Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 12:55 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,019,120 times

Advertisements

Here we go again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 01:32 PM

18,123 posts, read 25,266,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonfresh View Post
I hope you're not including me in the "you guys" comment because that's not my definition of diversity. Not even close.
If "Youguys" is your lastname... then I'm talking about you

Old 06-03-2009, 06:56 PM

175 posts, read 303,737 times
To the OP:

As a black woman I think you will find San Antonio to be rather disappointing in terms of diversity. As has been previously stated, San Antonio's culture is influenced by and largely confined to the "Anglo"/Latino sort. In fact, before moving here, I had never heard the term 'Anglo' in reference to whites.

In many ways, living in San Antonio is like living in Mexico. The city is very heavy on Mexican cultural influences, such as the yearly Fiesta event or the disproportionate number of (subpar) Mexican cuisine found throughout the city. The 'Anglo' aspect, which by the way is primarily of the German sort, is largely self-segregated in the neighborhoods of north central San Antonio, while the west, south, and parts of the north side are largely Hispanic. The east side has been historically black.

While one can find diversity in certain neighborhoods, such as the largely middle-class northwest side of the city, I think it's unrealistic to suggest that San Antonio is inclusive of ethnicities/races from outside of the "Anglo"/Hispanic norm. As a white man, I've been present on far too many occassions where I've heard off-putting or disparaging remarks about blacks in all-white or white/Hispanic circles. It may not be in-your-face racism, but I'd venture to say blacks aren't very "popular" in San Antonio. People may be outwardly nice to your face, but there's a definitive black bias that has been observed by myself and other African-Americans I've spoke to.

To be completely honest with you, I don't think San Antonio is right for you. It's very insular, provincial, and very blue collar. While having a degree here puts you in the top twenty percent of the population in terms of earning potential (half the population doesn't make it out of highschool), salaries in San Antonio have historically been lower in every industry in comparison to other metros, including Austin.

Lastly, San Antonio is the most backward large city in Texas (in comparison to Austin, Dallas, and Houston), and is largely looked down upon for that very reason. Yes, even in Texas, a state notorious for backwardness. I say forget San Antonio and move to Austin instead.

Old 06-03-2009, 07:10 PM

175 posts, read 303,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaGrace View Post
Hispanics are also white - they're Caucasian. Hispanic is an ethnic and cultural designation, rather than its own separate race.
Some are, some are not. Europeans from Spain or Portugal may self-identify as Hispanic, but their genotypes are prototypically European. The same goes for many Europeans from central/south America.

The Hispanics in San Antonio (speaking broadly) do not demonstrate a largely predominate European phenotype (physical appearance). The skin is slightly darker, the hair dark brown or black, and the features more rounded, as opposed to the sharp angles of whites.

The Hispanics here demonstrate some Mongoloid (which could or could not be Native American) admixture, but predominately, most Hispanics in San Antonio are descendents of indigenous Mexicans, who usually are a combination of Mongoloid/Caucasoid in phenotype and genotype.

Old 06-03-2009, 07:33 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,779,133 times
L3XVS, I'll ask you like I've done a couple of times before, and like before I expect for to bail out and not respond, but please own up to your bogus claims. Give me five legit examples of "backward" actions for San Antonio as a city/metro. No, not some individual petty gripe or some opinionated BS. Something legit. Come on, don't do like the many other times you've made claims and never backed them up.

Answer my question.

Old 06-04-2009, 05:23 AM

1 posts, read 2,110 times
Well, I've been here for 6 months now and at first I wasn't too crazy about it because I didn't se enough of me here however I gave it a chance and slowly but surely I began to meet different people of my own race. I wouldn't say that it is diverse like Seattle, Washington. But I like it. If you decided to move to San Antonio, Texas there are allot of meetup groups that you should look into and thats how you will be able to network. The web site is: Meetup Groups.com. Anyway, I moved here to start over from a divorce and so far I'm cool with my location. Just have to get use to this kind of humid heat in Texas is all. Good luck with your decision sweetie and let me know how it turns out.

Old 06-04-2009, 08:49 AM

1,552 posts, read 2,328,448 times
L3VS - has some weird ax to grind. I've live in major and diverse metropolitian areas and San Antonio is quite pleasant and without the racial tension you can see elsewhere.

Just BS.

Old 06-04-2009, 12:10 PM

284 posts, read 1,086,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L3XVS View Post
To the OP:
The 'Anglo' aspect, which by the way is primarily of the German sort, is largely self-segregated in the neighborhoods of north central San Antonio,

Lastly, San Antonio is the most backward large city in Texas (in comparison to Austin, Dallas, and Houston), and is largely looked down upon for that very reason. Yes, even in Texas, a state notorious for backwardness. I say forget San Antonio and move to Austin instead.
Wow...interesting post. I'm not sure about the predominance of German descendants in the population. Just because New Braunfels is nearby doesn't mean most white people in San Antonio are of German descent. As an example, both sides of my family have lived in San Antonio for a few generations and there are no German ancestors on either side. Most "Anglos" that I know here are like me and have ancestors from many different countries and some even have Native American ancestry.

Old 06-04-2009, 01:52 PM

1,086 posts, read 3,359,385 times
I've been here exactly 8 mo, and from what I experienced both at work and just living here in SA there seems to be a higher amount of racism, maybe it's due to the good ol boy mentality of the South.

I've noticed areas are segregated more than mixed.

Old 06-04-2009, 02:18 PM

1,552 posts, read 2,328,448 times
In the Pacific NW, there were organized gangs of racists that stalked people of color. In major east coast cities, if a person of color walked or drove into a white neighborhood, they easily could get attacked by the residents of that area.

SA has had some trouble with police sometimes profiling people of color in the more affluent neighborhoods - but I haven't seen the horror shows you see elsewhere. If you've experienced deliberately racist White police, then you see trouble.

The segregation of folks in SA is more economic than deliberately racial, IMHO. In my neighborhood, the homeowners are diverse and my neighborhood is solid middle class.

I grant you that some workplaces might be this or that but you have to compare against the rest of the country and SA is not that bad.

If you lived in some garden spot as compared to SA - post the comparison. Boston, NYC, Chicago, Philadelphia - are we anything like them. I think not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio