Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2011, 06:03 PM

1,671 posts, read 3,827,048 times

Advertisements

Good Evening,

I'm was the process of putting up Christmas Lights (until everything came to an ubrupt halt) and I'm needing some advice....

With many homes there are breaks in the front elevation. I have three sections of lights and there are two areas where I want to plug them together but I've got a problem. As we all know outside extension cords have three prongs with the plug on Christmas Lights having two. I know there are adapters out there but as far as I know they are for inside use only. I don't know if there are any rated for outdoor use. Can I use an inside one outside to join the two sections of lights with a short outside extension cord? Both extension cords will be uder eaves and I can tuck everthing back and wrap the connections with electrical tape. Do they make an outside extension cord without the third prong? All lights will be plugged in to the house with a grounded extension cord.

*I cannot run one continuous light strand without it looking like crap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2011, 06:20 PM

4,304 posts, read 7,179,529 times
Yes, they do make outdoor-rated extension cords without the ground conductor. Personally I use a 100' long 14GA outdoor cord for my electric garden tools (like the leaf blower). It's a 2-conductor cord, since all my outdoor tools are "double insulated", and lack the grounding conductor.

Look for a cord that is listed as suitable for outdoor use.

Old 12-03-2011, 06:25 PM

Thank you for the GREAT Information. I would assume if they are made in 100' then I should be able to purchase a much shorter one.

Old 12-03-2011, 06:25 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,758,890 times
I plug my outdoor Christmas lights into an extension cord that has a hole for the third prong, even though the lights only have two prongs. I didn't know there was anything wrong with doing it that way...kind of like the way electrical outlets in the house have holes for three prongs but lamps and such only have two prongs.

Most strings of lights will say how many you can connect to each other. I would guess that conneccting them with an extension cord would still mean you shouldn't exceed that number of strings connected and going to a single plug. Something about long cords being more likely to catch fire...

Old 12-03-2011, 08:30 PM

7,106 posts, read 11,761,530 times
The issue w/the number of cords connected is because of the wire size of the lamp system itself - they're made as cheaply as possible, which means the wire size is nominal, so you run the risk of overheated/melting/shorting.

As to "outdoor" vs "indoor" rated cords....that's generally for "continuous use. I've got regular 2-lead indoor extension cords that I use every year for the lights outside as "patch cords" - and have used the same ones for probably 10+ years w/o a problem. I just tape up the junction points well w/electrical tape, and try to put them in where they get as little rain as possible - or at very least, don't get immersed in water. Have never had one short out.

Old 12-03-2011, 09:25 PM

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR YOUR SUGGESTIONS AND ADVICE.

Hopefully I can finish what I started first thing in the morning.....before any rain comes our way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: