U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 02:16 PM

325 posts, read 458,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpd33 View Post
Yeah, that doesn't seem to be her skillset though. I'd hardly call Microsoft app knowledge "IT".

I agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 02:29 PM

16 posts, read 35,375 times
I work in software development and the answer to your question is unhelpfully: "it depends". IT is such a broad field that you can't really talk about a generic IT job market. You can't even talk about a generic software development environment because you could have a lot of openings in Java jobs but the .Net arena is dried up. Not to mention networking, security, or management.

What may help you is an understanding of what industries are in San Antonio and how IT may relate to those:

-Defense Contracting: Lots of IT contractors in the city tied to Lackland and Randolph however these tend to involve high skill sets and security clearances
-Healthcare: This is a whole different subset of IT from what I've gathered but there are a lot of healthcare employers in town from the UT Health Science Center to numerous hospitals and research companies
-Financial: USAA is the biggie that tends to hire a good number of IT people. Cap Group is another. Just read the news however to see how well this industry is doing. They may not be hiring much.
-Technical/Consulting: These are the Rackspaces of the city in addition to various consulting companies (Decphyer, Catapult, Computer Solutions, etc.). If they have a broad client portfolio they may be doing pretty well, it really depends.
-Education: School districts and universities usually need IT types, we have lots of both.

Old 06-02-2009, 03:24 PM

246 posts, read 378,575 times
Thank you all so much. What I do is a lot of reporting with my SQL skills. I've created Access databases. I've worked with SQL 2000 in cases where Access could not handle the number of results I've pulled from our Practice Management System. I currenlty work in Healthcare. I have a degree in MIS and another in Sociology. I want to get with a company that will allow me to grow in IT. I love all of the challenges that IT offers, and I'm hoping that my skillset will make me marketable in either San Antonio or Austin.

Old 06-02-2009, 03:49 PM

322 posts, read 473,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelightful View Post
Thank you all so much. What I do is a lot of reporting with my SQL skills. I've created Access databases. I've worked with SQL 2000 in cases where Access could not handle the number of results I've pulled from our Practice Management System. I currenlty work in Healthcare. I have a degree in MIS and another in Sociology. I want to get with a company that will allow me to grow in IT. I love all of the challenges that IT offers, and I'm hoping that my skillset will make me marketable in either San Antonio or Austin.
You may be in the right area! There are plenty of hospitals and med-related companies in SA. Whether they're hiring or not is a different story

Get your resume out there as soon as you can.. there are job fairs that occur regularly here. If you can travel down here to attend several job fairs that would definitely help. Since you're in the healthcare industry already, is there anyway you can reach out to folks who work here, in the same field? Maybe you have Resellers or an MS rep or a healthcare-specific product rep you could talk to who knows this area or has a colleague who can give you an idea of which companies might be hiring? When I was looking for a new job that was how I networked. Take advantage of the work relationships you've established and get a feel for what's going on in the industry.

Not to sound preachy (sorry - probably too late!), but make sure you use specifics in your resume! Point out specific technologies, development languages, operating systems, software packages, hardware -- and quantify how you improved your organization. Numbers are good! Show that you've re-wrote a SQL query that used to take 4 hours to run and now it takes 15 minutes. Give some cold hard facts if you can! I'm a database guy so my resume always has very specific buzzwords that people in my industry know and look for.

I've looked at some pretty HORRIBLE resumes before...

I actually had one applicant with ~20 years of "IT" experience with a 1 page resume. Ok, you might say maybe he was just highlighting his skills and didn't want to bore you with the details until you contacted him for a formal interview. Welp, almost half ~(40%) of his page was taken up with 3 references -- not like Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, Jeff Bezos but 3 guys who nobody knows. His skills weren't even the entire page! He used phrases like "expert in several database systems," "managed over 200 people." Uhh...

Last time I checked, anyone who said they were an expert in anything gladly included their education, credentials, certifications, etc on the first page of their resume! And I didn't know if he meant 200 people at one time or 200 people over his entire career. Brilliant!

My boss and I were tempted to call him just to find out WTF he did and what made him this this resume would make it into the keep pile at any organization. I still remember his name.. I guess he did get my attention, unfortunately for the wrong reasons

Oh, and look at Linkedin.com -- update your profile and look at the networks they have available. When I interviewed for my current job I knew the entire work history, education, and skills of my boss and I told him how I could help the team. They looked at me cross-eyed and said, you just answered questions to problems we didn't know we had yet... we hadn't gotten that far in the implementation of this product!

//end rant//

Old 06-02-2009, 05:43 PM

2,169 posts, read 4,397,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RackerHudnall View Post
Hi Dawn,

Take a good look at Rackspace, http://RackspaceCareers.com, we are hiring in San Antonio and have an office location in Austin. Let me know if you have any questions I'd be glad to help where I can.

Good to see this.. and dont believe it.. I know of a couple of people who have put in applications to Rackspace.. and have yet to get the courtesy of a phone call or a letter saying they have not been considered for the job.. what gives?

Old 06-02-2009, 05:49 PM

246 posts, read 378,575 times
Thank you very much. I will keep everything you've all said in mind. Hopefully, I will be able to find a place w/in IT for myself.

Old 06-03-2009, 07:08 AM

667 posts, read 986,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deek102 View Post
You may be in the right area! There are plenty of hospitals and med-related companies in SA. Whether they're hiring or not is a different story
Excellent suggestion. The medical field here (hospitals, research groups, etc.) would probably fit best with your skillset (what very little I know of it) as well as provide you a way to grow/advance with time and experience. I don't recommend Rackspace with your given education and goals.

Old 06-03-2009, 07:12 AM

302 posts, read 351,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RackerHudnall View Post
Hi Dawn,

Take a good look at Rackspace, http://RackspaceCareers.com, we are hiring in San Antonio and have an office location in Austin. Let me know if you have any questions I'd be glad to help where I can.
It's decent to have Rackspace on your resume..but being a former employee, it isn't all that great a place to work.

Old 06-03-2009, 07:15 AM

302 posts, read 351,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man in SATX View Post
Good to see this.. and dont believe it.. I know of a couple of people who have put in applications to Rackspace.. and have yet to get the courtesy of a phone call or a letter saying they have not been considered for the job.. what gives?
They didn't have what Rackspace was looking for. Those guys get thousands of resumes a day. Guess it just didn't grab their attention.

Old 06-03-2009, 08:44 AM

60 posts, read 85,413 times
I spent a while looking for a programming job and from what I could see was that the few out there were looking for people with lots of experience. People entering the workforce (in this industry) are not being treated too well. I think the industry is down elsewhere too but I wonder if it is as bad as in SA. SA was never really a powerhouse as I understand so I am not quite sure if this is a lul or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio