Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 02:48 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,387,646 times

Advertisements

There are plenty of IT jobs here in SA, but like someone mentioned before, a lot of them are military related and require security clearances. If you have one, you're gold and have plenty of options. As far as Rackspace, they are very picky. I worked there for a couple weeks and felt like a noob most of the time. I also work with a guy that just came from there and he is a networking guru that also can pick up almost anything else across all different operating systems. It's great to work around people like that because there is so much to learn from them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 03:11 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,050,957 times
Ehh....

Depends.

I keep hearing that there is more in Houston and Dallas right now, especially for career advancement. But what do I know. This is just what others in IT are telling me.

IMO Austin is saturated with IT workers, which isn't great for people looking for a job.

Old 06-03-2009, 07:41 PM

165 posts, read 463,849 times
GlobalSCAPE has a few openings right now.

Old 06-03-2009, 08:35 PM

109 posts, read 517,944 times
I've been keeping a list of local companies that hire IT. You may want to go directly to each site and check out their openings. Good luck and welcome to SA.

gov contractors:
SAIC
MacB
Northrop-Grumman
BAE
General Dynamics
Lockheed Martin

microsoft
unitedhealth care
swri.org
usaa
Valero
Wachovia
Accenture
Rackspace
Harcourt
KCI
HEB
Onboard software
alcoa
GlobalSCAPE

Old 06-05-2009, 09:30 AM

14 posts, read 46,120 times
Default Desktop IT Jobs?

How about Desktop Support / Field Support IT jobs? What is the current status of these? Specifically, I am one of the "all around" techs that support Desktop, Laptop, Printer, Peripherals, Remote Access, Software/application, Software pushes, Phones, wiring and cross connecting, server backups, and minor support for the Servers/Switches and phone switches since there is no local LAN/WAN team. Where I am at now, I am the only IT representative supporting 2 buildings with 400 associates, with an insurance call center, sales reps, software programmers and other related departments. How does the market in Austin/San Antonio look for someone with this type of skillset? I had a Top Secret Clearance a long (16 years) ago, and don't know what the status is, if its gone, just inactive or what. I have been looking to relocate to the area from Ohio for years, and now that I received notice my position has been outsourced, the time may be now.

Thanks

Old 07-10-2009, 10:31 PM

1,035 posts, read 4,465,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelightful View Post
Thank you all so much. What I do is a lot of reporting with my SQL skills. I've created Access databases. I've worked with SQL 2000 in cases where Access could not handle the number of results I've pulled from our Practice Management System. I currenlty work in Healthcare. I have a degree in MIS and another in Sociology. I want to get with a company that will allow me to grow in IT. I love all of the challenges that IT offers, and I'm hoping that my skillset will make me marketable in either San Antonio or Austin.
Look at Dell. This is an area they are expanding, especially in services.

Old 07-10-2009, 11:13 PM

4,843 posts, read 3,270,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmaz View Post
... I had a Top Secret Clearance a long (16 years) ago, and don't know what the status is, if its gone, just inactive or what...
Almost certainly at the 'start over' point for secrurity clearance... but be sure to include that you had one before on resumes.

Old 07-11-2009, 10:08 AM

422 posts, read 756,874 times
My brother-in-law's brother just got laid off for IT last week and I believe he's Tier 3 look here

USAJOBS - The Federal Government's Official Jobs Site and click under San Antonio or Fort Sam Houston plenty of IT jobs in there many of my soldiers work in IT at Randolph. I work in IT but only as a Reservist but I could possibly work as an IT in San Antonio there is jobs. But IT sector is one of those sectors that you can cut people and increase the workload on others very easily if you've been in IT you know what I mean, try that usa jobs site, I went in there last month lots of jobs in the bases for IT in there good luck

Old 07-12-2009, 12:44 PM

205 posts, read 602,989 times
Some questions relating to this thread: If you don't have security clearance, can you apply for it? Or the employers just (background) check up on you? Like if you're "clean" and a US Citizen, a security clearance should be a no biggie right? From the responses here, IT is seems to be healthy, not necessarily "hot" but still good. But then a question to help better analyze the market: How does the IT job availability in SA compare with the pool of qualified candidates? Considering people coming from other states, unemployed/laid off IT workers, recent college graduates with IT related degrees. And by IT, I mean the following, though we should breakdown the candidate pool vs job availability analysis for each: programming & software development helpdesk and tech support system & network admin Not familiar with SA but with other cities that are IT/tech heavy, even if there are numerous jobs available, you're competing with a lot of folks, some laid off, so you got to be "good" with your skills, or your "marketing" of yourself.

Old 07-12-2009, 12:48 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,822,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daluu View Post
Some questions relating to this thread: If you don't have security clearance, can you apply for it? Or the employers just (background) check up on you? Like if you're "clean" and a US Citizen, a security clearance should be a no biggie right? From the responses here, IT is seems to be healthy, not necessarily "hot" but still good. But then a question to help better analyze the market: How does the IT job availability in SA compare with the pool of qualified candidates? Considering people coming from other states, unemployed/laid off IT workers, recent college graduates with IT related degrees. And by IT, I mean the following, though we should breakdown the candidate pool vs job availability analysis for each: programming & software development helpdesk and tech support system & network admin Not familiar with SA but with other cities that are IT/tech heavy, even if there are numerous jobs available, you're competing with a lot of folks, some laid off, so you got to be "good" with your skills, or your "marketing" of yourself.
I believe that the "security clearance" that these guys are talking about is A LOT more involved than just a "US citizen and background" check that you get with most jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio