too long (hour+) to get out of there.

Helotes on the other hand is very rustic, still very affordable, and has incredible acess to the real San Antonio. You can jump on 16 and be on the outer loop in 5 minutes or the inner loop in 12 minutes.

Check it out, for sure.

Old 05-31-2009, 08:01 PM

322 posts, read 773,377 times
Hollywood Park is an amazing area... well-established neighborhood with large yards, lots of trees, deer, etc. The downside is they have septic tanks

Old 05-31-2009, 08:03 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,409,324 times
Thanks so much wCat. I appreciate that so much.

Realtor.com is the best site the public has access too, but it's still not updated like it should be. "Northern SA" is a vague term, so when you find your Realtor, let them know where you're going to be located specifically and how long of a commute you're looking for.

I know that what you're looking for is out there because I was recently looking for something similar for a client of mine. Keep your head up.

Get a good referral of a good Realtor here in town and let them find it for you. I assure you it's out there.

Old 05-31-2009, 08:04 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,409,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deek102 View Post
Hollywood Park is an amazing area... well-established neighborhood with large yards, lots of trees, deer, etc. The downside is they have septic tanks
Septics are actually GREAT systems a lot of the time. Most of the homes that I sell in the million dollar + range are on septic.

HP has a guy in there that services most of them for the neighborhood and you rarely hear of any problems.

I really like the HP area too!

Old 05-31-2009, 08:05 PM

Depending on how much you like small towns, you might even consider south of SA. I know people who live in/near Floresville and they don't have any problems driving up I-37 (281) in the morning as they are normally going against traffic. A friend could get from Floresville to the Airport-area in ~40 minutes or so. He had 3+ acres. All of the houses in his sub-division thingie were all 3+ acre lots and you couldn't subdivide smaller than that.

I am not a fan of the west side (Helotes or anything outside of 1604 on that side, sorry). I love being centrally located. We have .36 of an acre but there are much larger lots in our area.

Old 05-31-2009, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
Thanks so much wCat. I appreciate that so much.

Realtor.com is the best site the public has access too, but it's still not updated like it should be. "Northern SA" is a vague term, so when you find your Realtor, let them know where you're going to be located specifically and how long of a commute you're looking for.

I know that what you're looking for is out there because I was recently looking for something similar for a client of mine. Keep your head up.

Get a good referral of a good Realtor here in town and let them find it for you. I assure you it's out there.
Kev, you should push for a website like Houston has! www.har.com is awesome. Everybody in the Houston area lists on there. It's a one-stop shop for everything Real Estate in the Houston area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio