U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 11:19 PM

322 posts, read 505,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tindo80 View Post
Thanks man. Unfortunately I dont live in SA anymore, and havent had a library card since community college.
haha, doh!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2009, 11:11 AM

986 posts, read 1,035,555 times
L3VS - the reason we compare to other cities is because some of us understand research design. If you claim SA is so crappy, you need a reference base. And you do have some weird axe to grind and little knowledge of how bad race relations can be.

Boring, bashers - SA is affordable, reasonable culture - a lower level of segregation and local crappola chauvinism as compared to elsewhere. Try Gary, Indiana or Detroit. Geez.

Old 06-08-2009, 11:27 AM

427 posts, read 393,383 times
[quote=lemonfresh;9145353]
There's that, there's also the fact that if the city released land allowing for suburbs to be had the tax revenue base would shrink substantially meaning less money could be used by the city. I'm not sure if you knew this, (wait, yes you do) but the suburban areas of San Antonio are the wealthiest areas of the city they also feature many businesses as the real financial hub of SA is centered at 10/410. So we'd be creating great middle- upper middle class suburbs at the same time crippling SA's overall tax intake and budget. Yay!! How "foward!"

I completely agree with your statement. Every time the city annexes an area an analysis is done to see if revenue brought in offsets cost of city services, in other words stay in the black. The southside annexation was to control growth around the Toyota plant. I don't see how large wealthy suburbs help a city, sure they may attend the opera, symphony etc but they don't help the central city's bottom line with the millions lost in tax revenue. Houston and SA know this, ask Detroit if surrounded by suburbs has worked for them as their central city rots and has very limited ways of raising revenue. Their are several cities that continue losing population year after year as more people flee to the suburbs as those cities struggle to maintain city services with dwindling revenue. SA's policy on annexation is foward thinking not backwards. SA's bond rate I believe is triple A an excellent rating if the city's finances were poor they wouldn't receive such a good rating.

Last edited by BillyH; 06-08-2009 at 11:41 AM..

Old 06-09-2009, 10:58 AM

175 posts, read 118,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEM-Texas View Post
L3VS - the reason we compare to other cities is because some of us understand research design. If you claim SA is so crappy, you need a reference base. And you do have some weird axe to grind and little knowledge of how bad race relations can be.

Boring, bashers - SA is affordable, reasonable culture - a lower level of segregation and local crappola chauvinism as compared to elsewhere. Try Gary, Indiana or Detroit. Geez.
So because I have a different interpretation of San Antonio and its culture than you, I have some so-called "weird ax" to grind? Some of us clearly understand the concept of differing opinions and how it relates to how different people see things.

Furthermore, as someone who's lived in Chicago and LA, I find it laughable that you can sit there and tell me that I have little knowledge of the history of race relations in major cities.

So you're comparing San Antonio to Gary, Indiana? A town twelve times smaller than San Antonio founded in the early 1900s on the back of the then-burgeoning steel industry, now rife with urban decay, crime, and high unemployment rates.

Get over it!

Old 06-09-2009, 12:13 PM

10,453 posts, read 10,199,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L3XVS View Post
Furthermore, as someone who's lived in Chicago and LA, I find it laughable that you can sit there and tell me that I have little knowledge of the history of race relations in major cities.
You won't get much from those cities,
might want to try St. Louis/East St. Louis, Memphis, New Orleans, etc.

Another reason San Antonio is diverse, is the number of people that you find from other states (not neighboiring states)
I've seen more license plates from Alaska, Wisconsin, etc. in San Antonio in less than a year than I saw in Missouri (St. Louis, Kansas City) in 15 years.

Old 06-11-2009, 11:41 PM

2,161 posts, read 2,472,444 times
Sure there are a few segregated areas, mostly due to historical reasons, but people move to SA,(including black, asian and nationalities as well) do not move to a specific neighborhood(i.e. blacks moving to a black neighborhood, chinese making a china town) but instead mix up. And I can say that I have never felt uncomfortable. Sure there will be stupid people, but I don't think this city is as racist as any other.

So as a black woman, I can answer this poster's question that San Antonio is an good choice for a black person, but then again, my experience will differ from others.

Old 07-22-2009, 11:11 AM

1 posts, read 915 times
Hi Dawn, I'm a San Antonio native who moved away to Houston to get my degree and came back home about 3 years ago. I'm also African American and will admit San Antonio's not as diverse as Houston is. But it might be easier for you to tap into this market being that Houston is much more saturated than we are. With the way the city is growing so, you might be more likely to find opportunities here. Either way, good luck. And make sure you pick up the Current when and if you do move/visit.

Old 12-04-2010, 08:03 PM

1 posts, read 612 times
Hi Dawn,

I'm afraid San Antonio is not a success story for America. The Latino population sees itself as very separate and insistent upon acheiving what is seen by some as a neo-colonial dominance. As a native I am embarrassed to say that that appears to be the case.

During the recent elections the Latino candidates made very clear appeals to "remembering where they came from". As an older Texan--that is the same language/code that White supremiscists used following integration. What the sociologists call disproportionality largely applies to the self isolationist ethos.

The Adfrican American culture is misunderstood here. My sense is that you will not be all that comfortable with the entilement that the various groups here express.

On the other hand, Austin and Houston attach a great deal of value to education and by and large understand the value of innovation and contribution. The issue is not so much that SA will not welcome you. It just has little to offer and is likely to ignore you if you are competetive.

Part of life is finding a mate--I would think SA would be tough to find character, education, and a committment to excellence. Before coming do look at our crime rate, drop out rate, illitercy, etc. demographics--they pretty much speak for themselves.

Best wishes,

Old 12-04-2010, 10:07 PM

10,453 posts, read 10,199,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by triminsanantonio View Post
Hi Dawn,

I'm afraid San Antonio is not a success story for America. The Latino population sees itself as very separate and insistent upon acheiving what is seen by some as a neo-colonial dominance. As a native I am embarrassed to say that that appears to be the case.

During the recent elections the Latino candidates made very clear appeals to "remembering where they came from". As an older Texan--that is the same language/code that White supremiscists used following integration. What the sociologists call disproportionality largely applies to the self isolationist ethos.
Latinos in San Antonio are proud of their culture just like Irish in Boston, germans in New Braunfels/Fredericksburg, italians in New York or chinese people in San Francisco.
Sometime, go ahead and explain us what you mean with "neo-colonial dominance"

Latino candidates used the "We remember where we are from"
just like every other politician did in the United States.....
especially one comes to mind, that is always talking about "mama grizzlies" and "moose burgers".

And your comparison to pro-segregation white supremacists is very insulting.
Have you seen anybody getting kicked out of a business because they weren't "the right color"?

Old 12-04-2010, 10:38 PM

5,078 posts, read 4,390,574 times
Diversity means variety. You don't hand someone a basket of apples and oranges and say you've given them a variety of fruits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio