Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 02:00 PM

26 posts, read 77,619 times

Advertisements

Hello,
Relocating soon to SA area. I ride a VStar 1100 with BUB straight pipes. Are straights legal in TX?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 02:08 PM

27 posts, read 69,464 times
Yes, I believe so. A friend of mine has them and he's never had any problems.

Old 06-02-2009, 03:04 PM

Thanks! Are most establishments biker friendly? I don't mean gang type, just regular folk who like to ride.

Old 06-02-2009, 03:22 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,978,388 times
Motorcycles are accepted here, but not by other drivers. Many folks don't recognize your right to be on the road, and I would recommend extreme caution if you are riding inside of 1604 especially during rush hour traffic!

But, for weekend riding there is no better place than the Texas Hill Country! Lots of scenic roads, great towns to visit and some of the best eatin' in the state!

I would recommend Two-Wheeled Texans as a good site to find others to ride with, or for recommendation on places to ride. They also do monthly pie runs that can be a lot of fun!

Oh, and despite not being required to by law; please wear a helmet and the appropriate gear when riding here! Many of the motorcycle fatalities in San Antonio involve alcohol and/or not wearing a helmet...

Cheers! M2

Old 06-03-2009, 06:50 AM

Hi Majormadmax
Thanks very much for your very informative post. My husband and I always wear our helmets as we believe in doing all WE can to return safely. Of course one needs "eyes behind ones head" when riding. Can't tell you how many close calls we have had due to the stupidity of other drivers.
As far as alcohol goes, we have a little tradition: we never drink while riding, but when we get home, we toast with some, to celebrate another successful ride.
We look forward to getting to our new home state soon!

Pat

Old 06-03-2009, 08:38 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,978,388 times
Pat

Good to hear, too many crazies out there riding around with no protective gear whatsoever. And it's not just the cruisers but also the sportbike types as well!

You most definitely like the weather down here compared to Connecticut, except it is almost in reverse. Our "severe" season is summer, when the heat gets really bad. I have a 1000cc sportbike which I will wear full leathers and gear plus a full-faced helmet. I also have a 1100cc sport-tourer which I will sometimes regress to wearing jeans and a mesh riding jacket (but still gloves, boots and full-faced helmet). It can get rather toasty!

I normally take one of those backpack hydration systems (e.g. Camelbak) and make frequent stops to rest in the shade. If you get deep into the Texas Hill Country, places to get something to drink can be few and far between, so it is always a good idea to take something with you! Another good idea are those sport shirts that allow a lot of airflow (e.g. UnderArmor). If you don't have one of those, you can always take a regular t-shirt and soak it in water, twist most of it out then put it on. The cooling effect is amazing!

I also have some of those neck bandanas that you leave in the freezer and they stay cool for most of the day. It is unbelievable how much a cool neck will make the rest of you feel cool as well! We used those in the military, and I see them for sale cheap at WalMart.

Oh, and you may want to check out this site...

Texas Motorcycle Laws (http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/msb/txmclaws.htm - broken link)*

It is the Texas Department of Public Safety's motorcycle web site. Under Section 2 is the law on exhausts...

Quote:
TRC §547.604.

MUFFLER REQUIRED.

(a) A motor vehicle shall be equipped with a muffler in good working condition that continually operates to prevent excessive or unusual noise.

(b) A person may not use a muffler cutout, bypass, or similar device on a motor vehicle.
Not sure how your straight pipes will be accepted given that law, there is a lot of leeway to the above statute therefore it will be the police officer's discretion as to whether to ticket you or not. And even if you beat the ticket in court, it is a pain to have to deal with it. Just something to consider...

Cheers! M2

* - p.s. You can download the entire DPS motorcycle website into one PDF file here (http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/msb/documents/TexasMotorcycleLaws08.pdf - broken link)!

Old 06-03-2009, 02:42 PM

Hey, you're the best! I didn't know about some of those cooling items you mention. Will definitely look into that. Also, thanks for the website, too!
Geez, really don't want to get new pipes. I guess, I'll just wing it! Actually, my husband is jealous because his Roadstar 1700 has mufflered pipes! I bought it used from the dealer that way.
Know what you mean about the leathers. Only once did I not wear my leathers, it was 95 degrees with 98 percent humidity. I couldn't stand it.
Hey maybe some day we can all take a ride to the Hill country!

Old 06-03-2009, 04:31 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,819,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcycle Girl View Post
Only once did I not wear my leathers, it was 95 degrees with 98 percent humidity. I couldn't stand it.

Heh, get used to it. Lots of those days around here.

Old 06-05-2009, 07:57 AM

Are there certain areas in Texas that are not as humid?

Old 06-05-2009, 08:00 AM

179 posts, read 468,539 times
West Texas (El Paso) and the pan handle!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio