Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 10:27 PM

244 posts, read 1,092,451 times

Advertisements

But ya know, I really do have a newfound respect for the Olmos Park/Monte Vista/Alamo Heights/Terrill Hills area because many of those residents are HIGHLY educated.

Let's imagine for a moment what it must be like for them...in a city this unsophisticated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2007, 11:09 PM

7 posts, read 42,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongHornGuy86 View Post
Agreed. SA is not a very educated city. That doesn't mean that some that go to UTSA are not academically astute. All you have to do is look at my writing capability to see that.

I'm not happy in SA or at UTSA but to suggest it's a glorified community college is wrong. I haven't seen any with Biotech buildings.

I just don't think SA is a very sophisticated or cultured city, and naturally establishments of higher education would reflect this.

I really do think that within 10 years, UTSA will be greatly improved.
Some food for thought--is Bryan, Texas a sophisticated and/or cultured city?

Old 04-15-2007, 11:39 PM

No. Dallas/Ft. Worth is by far the most sophisticated metro area in Texas. Various mueseums, top notch orchestra/symphonies, lots of upscale shopping/restaurants, music venues, tons of libraries.

Old 04-16-2007, 09:26 AM

944 posts, read 3,062,274 times
I did say it was a GLORIFIED community college, so that would account for a biotech building, right?

Old 04-16-2007, 12:00 PM

Oh hello, lighten up!

Just wait for anothet 10 years.

Old 08-30-2007, 02:44 PM

23 posts, read 125,591 times
Default UTSA is a good school (at least in the sciences)

I received my undergrad. and graduate degree in applied math at UTSA. I have received many job offers. Eventually, I moved to DC and currently working at a prestigious research lab in DC. Before, I was thinking about pursuing a PhD in math (UTSA is starting to offer one). I applied to many
TOP schools including NYU, University of Chicago (by the way, there is a faculty member from UTSA), and MIT. I received interviews at all schools, but eventually I chose to work, because of family. My point is that I received good training from UTSA and worked hard. UTSA math is not easy, you have to take an exam just to declare your major (UT-Austin doesn't do this). Tier just means how much money the school receiving, how many PhD's programs the school has, and so on. It does not measure the value of the education, and I can't stress this enough. I have a good job that pays well over 100K, but more importantly I enjoy my job. I not downplaying any school, but if you overcome the stereotype then you are free to do anything. I am proud of UTSA and the education I received from there. Honestly, I don't think I could of received a better education from UT-Austin.

Old 03-15-2008, 04:28 PM

2 posts, read 10,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongHornGuy86 View Post
Agreed. SA is not a very educated city. That doesn't mean that some that go to UTSA are not academically astute. All you have to do is look at my writing capability to see that.

I'm not happy in SA or at UTSA but to suggest it's a glorified community college is wrong. I haven't seen any with Biotech buildings.

I just don't think SA is a very sophisticated or cultured city, and naturally establishments of higher education would reflect this.

I really do think that within 10 years, UTSA will be greatly improved.

Not sophisticated or cultured??? It offers far maore sophistication than many "college" towns. College Station & Lubbock -- ???

Old 03-15-2008, 04:31 PM

218 posts, read 336,497 times
That poster was banned so it would seem he was a troll. Ignore it.

Also, this thread is a year old as well.

Old 12-17-2008, 01:03 PM

1 posts, read 3,102 times
what do you think abouth utsa?

Old 03-31-2011, 01:15 PM

2 posts, read 4,403 times
Default UTSA: Not Great, but Good Enough

I know this is an old thread, but I'd like to weigh in for the benefit of others who may stumble upon it looking for info about UTSA. I grew up in Houston, have lived and worked in San Antonio, and several of my immediate family members currently reside in SA. I've also known people who attended UTSA and I work in higher education in a state that borders Texas.

UTSA is a large, urban commuter school with relatively low admission standards, so it's simply not considered a "destination" campus by most locals, and certainly not by non-local Texas residents or folks from out of state. Having said that, I am a firm believer in the notion that the value of your college education is directly proportional to what you are willing to put into it. UTSA is a big enough place with enough good professors and good enough facilities for a mature, dedicated student to get a high-quality education there.

Also, it is possible to have the "total college experience" at a school like UTSA, but it will require a bit more determination and persistence than it would at a university with a larger on-campus resident population and big-time sports programs, for example. Again, UTSA is a large enough place with enough going on from day to day that most students who are looking to have a more traditional college experience will probably be content there, but the overall experience will undoubtedly be a bit watered-down compared to what you would find at a place like UT-Austin or Texas A&M, and school spirit and/or exciting extracurricular activities will be a significantly harder to find.

