U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 09:42 PM

15,062 posts, read 19,621,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meisha210 View Post
Diversity means variety. You don't hand someone a basket of apples and oranges and say you've given them a variety of fruits.
It all depends on your definition of diversity, because all apples and all oranges are not the same.

In the same way, there's a lot of people in San Antonio that look the same and come from California, Ohio, Minnesota, New York, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2010, 09:49 PM

6,998 posts, read 10,235,462 times
But you can usually tell an apple's an apple. They all have a similar flavor, aroma, and appearance.

Old 12-04-2010, 10:04 PM

Quote:
But you can usually tell an apple's an apple. They all have a similar flavor, aroma, and appearance.
I don't go around tasting and smelling people

Old 12-04-2010, 10:15 PM

My point is that the underlying culture and cohesiveness within a certain group is still the same. Some people would rather have apples, oranges, bananas, kiwis, etc. instead of just different kinds of apples and oranges. Eating apples all day everyday gets a bit boring even if you're eating different kinds.

Old 12-04-2010, 10:32 PM

3,669 posts, read 5,897,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by triminsanantonio View Post
Hi Dawn,

I'm afraid San Antonio is not a success story for America. The Latino population sees itself as very separate and insistent upon acheiving what is seen by some as a neo-colonial dominance. As a native I am embarrassed to say that that appears to be the case.

During the recent elections the Latino candidates made very clear appeals to "remembering where they came from". As an older Texan--that is the same language/code that White supremiscists used following integration. What the sociologists call disproportionality largely applies to the self isolationist ethos.
Further explanation on what you mean by "neo-colonialism dominance" would be appreciated.

It seems some do not truly understand the exact composition of the 'Latino' population.

Where did we come from? Well first of all we are not a huge monolithic population with the same exact identity.

Some are Mexican-Americans, usually Tejanos who have been here for generations, well before the arrival of others. Others are newly arrived Mexican immigrants. Then there are others from varied ports and destinations, Guatemalans, Argentinians, and even Basques.

We all have different cultures, come from different places, with different foods, dialects, levels of assimilation and acculturation.

Then we have married into each others families. My very own has old school Tejanos, dating back to the 1800s, Catholic German immigrants also going back to the 1800's, Mexican immigrants who arrived during the Mexican Revolution, more recently arrived Mexican immigrants who arrived in the 60's all the way up until this decade, vanilla white Americans, also Lebanese ancestry, Apache, and even a Prussian influence has made their way into just one single family.

It is true we all now consider ourselves Mexican-Americans, or just Mexicans, and English is our primary language, even if some of us know good enough Spanish to work speaking it on an international level, and most of us knowing the regional dialect of Tex-Mex or Spanglish as a more intimate way to speak with each other.

We also recognize we are different than the average Hispanic immigrant who might not speak English, or who still does not consider this home. We are Texans first then Americans.

We can also recognize that throughout the passage of time we are constantly being infused with more recent immigrants and this is not going to stop anytime soon. We accept others into the fold and their children will become Texans first and then Americans before they consider themselves from being anywhere or else.

We have members who have served in the military dating back to WWII up to today's current conflicts.

For anyone to claim we are not Americans and wish to retain speaking Spanish and consider ourselves not Americans simply does not understand. Most first generation immigrants might fall into that category but their children will be English speaking Americans. This is the same exact pattern all other immigrant groups, be they from Europe, or Asia, have demonstrated, where they identify as Americans.

It is true there is a large influx of recently arrived Mexican immigrants, as well as those from other countries who might be considered Latino, who for various reasons have formed their own communities, and whose children are being taught in Spanish in school.

No one in my family falls under that category. Though I recognize by time those children are in high school they will speak English. Their communities will slowly change and become Americanized. The West Side most likely has more second, third, and even beyond the fourth generation of residents who consider themselves Americans first.

The South and East sides might have more of the newly arrived first generation immigrants who recently arrived and who might not consider themselves as full-fledged Americans, but their children attending SAISD schools do as will their children in the future.

You can still go to various places in the United States where some mix their old ways with new American ones. Boston still has a huge amount of residents who consider themselves Irish, eating some of the old foods, celebrating with huge parades, though they are all Americans.

Connecticut has plenty of Italians who are Americans. Polish in Chicago. Ukranians in Chicago. Indians (from India) in Detroit. Cubans in Florida. Puerto Ricans in New York.

For someone to claim that in San Antonio the rules are somehow different, well their view does not reflect on the local Hispanic population as being divisive. Rather the person postulating that the same rules do not apply to us here are the ones who are demonstrating they have a divisive view.

Spoiler
Records show Tejanos served in the Civil War though I have not found any within my own family nor have I bothered to look. I do know my family participated in the low intensity conflict that occurred in the Nueces Triangle. One of my great-uncles killed at least one Texas Ranger and did not stick around to find out if he got the other while hunting one day on the kineña (The King Ranch) which was considered common hunting grounds before the ranch was established.

He came home, said they began shooting at him instead of just arresting him as they should have, packed, and left never to be heard from again. The last name of that branch of the family was Charles, pronounced in a Spanish way, but you have to wonder who married into the family because it is not a typical Spanish surname.

Last edited by Merovee; 12-04-2010 at 10:46 PM..

Old 12-04-2010, 10:37 PM

Most of the Hispanics here are of Mexican descent. The next largest Hispanic population here Puerto Rican and I can count all of the Puerto Ricans I've met in my whole life on my hands. I don't agree that Hispanics refuse to be American, but every ethnic group has its own culture within the American culture and there are significant differences between them. There is not one way to be American.

I would also not see diversity in a city where the majority of the people are white even if they had different groups such as the Polish, Italians, and Irish. They have intermarried a lot, so there is still a degree of cohesiveness between these groups.

Old 12-05-2010, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Most of the Hispanics here are of Mexican descent. The next largest Hispanic population here Puerto Rican and I can count all of the Puerto Ricans I've met in my whole life on my hands.
I don't know how many fingers you have in your hand,
but this article says that 3000 people celebrated the "Puerto Rican Festival" in San Antonio last month.
About 3,000 celebrate local Puerto Rican Festival - San Antonio Express-News

The article says that Puertoricans make up 1% of Bexar county's population.

Old 12-05-2010, 01:12 PM

2,189 posts, read 2,391,639 times
black population is relatively small, but the city is growing, and I can imagine more blacks coming in from that growth.

Old 12-05-2010, 01:32 PM

2,161 posts, read 3,977,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I don't know how many fingers you have in your hand,
but this article says that 3000 people celebrated the "Puerto Rican Festival" in San Antonio last month.
About 3,000 celebrate local Puerto Rican Festival - San Antonio Express-News

The article says that Puertoricans make up 1% of Bexar county's population.
I didn't know that there was a festival but that is good that there is one. It seems like the city is starting to promote festivals of other heritages more now.

Old 12-05-2010, 03:08 PM

2,790 posts, read 5,168,693 times
I agree with Meisha. I believe that this is the most "non" diverse place I have lived.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or