One other thought: Will a degree from UTSA wear well? It's only after a UTSA student graduates and begins to interact more with alumni of other schools, or perhaps attends graduate school at a place like UT-Austin, or maybe transfers to a larger, more prestigious school, that he/she begins to fully appreciate the ways in which a youngish commuter university like UTSA is lacking. Again, though, that's not to say a motivated student can't get a quality education and have an enriching and rewarding experience at UTSA.

Some UTSA grads I know are immensely proud of their UTSA degrees, while others admit they probably should have set their sights higher and attended a more prestigious school. It's really a mixed bag in this regard. A lot of whether your UTSA degree will "wear well" depends on your personality and also your level of career success and satisfaction following graduation. Those who go on to earn good money and have satisfying careers probably look to UTSA with gratitude and pride. For those who struggle following graduation, or feel their UTSA diploma has hindered them socially or professionally in any way (regardless of whether this feeling is warranted), will probably look at UTSA with regret or disdain or even shame. The school simply doesn't have a good enough reputation that a degree from UTSA speaks for itself. UTSA alumni are often on the defensive and may feel like they have more to prove than their colleagues who graduated from other more prestigious universities. Also, they might tend to blame UTSA if things don't turn out the way they planned.

Conversely, UT-Austin alumni will nearly always hold up their degrees with pride, and if they should happen to encounter career failures, will probably console themselves with the fact that they at least graduated from a "good school." Something to consider.

To my way of thinking, shopping for colleges is a lot like shopping for clothes. Some folks really need to have that designer label, while others couldn't care less. There might be some inherent differences in terms of quality or craftsmanship, but clothes-buying decisions are often basically dictated by vanity more than anything else. If you think you'll be comfortable down the road admitting that the sweater you're wearing was purchased at Target, then I wouldn't be too put off by the perception that UTSA is basically mediocre, since it's possible to get a good education at a school like UTSA. Personally, I don't mind wearing Target clothes. They're durable and serve their purpose, but admittedly represent a pretty bear-bones approach to fashion.

I realize the clothes analogy is imperfect, but it basically makes my point. In any case, I don't think attending UTSA is something that is particularly looked down upon by locals, so if you're worried there's a major stigma attached to going to school there, I would cast those fears aside. Of course, some assume UTSA students weren't "smart" enough to get into any other schools... and there are MANY more prestigious schools in Texas, but I wouldn't characterize that as the prevailing sentiment around San Antonio. Just as some will judge you based on the clothes you are wearing, some will judge you based on where you went to school. One word of caution: If you are particularly bright (I mean National Merit Scholar, 1,400+ SAT or Mensa member bright), you might find the intellectual climate at UTSA less than stimulating, at least among your fellow students, which could prove to be stifling and basically rather frustrating. Of course, UTSA is a large enough and diverse enough place that even exceptionally gifted students will find like-minded people there, but you will have to work much harder to find them. Again... you only get out of your education what you put into it.

One thing I will point out about UTSA. It's definitely ON THE RISE, and the administration there is clearly not content to sit still. I think most locals are aware of this fact, and while many folks might still look down their noses at it, most people around SA would probably say it's mediocre at worst, and that it's improving and growing all the time. The fact UTSA is adding a D1 football program is clear evidence the school is growing and also looking to expand and improve its national profile.

As for the poster who compared UTSA to what UT-Austin or Texas A&M were in the 80s, this is basically inaccurate and represents wishful thinking. A better comparison might be the University of Houston or maybe UTEP in the '60s or early '70s. UT-Austin, Texas A&M and Texas Tech (to a lesser extent) have enjoyed "premiere university" status (at least among public schools) in the state of Texas for half a century or more, and were definitely considered "destination" campuses throughout the state when I was growing up in Texas in the '70s and '80s. UTSA is a very young school (founded in 1969) with a relatively small alumni base and no real university pedigree. It will take a very long time for UTSA to ever attain the stature and/or reach of schools like UT-Austin or Texas A&M. Again, this doesn't mean you can't get an excellent education at UTSA. What's more, given UTSA's clear upward trajectory, and given the relatively low cost of tuition, I would not hesitate to send my own daughter there when she is finally of age, but then I'm the same guy who doesn't mind shopping for clothes at Target.

P.S. - I graduated from large state universities in CA and the Midwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio